Thread: What to get?

User Info Menu

Default What to get?

I have been drumming since the age of 5 and went through drumline and all that good stuff. Used to be in a band but just stopped playin for no reason at all other then burnt out and took up the guitar....Lately a good friend of mine convinced me to start a band with him but I am going to go ahead and get a new set. My limit is $4000.00 but I really want to stay at the 1000 mark. I have always used Pearl but am open to any suggestions.Anyways im not sure what is new in the drum world so thats why I come to you....Oh ya, Im not much for double bass drumsets so skip those. Thanks in advance to all that reply.

User Info Menu

Look around, go to your local drum store and ask around and look at what they have for sale.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the drum forum and welcome back to drumming. You will get a lot of good advise on here. There is a great group of people here.
    Last edited by PokerDrummer; 01-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Well ya of course go to the store but, I would rather have honest opinions from fellow drummers then to be sold on something from someone trying to make a sell. Oh and thanx for the warm welcome

User Info Menu

Well, If you're limit is 4000$ you might look around for any DW-drum...

User Info Menu

Actually if it comes to it I have a custom set I will be ordering from Spaun custom drums.....But since this little project is nothing serious at the moment im not so easily going to drop that much cash on this....there are so many sets priced around the $1000 mark that Id rather see what are the better ones and so forth

User Info Menu

for that price i would look for a good used pro kit. you could prolly find something real nice, i've seen several older pearl masters kits like mine for under or around a grand for 5-7 pc kits. older yamaha recording custom kits are a great buy for a used pro kit. how many pieces are you looking to buy? if you are only looking for a 3 or 4 pc. shell pack you could maybe even do better for 1k. like newer masters, yamaha oak or maple customs, tama starclassic, i have seen the occasional dw 3 or 4pc. kit sell on ebay in that range. there is a killer birdseye maple mapex orion 4 pc sitting in my local drum shop right now for 1k.
    if you want a nice new kit for under a grand, i'll say it again gretch catalina is the best cheap kit i've ever heard. 600 bucks.

User Info Menu

Default 700 $

u might still be able to pick up a pretty sweet gretsch shell pack. for 700 us.
    for 2006 includes free 16" tom dimensions go like so 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    an 14 x 6 snare. also all the shells are maple .Ive read bout 30 reviews on this kit and only 1 of those was bad. if you see pics on the net of the 2 finishes that this kit comes in dont worry ive seen it with my eyes beautiful finish. the average rating on this kit is 9.5 out of 10. my only suggestions towards this is get new top skins. try music123 . com for gretsch catalina maple shell pack . that is if you like gretsch. if i had the coin i d buy one myself!

User Info Menu

well ive never played gretsch but, thats what this is all about....Your opinions so thank you lou im on my way this second to check it out.

User Info Menu

yeah lou has a good idea with the gretsch. i've got a step up from that, a renown maple kit and its terrific. i know the catalina series is good too i've played them.

User Info Menu

I actually did not like the finish on the gretsch...I like the blue alien but it was a 4 piece and I want a 5 or 6 which i should of said so from the start....Im really digging these sets but what r the real diffrences in both?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Tom?sku=448883

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Tom?sku=449178 What makes it $100 more?

User Info Menu

Ahhh im soooo annoyed....Everytime I find something that I like it says like intermediate on one site then entry level on the other...I really dont want a entry level...I give up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stickytape706
    I actually did not like the finish on the gretsch...I like the blue alien but it was a 4 piece and I want a 5 or 6 which i should of said so from the start....Im really digging these sets but what r the real diffrences in both?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Tom?sku=448883

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Tom?sku=449178 What makes it $100 more?
    The first is an EXR and the second is an ELX. The difference is the finish. The ELX is the more expensive finish of the two. Kind of like the difference between a Sonor 2005 and a Sonor 3005.
    Last edited by PokerDrummer; 01-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stickytape706
    Ahhh im soooo annoyed....Everytime I find something that I like it says like intermediate on one site then entry level on the other...I really dont want a entry level...I give up
    The Pearl Export line is Pearls Entry Mid level line. They do have the Forums that are below the Exports in Quality. The Exports are a nice set. The biggest downfall that I see with them is that they are poplar shells.

User Info Menu

Anyone play this yet? http://www.music123.com/Gretsch-Drum...-i145312.music
    Im really considering that one if I can find it.

User Info Menu

the exr is a wrapped finish and the elx is a laquer finish.
    the export is an intermediate kit. the differnce between the export and the forum is some of the features. the export is equipped w/ the i.s.s suspention systm and comes with alot of dif. finishes. the forum mounting arms penetrate the shell, and they only come in wrapped finishes. they are both made with the same poplar shells.
    i seriously think export has fallen behind in the intermediate kit market. they are built a little better than pdp, but even pdp maple drums SOUND better imo.
    if you are looking for cool finishes like export but with a maple shell pdp might be something to look at. i have heard from a couple people who have had bearing edge and drilling issues w/ pdp but were corrected quicky by thier customer service.
    i thought the if. between force 2005 & 3005 WAS 20005-birch and 3005-maple.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 01-05-2007 at 10:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    i thought the if. between force 2005 & 3005 WAS 20005-birch and 3005-maple.
    You might be right. I am not 100% sure I guess. I just figured they were like the exports. My bad. Thanks for the clarafication.