Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drum clinic question?

User Info Menu

Default drum clinic question?

Hey guys i'm going to a drum clinic here on the 18th and i'm excited to go b/c there gonna have a professional drummer there that's played drums for 30+ years and they will have an e-kit and an acoustic kit set-up.........also they will be raffling off snares and other stuff (i hope that i can get a wood snare or a double bass pedal if they raffle it off =) ) but i'm not too sure what to expect....has anyone in this fine forum ever been to a drum clinic? and if so what's it like? thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum clinic question?

I haven't been to one in years...but the last one I went to was with a latin jazz clinician. He showed us how to break down different latin beats to better understand them. It was pretty cool, and it helped a lot. Towards the end he brought a few of us up to try some stuff out. I had a great time!

Oh, and I won a Zildjian Planet Z ride which was raffled off

Have fun, and be a sponge with the information!!
    Last edited by RHD03; 04-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

wow that's cool...yeah i definately will be a sponge with the information. anything drum related and i'm like a kid in a candy store lol....this drum clinic covers rock, jazz, and country i believe (i lost the piece of paper that told what was gonna be covered lol) but yeah i'm excited to go =) also anyone else that has ever been to one go ahead and comment...i'm intersested to hear what your experiences were and what was teached

User Info Menu

I've seen clinics by both Steve Smith and Kenny Aronoff. I consider both those clinics to have changed my drumming forever.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

Damo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drummer118 View Post
    Hey guys i'm going to a drum clinic here on the 18th and i'm excited to go b/c there gonna have a professional drummer there that's played drums for 30+ years and they will have an e-kit and an acoustic kit set-up.........also they will be raffling off snares and other stuff (i hope that i can get a wood snare or a double bass pedal if they raffle it off =) ) but i'm not too sure what to expect....has anyone in this fine forum ever been to a drum clinic? and if so what's it like? thanks
    Ill go you one better - Ive not only attended, but PUT ON drum clinics whenever I can. I have hosted such players as Jojo Mayer, Kenny Aronoff, John Blackwell, Dom Famularo, Mike Portnoy, Tomas Haake and others

Its well worth checking them out if you havent seen what clinics are all about

Very educational!

User Info Menu

Impossible to say. Some give really good information, some are just a drummer showing off. Best I've ever seen were by Dom Famularo.

Go, learn, enjoy.

Andy

User Info Menu

Tommy Igoe clinic is coming up soon, think I might go check him out.
    the best I attended was Horacio hernandez.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

In a few weeks, I'll be off to my first drum clinic ever as well - Jojo Mayer.

I've heard from my buddy that some are just wanks, but others you can learn from. Guess it depends on your mindset. If you are not interested in learning jazz, then going to a jazz drummer clinic might not be much use. If you go with an open mind, then your head will probably explode with information and ideas. At least that's what I'm hoping for...might have to wear a helmet to keep the pieces from injuring the peeps around me...
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

So, who is the clinician? You never did say.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

hey guys i found the piece of paper...let's see it says topics include: Drum styles, picking your drum set, drum tuning techniques, drum playing techniques, cymbal playing/choosing, Rock, country, christian ect.

and the clinician is Jim Miller...he's played drums for 30+ years so i hope he can teach some pretty interesting stuff

User Info Menu

hey guys the drum clinic is today!! i'm getting there at 10 a.m. and it starts at 11, i'll tell you how it goes, i'm excited!!!

User Info Menu

Have a blast dude. soak it all up.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Can't wait to hear about it!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Jim Miller will put on a great clinic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Jim Miller will put on a great clinic.

wow man did he!!! i got there at 10:30 it started at 11:15-20 somethin (started a lil late) and i got back at 4:20! and man was it great, he taught so much and all the other drummers there were so nice and informative i could've lived there lol. also i won a 12'' aquazarian china cymbal (from the raffle which is great, the only bad thing is i don't have another stand to put it on so i have it mounted upside-down on top of my crash-ride lol) also at the end they were letting the other drummers come up and either play on the e-kit or the tama acoustic kit (which sounded great) to a bass track and a 11 year old kid went up there and was awesome, he'd been playing for 1 year and a 1/2 and made me feel bad lol

i was gonna play but after that, nope. also they might have another clinic later on and (i hope) they said they might set-up some drum lessons at the local pawn shop with Jim miller teaching i hope they do....but after all that i have an even greater passion for drumming. i can type on and on about how great it was and how it's made me love drumming even more but there is 1 thing i didn't like.....and that's the last person's name drawn in the raffle got a brand-new piccolo snare....and i didn't =( lol j/k but all and all, i'd do it again, and i LOVE my new 12'' aquarian china cymbal (sorry if it sounds like i'm bragging i'm not and sorry for the long post but this was a great experience and i'm still excited!!) so thank you all at drum chat for this awesome web-site and happy drumming

User Info Menu

No, no, that is is EXACTLY what we want to hear. Thanks for letting us be there through you!!

Congrats on the cymbal!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

hey thanks charlie (i didn't wanna come off as bragging-like) i wish you guys could've been there, hey a drummer can never learn enough right? and i know china cymbals are supposed to only be used as accents but is it wrong when i first brought it back that i used it as an extra crash? lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Impossible to say. Some give really good information, some are just a drummer showing off.
    Go, learn, enjoy.

Andy
    YUP.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Tommy Igoe clinic is coming up soon, think I might go check him out.
    the best I attended was Horacio hernandez.
    He's in Dayton, OH tonight and I'll be there. It's only an hour and a half but this will be my first clinic and I'm really looking forward to it.

-Scott

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    He's in Dayton, OH tonight and I'll be there. It's only an hour and a half but this will be my first clinic and I'm really looking forward to it.

-Scott

hey man get ready to have a great time!

User Info Menu

I have not been to one, but I hear they are pretty good. Enjoy and have fun.

User Info Menu

Dom Famularo Is My Favorite (not Just Because We Look Alike.)...but One The Best Motivators On Da Palnet....if Ya Gert Da Chance Dont Miss It (and Tell Em Brother Phrogge Sez Hello)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

You sound pumped up, #118...good for you. I see now that Tommy Igoe clinic is on the road. It will be fantastic!!

User Info Menu

Clinics are awesome, like a free drum lesson from a pro! I'll never forget my first clinic 10 years ago. Akira Jimbo layed it down! He has a very inovative style and did some really cool things with triggers, though his English was pretty terrible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Dom Famularo Is My Favorite (not Just Because We Look Alike.)...but One The Best Motivators On Da Palnet....if Ya Gert Da Chance Dont Miss It (and Tell Em Brother Phrogge Sez Hello)
    Dom is one of my faves! what a masterful player and double bass???!!!??
    WOW!

The only clinic I have ever been to was for Paiste/Sonor back in 1980 with Nicko McBrain.

-Les