Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does size matter ?

User Info Menu

Default Does size matter ?

I once read an interview with Neil Peart, where he said that all of his drumming revolved around variations of his BASS DRUM, SNARE DRUM, HI HAT patterns. Isn't it ironic that he would have one of the biggest drum sets in the northern hemisphere ? You don't find talent & intelligence like that everyday!

User Info Menu

Thats true, most people out side the drumming comnity think the best drummers have the biggest kits, but we know. You could have somthing to hit in every square inch of your kit, but never keep time. and thats the main purpose of our job. we keep the time. all the bells and whitle are for added variation in fills, or to crate an difernt intro to a song besides "click, click, click, click." to become an amazing drummer and percusionest you have to start small and work your way up. becouse you whould never throw a beginner on Neil Peart's drumset.
    -Chance S.
    -I Live My Life By Psalms 150:5

User Info Menu

Amen

but man who wouldnt want to jam on Neil's set?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

TRUE THAT... Just once..... K-Maybe twice........

User Info Menu

yea yea well he's crazy

User Info Menu

I was invited to their set-up one day when I was living in LA. It was at the Forum downtown (large coliseum). I got to check out his whole kit (amazing!!!) and he showed up later to chat. He was a nice guy. The kit revolved completely around him. What I found amazing too was that they have a pit in the middle of the stage where one guy sits down in there and does nothing but work the midi stuff, the electronics, and all that jazz. I had never known that prior.

User Info Menu

Thats true, but if you where going to jam on his kit, i would want to be good. kus that would be very embarising if you sucked it up in front of him, or on his holy kit.
    -Chance S.
    -I Live My Life By Psalms 150:5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer4theages
    Thats true, but if you where going to jam on his kit, i would want to be good. kus that would be very embarising if you sucked it up in front of him, or on his holy kit.
    man talk about suicide worthy. in front of neil peart, man i would probably freeze up anyways, haha! ill forget that bass drums exist or something like that.

just my luck!
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

pearts overated. isn't that standard consensus among those "in the know"

User Info Menu

Size really doesn't matter as much as some think it does. I actually downsized my kit from 9 drums to 6 drums. I just didn't have enough space to fit all that stuff in my bands jam room. I honestly Can't say I miss the extra drums I took off.

User Info Menu

The think is the more drums you have, the more you have to set up every gig. Large sets look good and are fun to play, but unless you have a roadie or you never leave the house, they just aren't practical.

User Info Menu

yeah thats thrue

User Info Menu

Neil Peart is definatly good no doubt....he wasn't overated at the time...it's just that drumming has evolved alot since Peart came onto the scene, he's not the greatest drummer now but he did help a great deal in the evolution of rock drumming

User Info Menu

so we all can agree:
    size dosent matter, BUT A BIG SIZE IS PREFERED

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    Neil Peart is definatly good no doubt....he wasn't overated at the time...it's just that drumming has evolved alot since Peart came onto the scene, he's not the greatest drummer now but he did help a great deal in the evolution of rock drumming
    I couldn't agree more.

User Info Menu

grooovy....i love being in agreement with others...

User Info Menu

I play a pretty big set. Luckily we have a crew in every venue to set it up. The stage manager dictates to the union guys. Everything is numbered on a rack system so it's consistent. I use a small kit on local pickup gigs where I set it up.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Who do you play with Limp?

User Info Menu

my kits not big but it's all i need. i'd love to have a massive kit just for awhile. i'd be in hog heaven!
    max

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Who do you play with Limp?
    A very famous group. Let's just say, you've all heard of them. I hope you all don't mind that I keep my anonymity in here. It appears noone else is using their real name either.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

sweet...what style of music LIMPy?

User Info Menu

Neil's kit is "quite the nice one" [& he was quite the influential vocal-AORock drummer]...but have you guys ever seen Terry Bozzio's kit of late?! The United Federation Spacestation USS TBoz ["T" for "Terry-Titannic"] makes NP's look like Barbie's [in that other thread]...

...& someone mentioned NP & the word [all that-] "jazz" in the same sentence...that's not allowed...that'll be one drumming traffic violation citation/demerit...[J/K, you guys!]

Start on a 4 or 5 pc w 2 or 3 cyms...if you can play well on a smaller kit, you'll play the same on a larger one [which may not always be necessarily the case in vice-versa]...i agree w the impracticality of a large kit, & no roadies! Don't believe it? Try it for a year or so...guaranteed you'll eventually scale down somewhat, & invest in a pneumatic/air tire cart & rollable riser, AWA a large enough van... [%-p

LIMPy...would it be the "Biskit?" Or would that would be too obv... /;-)
    Last edited by Trane Weck; 05-25-2006 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree with Trane... I personally am going to scale my next kit down BIG TIME. I think that soo much CAN be done on soo little. Look at all the late greats, they didnt have a 55 piece drum set. So, I'm going on a diet!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Look at Buddy Rich's set...then listen to him play...'nuf said.
    Last edited by Boo; 05-26-2006 at 11:46 PM.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Heard THAT, Boo.
    All the truly great players can lay waste to a 4 pc kit w 2 or 3 cyms [AWA play simply, softly, tastefully, musically].

Laugh if you will, but even Ringo played some tasty stuff w the Beatles on his little Buddy trap set [but notice i didN'T say "he played like Buddy"]...

But if you can play well on a small kit, i find nothing wrong indeed if you want to play a large one...more toys can be fun, especially all the nifty little toms & FX cymbals & such, LH/FT, x/remote HHs [...4get what ragging the other bandmates might give you about that, jes' TUNE 'em out ]...fer instance, i dig the way fonkay-fuso-jazzy Carter B uses his semi-large kit w DMB...
    Last edited by Trane Weck; 05-26-2006 at 01:17 PM.