Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Reso Heads --- How Often ?

User Info Menu

Default New Reso Heads --- How Often ?

So what is your personal estimate of the lifespan of a reso head for your toms ?

How often do you change them ?

And..................why ?

Is it based on time (months/years) or mileage (some toms are used more than others) ?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Reso Heads --- How Often ?

I tell you what.. i almost never change the reso heads... I have the original reso heads on my Sonor kit from 1987 hahaha

All my PDP kits are still the PDP heads.
    But I guess the big difference is they all use good heads from the factory.
    If I had a super no name head like a crappy DDrum or Orbitone or the super low base pearls with "pearl heads" then I'd change them out.

User Info Menu

I change them when the drums become mine. Then.................never again.

User Info Menu

Are you supposed to change them? Are they like diapers that need to be changed every once in a while?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This goes for me as well.

Only exception is if I decide to try a different style head, like EC Resos, coated, Emperors, etc.. otherwise I don't play enough to warrant changing them. If I played a lot and had to schedule it, I'd say change reso's every 2-3 batter changes.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Ya, pretty rarely, like every ten years, or 30, depending on usage....

User Info Menu

We're supposed to change reso heads?

User Info Menu

Whenever I find that they are difficult to tune, when they become dented, scratched, or damaged, or once a year or so during a complete batter head replacement just to restart with a fresh set all around.

User Info Menu

Maybe once every year or two?

User Info Menu

Still have the stock Ludwigs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Never unless you have to with a band logo.

User Info Menu

Practically never unless in the case of accidental damage like a puncture or something.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This is the way I do it!---If i change them at all!

User Info Menu

I change my reso heads every third batter head swap. Why? The reso creates the resonance and the amount of air pushed back and forth between the batter and reso is considerable and it can wear out without being beat on. I posted this video before. It's filmed with a high speed camera at 3000 frames per second. Note how much stress the reso head takes after each stroke.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for your input.
    I decided to change out my tom-tom reso heads and ordered them this morning.
    It has been almost five years since I previously changed them and during that time I have put in many, many hours.
    In addition, I wanted to try the Aquarian Classic Clear head for my reso-tom-head.................10 mil one ply...............likely identical to the clear Ambo.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm with late on this one. I change them out about every 3rd or 4th time I change my batter heads, which ends up being about once every two years.

User Info Menu

I tend to change mine about once a year. Not necessarily out of need, but usually about once a year I want to try something completely different in terms of batter/reso combination. It's amazing to me just how different you can make once drumset sound, with different heads.

Tex

User Info Menu

Didn't watch the video but they do stretch out over time if were being technical about it. I want to change mine but never want to spend the money
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Didn't watch the video but they do stretch out over time if were being technical about it. I want to change mine but never want to spend the money
    +1.........I've always heard you should............but I always have other things to get!

User Info Menu

I have found that replacements are not a big deal but at least once every few years if you gig with them. The reso can be many things, too. I put a single head on the bottom and get lots of sustain. I put a two-ply on and all sustain goes away and the overall tone is diminished. It's a good tool depending on your needs. But you all knew that.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I should adopt the every third batter program. That'll keep me going till about AD 2050

LOL

all the bst...

User Info Menu

Change them only when I get frustrated with my tuning. I figure it's the fault of old resos!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

In the 80s I read in Modern Drummer that the resos loose their tone or stretch out or something. Anyway, they were saying to replace them after a while. I take that to mean like one yr. Now do I do that? Nope. When tuning gets difficult, I think about buying new resos

User Info Menu

Of course Modern Drummer says that. A lot of ad money comes from Remo, Evans and the rest...

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've never owned any new drums - but have always replaced all heads (except for my Premier's - the previous owner had recently replaced them with Remos).

I've replaced one snare reso, but that was because I dropped the snare and tore it..