Page 106 of 118 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Sweet, that is stunning. Would probably look much better without the rack but thats just My opinion. Did you buy it at a local GC or order it online?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Sweet, that is stunning. Would probably look much better without the rack but thats just My opinion. Did you buy it at a local GC or order it online?
    I like racks but have to agree with you MDK.

When they were sitting on the floor they looked outrageous. On the rack they've lost some of the dynamic quality, IMHO, of course.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Look what I got!
    A second DW 9000XF single pedal.. now I can set up my kit as a true double bass

User Info Menu

I got it at the local GC in San Bernardino, California. I like the rack because it clears up floor space, plus the rack toms need something to hang from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemaine View Post
    I got it at the local GC in San Bernardino, California. I like the rack because it clears up floor space, plus the rack toms need something to hang from.
    Beautiful kit!

You could do it more justice by minimizing the appearance of the rack just by moving the mounts and cymbal arms to get better views of that stunning bubinga!

Here is how I do my kits racked:

Last edited by Rotarded; 10-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.

User Info Menu

yeah let me come redo your setup I'll make it super clean :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    Beautiful kit!

You could do it more justice by minimizing the appearance of the rack just by moving the mounts and cymbal arms to get better views of that stunning bubinga!

Here is how I do my kits racked:

Like!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Digging the DW/Remo clear/coated heads. 10ml single ply heads ring out the stamped timbre pitch very nicely. A 'lil hesitant about putting the EC2 back on.

Nice Rich! Love the finish, is this your first set of Dubbs?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

So Psyched to have gotten these...

Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I love that finish!

And I like the smaller lugs a lot

User Info Menu

Thanks, gang. The gun metal is sweet.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemaine View Post
    I bought these used from GC yesterday. They are exotic waterfall bubinga shells in pristine condition. These are too nice to gig with, & I'm dedicating my PDP set for a knock-around gigging kit.

You must gig these drums! Putting them in a room for only you to see and hear is a gross disservice. Truly an epic kit! I'd go to your shows just to see it 😜

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

^yeah but I wish he'd let me redo that rack setup for him

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Thanks, gang. The gun metal is sweet.
    I noticed the Evans EC2 heads on your DW performance kit. Did it come with the EC2? Next head swap, you might consider the DW/Remo stock heads. I had EC2 and now stock DW/Remo heads and I found the DW heads made the toms just sing and come to life after playing the EC2 heads.

User Info Menu

My new kit was on the floor for a while and had the EC2s on it.
    I do want to try the stock single plies next go-round.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

I love this new kit! It's definitely a considerable upgrade from my Cat Maple, which was a great kit in its own right.
    It responds to dynamics remarkably well. I was playing along to Zep in my earbuds, really laying into it and it sounded better and better as I went. This kit is a beast!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I had EC2 and now stock DW/Remo heads and I found the DW heads made the toms just sing and come to life after playing the EC2 heads.
    I agree with this so much!

When I got my DW kit last April, I bought Evans G2 Coated drum heads without thinking twice. When my DW kit finally came in, I couldn't believe how good they sounded with the stock heads, I just HAD to hear how they sounded with my sound of G2 Coated heads.

And.....disappointment. I mean, the drums still sounded good, but they sounded boxed in. They just didn't have that open sound or clarity from the stock heads.

So I did some research. DW recommends Single Ply heads. Alright, well I've always been a Double Ply guy, but I guess I can adjust to make the drums sound as best as possible.

I tried these combinations:
    DW Single Ply Coated
    Evans G1 Coated
    Evans G12 Coated
    Evans G2 Coated
    Remo Pinstripe [yes I know these are Double Ply, but I was curious]
    There may have been others...I lost track....

I would rank these trials from best to worst as: Evans G12 Coated, Remo Pinstripe, DW Single Ply Coated, Evans G1 Coated, Evans G2 Coated.

I really wanted to try Evans Black Chrome [2 Ply] or even some other Remo heads, but I was convinced that this experiment was going no where fast & was tired of wasting money & energy changing out 4 drum heads every time.

These heads all sounded good in their own right for different reasons...and on recordings they sounded fine too....but I just couldn't replicate those DW Coated/Clear heads and it was driving me crazy! I really like articulation on my drum tracks, so when I heard a lack of articulation from some of these heads on some recordings, I decided to scrap those heads.

I admit, I like the look Coated White heads, they are clean, smooth and pretty. But I wasn't getting the best sound and just had to come to grips with it.

So I had to swallow my pride, admit that the best sound behind the kit & the best sound on recordings were the DW Coated/Clear.

Yes, if money weren't an option, I would try every drum head out there, but when clearly the DW Coated/Clear heads are *THAT* much better than the rest for my DW's, and I get everything I want out of them, there is no reason to try anything else for the time being.

Currently, the Reso's that I'm running are Evans Clear Genera Reso. Great sustain!!!

The DW Coated/Clear heads give me the deep sustain of the drums, but shockingly, also give me GREAT articulation. It's the best of both worlds & I'm content with them now.

Now if they could just replicate that sound with a Coated White version......lol, nah, I'm alright. These are the best heads for my kit. For another DW kit that I get in the future, something else might be better, or other heads may sound better for a different kit like a Gretsch or a Yamaha or Tama.

It's fun experimenting, just not fun when it comes to the wallet! But I will gladly pay extra for the Coated/Clear as they are the best heads for my kit.

Until I try to find something else....!

Below is a picture of my DW's when I first got them....before the experimentation's started.....

DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Just curious... Is it possible to get new DW replacement heads whenever needed?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Just curious... Is it possible to get new DW replacement heads whenever needed?
    Yes it is.
    They sell them online or can order through most stores.
    They are nice heads for sure.

User Info Menu

Might try the Aquarian StudioX single ply heads sometime. Same principal as the DW heads, single ply clear with slight overtone control.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Yes it is.
    They sell them online or can order through most stores.
    They are nice heads for sure.
    Times have changed. I didn't think they were available a couple yrs. ago!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

As far as resonance goes, the stock heads are really the way to go. If you are individualy playing the drums or playing big, open licks a lot, they sound amazing.

For my style, I have found the stock heads overwhelming. I play fast, elaborate fills and I have found that they wash out with the stock heads. It's just too much resonance and not enough attack. If you're playing in a band practice situation or a small club, it's just too much drum.

Really though, I have came to be conclusion that re-ring drums are not my preferred instrument. I prefer the punch and attack of regular maple shells, like my Yamahas, with less sustain. You can burn on them and ever note comes through clear.

User Info Menu

I believe Neil Peart uses stock DW heads. I believe Remo makes those heads as well.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

https://flic.kr/p/S7umru

Hey guys new poster here! I'm 24 and have been playing drums for 13 years. I played a tama rockstar for 10 years and also played a pearl forum series. I just bought a dw performance series candy apple red with 8 10 12 14 16 toms and 22 bass. I also just found a used ludwig supraphonic 14x7 snare. I love this drum set, I love the deep low tones and resonant. My favorite drum being the 12 inch, I feel they sing right before the head ripples. But I am happy that I got these!
    Last edited by Plokoon111; 03-06-2017 at 08:36 AM.

User Info Menu

My first DW kit. Design Series Satin Black. I've been playing mainly Yamaha for many years, but I decided to give these a go. I've got rack parts arriving in a couple days. I got too used to a rack with my last kit and don't think I can tolerate stands on my gig kit any longer.