Thread: Gene Krupa!

User Info Menu

Talking Gene Krupa!

Big Krupa fan. When I was sorta out of the game, I saw a Krupa video and it really inspired me to start playing again. In fact, the guy who got me into drumming when I was like 4 or 5, Peter Criss, is a Krupa guy. If it wasn't for Gene, I probably wouldn't have gone in the swinging direction I did!

Anyways, wanted to share this sweet video I found of him. It's in the later stages of his life, and he's still rocking it. Cool set up, and dig his clothes, too. I happened to notice his snare, looks like a COB! Didn't know he actually used them. Great solo by Lionel, too.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gene Krupa!

Yes, Gene was a great drummer. He died 2 years later after that video he was 62 years old. His slingerland kit sounded great .

User Info Menu

Big Krupa fan here as well ... he played a tremendous role in bringing drumming to the forefront ...

User Info Menu

Yea...Gene !! I stole that snare drum lick he does towards the end of the song (starting at 3:18) and have used it many times on all kinds of gigs . Thanks Gene !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

A great clip of Krupa swing.
    Even better clip of a Hampton vibe solo..............wow.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great video, Zach. Thanks for posting. Buddy Rich is one of my idols, but Gene Krupa was one of HIS idols, so it's all good. Gene paved the way for guys like Buddy and those who followed. That LH solo is just added goodness.
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

I just found this amazing video with Hampton on drums! He's doing a battle with Chico Hamilton and Krupa:

Each one of them has a separate sound, so incredible. I noticed that Lionel has a big melodic thing going on, while Chico seems to play with time a lot. Krupa is just FULL ON swing. It's something I don't really hear from other drummers a lot.

A lot of people mention Buddy Rich, and I dig him, but that dude was pure technical skill. I don't even get how that happens! When I see Krupa, it blows my mind because it seems to be the complete opposite of Rich. It's like instead of pure skill, it's pure swing. Not saying Gene didn't have skill (which he did; he did, full on), but he just had this ridiculous amount of swing that I really don't think many other drummers came close to having. He could do singles and it was just as good as anyone else.

I like Buddy, but I often get exasperated by his stuff because it's pure power. It's like he's going with all he's got. It's scary. I respect it. But it's tiring! Dude's were beasts

User Info Menu

definitely a big FAN of Krupa. An influence to all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    I just found this amazing video with Hampton on drums! He's doing a battle with Chico Hamilton and Krupa:

Each one of them has a separate sound, so incredible. I noticed that Lionel has a big melodic thing going on, while Chico seems to play with time a lot. Krupa is just FULL ON swing. It's something I don't really hear from other drummers a lot.

A lot of people mention Buddy Rich, and I dig him, but that dude was pure technical skill. I don't even get how that happens! When I see Krupa, it blows my mind because it seems to be the complete opposite of Rich. It's like instead of pure skill, it's pure swing. Not saying Gene didn't have skill (which he did; he did, full on), but he just had this ridiculous amount of swing that I really don't think many other drummers came close to having. He could do singles and it was just as good as anyone else.

I like Buddy, but I often get exasperated by his stuff because it's pure power. It's like he's going with all he's got. It's scary. I respect it. But it's tiring! Dude's were beasts
    I kinda agree with you full hearted. Also check out guys like Sid Catlett, Ray Bedouc etc... These guys couldn't even hit a drum without oozing swing!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Favorite line from TV's Northern Exposure:

"Buddy had the chops, but nobody could swing like Krupa."
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I like Buddy, but I often get exasperated by his stuff because it's pure power. It's like he's going with all he's got. It's scary. I respect it. But it's tiring!
    Check out Buddy supporting Ella and Louis on the album of the same name. Completely the opposite of your description. The band consists of Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and BR. Simply sublime. Great listening for a Sunday morning.

User Info Menu

Gene was called the king of swing, buddy was called mr big band. Both were incredible drummers.

User Info Menu

totally agree
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

First time i saw Krupra i was probably about 7-8 years old watching a old black and white movie and he was playing with matchsticks on a table.. never forgot it.. (although it might not have been him and this could be totally wrong )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    First time i saw Krupra i was probably about 7-8 years old watching a old black and white movie and he was playing with matchsticks on a table.. never forgot it.. (although it might not have been him and this could be totally wrong )
    That was Krupa in Ball of Fire performing Drum Boogie! Barbara Stanwyck is the actress in the film.

User Info Menu

Ahh thanks! such an amazing scene.. (or time has just made me think so.. will have to watch it again sometime)

User Info Menu

I think you put my feelings into words I've never quite been able to express. I've lived in awe of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa since I was a child, but for totally different reasons. To me, Krupa's drumming was accessible and flowed from a swing mode that appeals to the "universal groove" that lies in the heart of each of us. In short, Buddy makes me want to listen; Gene makes me want to dance!"

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    I have also seen this TV commercial with Gene Krupa drumming with matches on a match box on The Oldsmobile Show. I also remember seeing a video of this somewhere on the web not long back ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 08-16-2015 at 05:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I have also seen this TV commercial with Gene Krupa drumming with matches on a match box on The Oldsmobile Show. I also remember seeing a video of this somewhere on the web not long back ...
    This was the only thing I could find..............pretty cool

User Info Menu

Some "match" stuff in this video also

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Google "gene krupa matchstick drumming oldsmobile show"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

haha thats the exact scene.. and seeing it almost 40 years later it looks pretty bad.. but as a kid i loved it for whatever reason...

And that clip makes me miss real women :( But i can't talk.. i don't exactly walk around looking like dean martin every day..

User Info Menu

I am fascinated by the fact that the first generation of white jazz musicians were mostly young first-generation Americans. Sons of working-class immigrants from Italy, Germany, Poland (in GK's case); Jewish immigrants from Russia & elsewhere. etc. They were relatively poor and picked-on. But they were in America and had something to say, and found jazz music as their voice. I love reading about Goodman, Krupa, Teagarden, Rollini, Teschmeyer, Venuti & Lang, et al, in those early jazz years. And characters with names like Miff, Muggsy, Wingy and Bix. And I enjoy those old recordings too. I've collected many CD's of 1920's hot jazz / 1930's swing. To paraphrase the Dead Boys from decades later, they were Young, Loud and Snotty.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 08-18-2015 at 02:24 PM.

User Info Menu

If i had to pick one big band swing drummer i like most it would probably be Buddy. Nothing against any of the others but Buddy just took it to a different level.

Watched this Louie Bellson video yesterday and the feeling i got was that it felt rushed and disjointed. Kind of like trying to cram too much into too little time. Buddy's breathed and flowed so well

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I remember Buddy used to come on the Johnny Carson show wearing his karate gi, and break boards with his hands and feet.