Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drum Rudiments Thread

User Info Menu

Default The Drum Rudiments Thread

I know we here at DrumChat often suggest people practise rudiments to improve skills. I also know that DrumChat is always joining new members, some of which are new to drumming altogether. So to aid newer (and older drummers) I thought it would be a good idea to post a bunch of rudiments and ask everyone to post any I've forgotten.

Practice Pad at the ready!

1. Sticking Technique: Works on isolating both hands. Play steadily (with a metronome if possible, and build up speed gradually). All these are 8th notes. Also, make sure to reverse these exercises and play with the left hand leading.

Single Strokes - RLRLRLRL
    Double Strokes - RRLLRRLL

Random Skill Builders:
    RRRLLLRL
    RRRRLLLL
    RRRLRRRL
    RRLRLRRL
    RRRRRRR
    LLLLLLLL

The Paradiddle - The basic paradiddle can be moved so that the doubles land in different places.

Basic Paradiddle - RLRRLRLL
    Alterations:
    LRRLRLLR
    RRLRLLRL
    RLRLLRLR

Double Paradiddle - RLRLRR LRLRLL
    Paradiddlediddle - RLRRLL LRLLRR
    As with paradiddles, you can move them to give new exercises.

2. Rolls:

Rolls become a little more difficult, as the object is to control the stick to bounce.

5-stroke roll:
    RRLLR

7-stroke:
    RRLLRRL

9-stroke: (take one beat)
    RRLLRRLLR

etc. etc.

3. Subdivision:

Subdivision is interesting, it involves breaking the note values that you play down into faster notes. i.e. from quarters, to 8ths, triplets, 16th, pentuplets, sextuplets, 32nds.

Keep the tempo going with your bass drum and work as follows:

Quarters:

SD|o-------o-------o-------o-------|
    BD|o-------o-------o-------o-------|

8ths:

SD|o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o---|

Triplets:

SD|o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|
    BD|o-----o-----o-----o-----|

If your having trouble with triplets, try counting (1 trip-let, 2 trip-let etc, or 1 + a, 2+a). Note: You sticking will reverse when playing triplets (RLR LRL RLR LRL)

16ths:

SD|o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|

Pentuplets:
    I'm only just adding these into my subdivisions now, as they are quite tricky to play. Your sticking will reverse like triplets because you're playing an odd number of strokes (RLRLR LRLRL RLRLR LRLRL)

SD|o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|
    BD|o---------o---------o---------o---------|

If you're having trouble, try counting hip-o-pot-a-mus or any other 5 syllable word you would like.

Sextuplets: Like two groups of triplets in the space of one beat. There's lots of ways to think about how to do this, like splitting them into two triplets (RLR LRL) or thinking in straight 8ths (RL RL RL) while counting the triplet (1 and a) for the rights. or counting 1 trip-let and-trip-let. Whatever works best for you.

SD|oooooooooooooooooooooooo|
    BD|o-----o-----o-----o-----|

32nds: Double Time 16ths!

SD|oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo|

When you can work your way up and down this exercise, you know you're drumming well.

The Flam: The Flam is used to give a bigger sound or accent a hit. It's played by hitting the drum with one hand a fraction of a second earlier than the other hand. Some rudiments can be found here.

The Drag: Similar to the flam, except that it involves playing a double stroke a fraction earlier than the hit. I can't find any exercises to put up, so I hope you can grasp the idea.

LLR RRL etc.

That's all I can think of for the moment,
    Post if I've forgotten anything.

HB58

p.s. OH! Here's an interesting sticking exercise. Play it like sextuplets and accent the single strokes. Move the single strokes around the kit. Sounds great when built up to speed:

R LL RR L
    Last edited by hellsbells58; 12-25-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Would it be possible to sticky this thread to give a good reference point for new drummers?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

what about flam/drag rudiments? i don't know how you could convey them through writing or tab form very well though...good idea btw im going to incorporate some of those exercises into my practice routine methinks merry christmas as well!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks Twiggy, I'll update that more ASAP.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

There's a link at DrumRudiments.com that has videos of a guy playing each of the 40 rudiments.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

How long does it usually take untill one can rip these rudiments off like a machine gun? I plan on putting about 30 minutes to an hour a night into working on the rudiments, as its all the free time I can afford. My kit is not going to be set up, as I REALLY want to become much better with my snare, and develope faster hand speed.

I'm open to any pointers and suggestions anyone may have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Hook
    How long does it usually take untill one can rip these rudiments off like a machine gun? I plan on putting about 30 minutes to an hour a night into working on the rudiments, as its all the free time I can afford. My kit is not going to be set up, as I REALLY want to become much better with my snare, and develope faster hand speed.

I'm open to any pointers and suggestions anyone may have.
    If you already have complete control over fast doubles, singles, and flams and you're playing them "correctly", it shouldn't take you long at all. Most of the rudiments are comprised of basically those three (in various forms).

User Info Menu

Yes and it only takes command over a small number of them to get really good. After that, it's all easier for the rest of them.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

boy how do i improve my speed of singles and double rools on the kit.i get stuck when i come up from the snare

DrumChat.com - Drummer Forum

User Info Menu

Learn everything on the snare first. Then you will be able to apply it to the kit. Start your drum rolls, drumfills off slow while practicing.

