Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: pet peeves (drum-related)

User Info Menu

Default Re: pet peeves (drum-related)

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Why do wing nuts always land under the kick pedal footboard. Is it a cosmic wing nut accumulator?
    LOL! they actually do!!
    Bridie

User Info Menu

I hate when people automatically assume I love Neil Peart just because I play drums, and drummers who think Neil is God because they have never been exposed to the really great drummers and therefore know they cannot exist.
    I've had people get angry....physically ANGRY at me because of this. It's gotten to a point where I now keep a burned CD copy of Pocupine Tree stuff in my car at all times simply so I can give it to them and make them shut up.

....and I'm not kidding.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Why do wing nuts always land under the kick pedal footboard. Is it a cosmic wing nut accumulator?
    Another good reason to use a Speed King: no big ol' footboard!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

My number one drum related pet peeve is people that want to tell me about all their drumming equipment/gear. It seems to happen at least once a week at a gig or anywhere else.

I don't care about your gear. Not at all.

I could care less about your AA's or AAX's, or your new heads, or (Gasp!) your new DW kit.

(yawn)

I'm more impressed by what they're are doing with the gear than anything else.... And in most cases, the answer is "they've done nothing with it".

#grumpy
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    My number one drum related pet peeve is people that want to tell me about all their drumming equipment/gear. It seems to happen at least once a week at a gig or anywhere else.

I don't care about your gear. Not at all.

I could care less about your AA's or AAX's, or your new heads, or (Gasp!) your new DW kit.

(yawn)

I'm more impressed by what they're are doing with the gear than anything else.... And in most cases, the answer is "they've done nothing with it".

#grumpy
    My number one peeve is related to this---someone bragging about how great their kit sounds---and they have half a roll of tape on the heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Another good reason to use a Speed King: no big ol' footboard!
    Hmmm, so do you still drive your '52 DeSoto cause it gets you there just fine?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    My number one peeve is related to this---someone bragging about how great their kit sounds---and they have half a roll of tape on the heads
    We can add drummers who treat their gear like it's some half-assed DIY project. Duct tape on heads and cymbals? Why take a beautiful instrument and make it look like crap? So you can save a few dollars on muting?

On the other extreme, I did see a guy put on white gloves to handle his cymbal, ok, he was selling it, but that seemed a bit much (the cymbal sounded like junk, even though it was a high-end paiste)...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Losing drum gear at home, normally drum keys/cymbal felts/wingnuts but my absolute all time favourite is taking a break and coming back to ONE drumstick! ARGGGH!!!

User Info Menu

Mine is drum set being called drum kit.

Kit is for a shaving kit, a first aid kit, pregnancy test kit etc...etc...

Drums are a drum set because you "set" them up!

all the best...

User Info Menu

My pet peeves? I have two. 1) The drummer that talks about his gear like it's the best ever made, and compares it to mine. In this case, he was talking about his entry level Tama kit and compared it to my Pearl Custom Z. Nothing against Tama, but it was like comparing apples to oranges. 2) The "musician" that tells me Neil Peart is the greatest drummer ever. While I will agree he is truly phenomenal, there are many more drummers out there with just as much incredible skill. Weckl and Colaiuta to name two. They usually look at me strange after that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Mine is drum set being called drum kit.

Kit is for a shaving kit, a first aid kit, pregnancy test kit etc...etc...

Drums are a drum set because you "set" them up!

all the best...
    I found this quote just for you kay-gee!

Definition of KIT

1: British: a wooden tub

2:
    a collection of articles usually for personal use ,as in “ travel kit”
    a set of tools or implements “a carpenter's kit”
    a set of parts to be assembled or worked up “a model-airplane kit”
    a packaged collection of related material “a convention kit”

b : a container for any of such sets or collections

3: a group of persons or things —usually used in the phrase the whole kit and caboodle

The trap (short for contraption) kit were a mix of items where all sorts of things were pasted together to create a useable, playable set of instruments like cymbals, wood blocks, bells, cowbells, chimes, sizzles, snares, tom-toms, legs, feet, pedals, springs, leather straps, chains, skins, hoops, rings, hinges, bolts and nuts.

best regards..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I found this quote just for you kay-gee!

Definition of KIT

1: British: a wooden tub

2:
    a collection of articles usually for personal use ,as in “ travel kit”
    a set of tools or implements “a carpenter's kit”
    a set of parts to be assembled or worked up “a model-airplane kit”
    a packaged collection of related material “a convention kit”

b : a container for any of such sets or collections

3: a group of persons or things —usually used in the phrase the whole kit and caboodle

The trap (short for contraption) kit were a mix of items where all sorts of things were pasted together to create a useable, playable set of instruments like cymbals, wood blocks, bells, cowbells, chimes, sizzles, snares, tom-toms, legs, feet, pedals, springs, leather straps, chains, skins, hoops, rings, hinges, bolts and nuts.

best regards..
    Yes, this.
    While I was a young drummer growing up in Texas, I can recall us musicians calling it a "set of drums" or a "drum set".
    The term "drum kit" sounded funny and came from the Brits.

