Thread: Interchangeable drum decals with different band names on?

User Info Menu

Question Interchangeable drum decals with different band names on?

Hi Guys
    My drummer plays in two bands with me, both completely different, with different names and logos.
    I'd like him to have two seperate lots of decals of the two bands logos on the bass skin, but I need them to be easily removable and reusable (I dont want him to have to change his entire skin for each gig though as I'm all about making set up times faster, not slower).

Anyone else doing this? Any thoughts?
    Many thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Interchangeable drum decals with different band names on?

I do this but have a Remo "vintage" look reso as the background. Printed the logo names of each band on my little printer on clear, window sticker sheets, 8"x10" size. They are static sticker types- no tape needed, but clear tape can be used. Store them on clear plastic sheets or wax paper.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Hmm interesting.
    So a white bass skin and coloured logos on a printed transparency paper.
    I'm not sure A4 size is quite going to cut it, but its a good start.
    Cheers

User Info Menu

I'll have to find it but I saw a company with that sells interchangable drum head logos. They are like a static cling and I don't know how it works but saw one advertise a magnetic one. Search custom drum logos. I can't add links as per rules. Drum Art
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 04-08-2015 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Your drummer really needs to buy a completely seperate kit for each band, with custom logo'd heads for each. This is really the best approach because once a drumset learns the set list for one band, they are difficult to retrain quickly for another band's music.

Problem solved.

Your drummer can thank me later...

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Your drummer really needs to buy a completely seperate kit for each band, with custom logo'd heads for each. This is really the best approach because once a drumset learns the set list for one band, they are difficult to retrain quickly for another band's music.

Problem solved.

Your drummer can thank me later...

Tex

I think you are probably best ASKING the drummer how he feels about swapping band names on his drums before suggesting any course of action.

On the subject of saving time - the fastest method is not to have any band name on the drums. No swapping reso heads or retuning involved.

User Info Menu

I agree with crispycritters and would like to add a band banner instead then no need to swap heads or names. Just hang it above the drummer. Goes up fast and comes down fast, fold it and you are gone.

User Info Menu

Here's what I'm going to. It may not work for the OP. I'm going to glue small velcro strips around the circumference of the drum head and a few in the middle somewhere. An artist here is going to paint me my logo's on silk cloth 26" dia. Sew the corresponding velcro reciever srtips to the back of the cloth. Simply line up and stick. On a ported and miked bass drum there would be negligable sonic difference. Maybe use less than the typical amount of muffling.

all the best...

User Info Menu

You don't put a bands name on your BD head the same way that you don't get a tat with your GF's name in it.

The former means $40+ for a new BD head, the latter opens up the possibility that the next GF could have Loreena Bobbitt syndrome.

For the band, get a banner, for the GF get a order of protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shippo_uk View Post
    Hmm interesting.
    So a white bass skin and coloured logos on a printed transparency paper.
    I'm not sure A4 size is quite going to cut it, but its a good start.
    Cheers
    Use more than 1 sheet and piece it together!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I tried swapping BD heads for the 3 bands I'm in, but that really got to be a hassle. I ended up buying 3 kits, 1 for each band. I use a different setup for each one (why would I bring a 7 piece monster rack kit to a country gig where I only need a 4 piece?), so I tailored each kit to my liking for that type of music.

It only cost me a couple more bucks than replacing the vinyl decals on my bass drum.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads