Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got to assemble 10 new kits

User Info Menu

Default Got to assemble 10 new kits

Not sure if this is sad or not but I volunteered at a local drum shop to help unbox and set up new drum kits. The shop is moving to a new much bigger location so I rode down there on my motorcycle on a rare 70 degree day here in NH, and spent 3 hrs unboxing and assembling a bunch of new kits. My Favorite (and this is just the unboxing and assembling process not sound or anything else) was the Tama Starclassic B/B, burgundy with a racing stripe, and an absolutely stunning Yamaha RC in Piano black. I also unboxed and open a SC maple in the Emerald Pacific Walnut Burst and that was gorgeous as well but that racing stripe looks so much better in person.

I also unboxed a few gretsch birch renowns and marquees which were very nice, The least impressive was the Ludwig Keystone X, right out of the box all the tension screws had to be run down and back out a few times before you could insert and turn them by hand, I hate that and the hoops had a little slop in them.

Ya gotta be a special kind of drum nerd to waste 3 hrs of a perfectly good day to unbox and assemble drum kits but I loved it...LOL

20170415_122254.jpg
    20170415_123515.jpg
    20170415_122301.jpg
    Last edited by MDK; 04-17-2017 at 06:47 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got to assemble 10 new kits

I've thought of doing the same at my local shop. They always take care of me when I shop there, but they are small and don't have funds for a drum tech. The guitar techs do all of their drum work. They so their best, but there's a few things I think I could do to help them out.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I'd do it in a heart beat!

That's awesome! Looks like a super nice place!

User Info Menu

Nice of you to help out.
    They have an interesting display.
    It is very attractive; let us know if it proves functional.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yeah they have a long way to go before finished but you can tell it is gonna be spectacular when done. The 2nd picture is gonna be a sort of museum section. He has one of Ed Shaughnessy's kits there, Carmine Appice etc.Owner is a great guy who is very passionate about drums/percussion. He has every major brand you can think of plus smaller ones like Sakae, C&C, George Way, Noble Cooley etc
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Basically if anyone here is looking for a kit and has questions because they can't see it in person most likely I can go see it in person and pass on the info. wonder if I should charge for that..hmmmmmm lol
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

You are lucky, sir! I was thinking about making the same trip (I'm south of Boston). Facility looks gorgeous, the former DCP was one cavernous room in a strip mall-type place.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I was wondering if it was DCP.
    Two years ago I broke the main spring on a (fairly new) Speed Cobra.
    DCP was the only place on Earth I could find an original equipment replacement..................I ordered three of them.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Sounds like fun! This summer is the first year I'll be old enough to work and I'd love to get paid to geek out over drums but in not sure they'd hire a 14 year old
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

That's depressing news about the Keystone X. I was looking at those the last few weeks. I like the red oak hybrid...and that yellow glitter looks like it would be sweet.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    You are lucky, sir! I was thinking about making the same trip (I'm south of Boston). Facility looks gorgeous, the former DCP was one cavernous room in a strip mall-type place.
    I highly recommend it, it will literally take you 40-60 minutes to walk thr whole facility. Much better than last place Cannot wait to see some drum clinics and such there.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's depressing news about the Keystone X. I was looking at those the last few weeks. I like the red oak hybrid...and that yellow glitter looks like it would be sweet.
    I would not count them out, they still sound huge and was probably just a one off problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I was wondering if it was DCP.
    Two years ago I broke the main spring on a (fairly new) Speed Cobra.
    DCP was the only place on Earth I could find an original equipment replacement..................I ordered three of them.
    Yes, they are probably the best in the country I would guess. They will do whatever it takes to get parts and everyone there knows drums inside and out.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

If DCP is who I think it is, I just bought a new PDP Concept direct drive pedal from them. Just showed up today, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice! I would've loved to do that. Sometimes I just tear my set up down and redo it for the fun of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

It would be different to set up & tear down a kit without 5 guitar players crowding around you....and in the middle of the day and not at 1:30AM surrounded by drunk people, LOL
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I stopped in there Saturday to check out the new digs on my way up to Fortunes Rocks, ME. Unbelievable! three floors of room, after room, after room.... it just keeps going... Can't wait to see it when everything's moved and in place,
    I'd be surprised if it's not soon to be the biggest drum shop in the country.
    I see they're starting to carry DW too. Could be the distance between them and Portland is now large enough to satisfy a DW regional proximity competition policy.

User Info Menu

I agree Bob, there are also 2 floors in the basement stocked to the ceiling with drumming goodies, and a freight elevator (thank god). He could and will do so much with all that space. I love that he is getting DW. I think DW changed their policy a little because he is so successful especially compared to portland that they could not be the only major brand not being sold in what I would guess is the most successful and soon to be most popular drumming retailer in the country.

Someone made a comment that unboxing and setting up all those kits was akin to catch and release? We got to experience so many kits and did not spend a dime. : )
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I contacted the owner of my local store and volunteered my time to help them with their percussion section. The two guys who work the floor are both guitarists, and they do a fine job with the percussion section, but having someone with actual drum/percussion experience may could help them out especially when they get swamped with work. I've shopped this store for over 20 years and they take care of me. This is my way of returning several favors to them.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

A good relationship with your local guys...............that would be great.
    All I have here is a GC and their percussion area has minimal inventory with uneducated sales personnel.
    Unless I happen to be in Memphis (location of one of the all-time great shops I like to support), I buy all I need on-line.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I would definitely spend some time assembling drums in exchange for the chance to play them, and hang out in such a cool place!

User Info Menu

Pictures will follow, but I just made a day trip up to Portland from where I live and definitely spent a couple hours here.

First, this place is spectacular. I also happened to have the place almost to myself on a Sunday afternoon, which was just a treat. The counter guy showed me around the two main floors, and we spent some time swapping knowledge. He showed me all about Sonor and Tama, two brands that aren't real common in my neck of the woods, and while we were in the museum section, lol and behold there's a partial Whitney Nesting Penguin kit!

I say partial because it was a bass drum and tom, whereas they are sold with the black wooden platform, usually a second tom, a matching snare, and necessary hardware sans hi hat and throne.

The facility is gorgeous. There's also a microbrewery within walking distance! I got to poke around and see a Keplinger snare in person for the first time, which jazzed me up. There are a few Trick pedals, along with an Axis, some new DW, and Pearl Demon Drive.

I have no idea just how many snare drums they carry, but I did find a rare one (used! In pristine shape!) that I'm going to try and acquire.

I'm definitely going back tomorrow. This place is great. It's great to support your local music store, but even if you are just passing through the area, this is an excellent stop in a beautiful area. Definitely check it out.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Must have just missed ya, I went back sunday as well, took some pics of what is goiong to be the museum section soon, check out some of these old kits.

Never heard of a hollywood kit + it has volume knobs?
    20170422_130116.jpg
    20170422_130107.jpg
    Custom Made Jeff Ocheltree kit
    20170422_130028.jpg
    20170422_130023.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

portsmouth drum center?

cool place !

User Info Menu

Wow! Hollywood Drums! Here's another link i found in regards to these:
    http://www.vintagedrums.it/425287804

User Info Menu

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Sweet!