User Info Menu

Definitely. Until you've mastered them on the snare drum, it's difficult to get them around the drumset cleanly and evenly.

User Info Menu

I am a set drummer and i know rudiments help but in my high school band i play trumpet so i dont know anything but rolls and flams but my bro candle light chaos is a snare drummer and he knows all about it maybe i should learn.

User Info Menu

yes rudiments wil greatly improve and most likely change your style of playing but for the better of coures

:D
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I will absolutley start to learn rudiments i just am not all that great except for easy Metallica songs because in Lars Ulrich's early years it is all pretty simple.

User Info Menu

Interesting paradiddle drumset pattern...
    [between snare and high hats, nice and syncopated, lots of fun]
    X- indicates open high hat

HH |x-xx-x---x-xx--X-|
    SD |-o--o-oo-o--o---|
    BD |o-o--o---o-o----|
    [hope its clear enough]

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualFrog
    HH |x-xx-x---x-xx--X-|
    SD |-o--o-oo-o--o---|
    BD |o-o--o---o-o----|
    [hope its clear enough]
    I don't think it was done quite correctly.

HH |x-xx-x---x-xx-X-|
    SD |-o--o-oo--o--o--|
    BD |o-o--o---o-o--o-|
    [hope its clear enough]

Fixed.
    Last edited by hellsbells58; 03-07-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks HB58
    Sorry for the confusion,

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

RUDIMENTS RUDIMENTS RUDIMENTS why are they neglected by some drummers? I know the 40 PAS rudiments are a daunting thing to conquer, but you cannot exhibit fluid control without them. One tip I always give to students is to think you have four "building blocks" - the single stroke first, the double stroke second, followed by the flam then the drag. If you look up a copy of the PAS (Percussion Arts Society) rudiment sheet, every but every rudiment is built from combinations of two or more of these "building blocks" What's a triplet? The basic triplet are (usually) single strokes organised RLR LRL.What's a paradiddle? Two single strokes followed by a double in alternating fashion RLRR LRLL. What's a five stroke roll? Two pairs of doubles followed by a single stroke, alternating RRLLR LLRRL. I give them a sheet calling the singles, doubles, flams and drags together with the above mentioned combinations as the "7 essential rudiments" so that over time as we continue learning the others, all students have to do is to add more strokes to the established combinations. For instance, add another double to the five stroke roll and you get the seven stroke. Put a flam in front of the triplet and you'll get the flam accent. And so on. Hope this helps everyone

User Info Menu

THaks a lot for the advices. I am new at the site, and I really appreciate any and every help you can give me. I am trying to gain speed at the moment. But anyway I enjoy so much playing along with the music I like...!!! I can't even guess how it will be when I can really play some drums!

User Info Menu

Speed comes with time. You should just practice a lot and it will all come.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Hi Folks!,

Happy to be posting on this forum - I'm a newbie to this site. I've been playing drums semi-professionally for 25 years, mostly jazz, but plenty of rock, funk and blues as well. I've studied with Mike Clark, Sam Ulano, Kim Plainfield, Les DeMerle, Marvin "Smitty" Smith, Kenny Washington and others.

Regarding rudiiments - my humble opinion is to not obsess over them at the expense of musical drumming - while I think they are important, focusing on them too intently for too long a period of time can make you sound unmusical. Roy Haynes is but one master who never studied the rudiments, and he is one of the badest players that the world has ever seen. This is just but one example. Keep in mind that they were written in 1812 by Ashworth (based on European drum patterns) for military drummers. When playing with a band, regardless of style, do we want to sound like marching band drummers?

I personally have studied them extensively and would practice them as they came up in my routine, I found them useful to get some chops together but they never enter my mind when playing with a band. ehhhh - that's my two cents.

Cheers,
    Byrne

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat, Byrne, and thanks for putting rudiments in perspective. For all us newbie drummers here, we appreciate all those who have paid their dues, and have wisdom to offer!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hi Pastor Bob!

Thanks for the welcome!

One other point I wanted to make: not to bash the rudiments any more, but they also do not help you learn to play good feeling time, or reinforce one's natural ability to play good feeling time, which is exactly what other musician's want from us drummers!!

One of the greatest things you can do to improve your time is to practice reading etudes and COUNT OUT LOUD to whatever you are playing (1A2A3A4A FOR 8th notes, 1triplet 2triplet for triplets, 1eeanduh 2eeanduh for 16th notes, etc) - the reason this works so well is that the human voice, when counting out loud, has naturally great rhythm - it does not speed up or slow down.

Hope that helps someone - I am still working on it myself!

Cheers,
    Byrne

User Info Menu

I use rudiments mostly as a way to warm up, or I'll drive my wife nuts playing them on a pad when I sitting there watching the idiot box. Vic Firth has a great section on their web site that demonstrates, all the rudiments and lets you play along. http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

User Info Menu

wow, of all the time that I've been on here, I completely overlooked this thread! great resource, thanks for putting the rudiments into tab here!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.