That is my recollection.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

we do call it a kit here, don't really know why it is different, but whatever you call it everyone seems to know what you are on about.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

I am in Canada, been playing longer than a lot of you have been alive. Referring my drums as a "kit" is completely natural to me, and most musicians I know. In my world it is the most common terminology to describe the drum set. Example: are you bringing your Pearl kit? Need a hand with your kit? Whose kit are we using? I always liked that kit?....

Should I stop now?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Tubbs

User Info Menu

Pet peeve: when people come for a visit and expect me to play for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yes, this.
    While I was a young drummer growing up in Texas, I can recall us musicians calling it a "set of drums" or a "drum set".
    The term "drum kit" sounded funny and came from the Brits.

That is my recollection.
    The first time I ever heard the term drum kit was in 1976 on Rush's All the worlds a Stage album. At the start of the drum solo Geddy says " ladies and gentlemen the professor on the drum kit".

As far as things that bug me I would have to say the whole "less is more" phrase. It's total BS. Less is never more, it can't be. It also bugs me when a snobby drummer that plays a 4 piece kit looks down his nose at a drummer that plays a large kit. I've had times when this has happened. After a gig I've had drummers ask me why I need all those drums, why I don't just play a normal set. My answer is always , my style of drumming requires a larger kit, its that simple. Some guys are happy with two toms, some are happy with 6.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 12-27-2014 at 07:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Gosh, I was fearful that I was the only drummer on planet earth who failed to appreciate Neil Peart's (pee-ear-t) drumming style. Sorry, but I just don't get it. I won't go into detail concerning Neil's percussion skills, it's just good to know that there are a few others who don't worship at the Peart altar.

My other pet peeve doesn't concern drumming so much as discussion sites - SPELLING! Come on, guys. Doesn't anybody spell-check their posts? It's simple english.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

1. People who need to dis on Neil, after all he has done for rock drumming. If you don't get him it is probably something you yourself are missing, because millions of others get him.
    2. People who post their stuff on a forum, loving the attention, but never post on anyone else's threads!
    3. People who set their kits on racks, in a way that you can no longer see the drums.
    Last edited by Sticks4drums; 12-27-2014 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I have several, and almost all of them revolve around drummers complaining about other drummers. We are all different. We all have different skill sets. We all have different influences and styles. And we are all blessed differently. I may, or may not, be better than others. That is something only time will reveal. I have become more and more interested in watching Gavin Harrison. When I was younger, I thought that Neil Peart was the end all, be all drummer. Now I think differently. I don't think any less of him, I just have become more interested in Gavin Harrison from a style perspective.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

Everyone knows this one. When somebody's selling a really cheap 5 piece kit and they advertise it like a 9 piece because it has a few cymbals. They literally count every single piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

When we set up for a gig....I get the rug laid out, set up the bass, attach the tom(s).....and the guitar players instantly start setting their amps and stuff on the floor RIGHT NEXT TO MY BASS! I spend as much time moving THEIR stuff out of the way just so I can move around my kit to set up stands, cymbals, etc.. I keep telling them; I can not get my kit positioned in its final resting spot until I get everything set up and ergonomically positioned. My 5x7 drum rug is MY space, so keep your crap off of it until I'm done setting up. THEN, if there's room and you want to set your amp by my bass, you can.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I like Peart's stuff. the groove he did on Limelight is pretty crafty.That said I don't think he's the "end all,be all" to drumming. I think guys like Billy Cobham/Stuwart Copeland are every bit as good. And Tom Sawyer and YYZ are kind of like a right of passage for young drummers I suppose. My friend and I would trust his word with my life said that Rush was using "ghost musicians" on the moving pictures tour. And he's seen them a bunch of times going way back.

Pet peeve for me. I don't like tribute bands. To me it's like living on stolen glory. Anybody seen my Axl Rose wig?? I get it ya know. It's what people want to hear and it pays really good. But unless it's a cool band like a Metal church or priest band,I don't really want to hear it. I'd rather listen to the horse crap they play on the New country radio and then to listen to some crappy motley crue poser band Heck I don't care for the real motley crue! Let em die a slow painful death. The IronMaidens are pretty talented though.
    Last edited by wired; 12-02-2016 at 03:59 AM.

User Info Menu

This thread started in 2007. Almost everybody that was on the forum at that time is gone.

1) I read through the thread from the 1st post. The people on the forum at that time COULD NOT SPELL. I think they would have trouble with D-i-c-k and Jane saying "See Spot run", and then having to spell it.

2) The things that some people let trouble them. Stupid things that shouldn't bother anyone past the age of 7.

3) The debate between kit and set. I have heard "I have a set of drums" a thousand times. I have never heard "I have a kit of drums". Not once in all my years. Might as well say "I have a pile of drums", or "I have a boatload of drums", or 1 that works for almost anything, "I have a poopload of drums". I have used that phrase in reference to my ex-wives.

That's it!

User Info Menu

lol..... a poopload? better have a lot of toilet paper handy
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN