Thread: Trick PRO 1-V “BIGFOOT” PEDALS

User Info Menu

Default Trick PRO 1-V “BIGFOOT” PEDALS

This isn't going to be one of those "This pedal is perfect" reviews just because I have one.

I read the buzz about how these pedals are really gaining popularity among metal drummers for their speed, precision, fluidity and power. These are considered by many to be the top of the pedal food chain. Naturally, like any drummer with OCD /Gear Acquisition Syndrome, I folded to the buzz and purchased a pair. I like to homogenize hardware brands when possible. The amount of drafting board (ok CAD software) sweat and mental energy that went into these pedals is obvious. I appreciate the hoop clamp system and the clearance it offers.

I despise pedals that have clamps so tall that they interfere with/limit footboard travel. This footboard clamp has a separate section that will slide the pedal closer or further from the hoop for optimum beater angle of attack. The singular most practical and cool feature for me is the giant spring tension knob. I can remain seated and adjust the (compression) springs. Simply not having to mess with a tiny pull-down tension knob with the ancient “spring on a hook” setup is worth it to me. There are clean laser markings to set the angle of everything. The large control surfaces are a godsend. The huge footboards let my feet to go from happy to glad. Direct-drive means zero lash or sloppiness at any speed. It’s also a very efficient and accurate way of translating biological input into mechanical output. I can’t forget that the double pedal is really two active pedals, not an active and a drone for the left foot. This feature makes complete sense if you really want both feet to be able to do what both hands do via balanced and symmetrical pedal action.

I recently separated the pedals on individual kick drums. I like the feel even better this way. They have that “Always under your feet” response. They are very easy for heel up or heel down playing.
    Ok, before this sound like a commercial for the product, I have caveats. First: The lightweight beater (65 grams) is great for tippy-tapping with speed but not much power. I do not like the screw-in plastic face. It would be better with a rubber or metal insert. But I digress, I don’t use the beater because it’s too light for me. The dominator beaters look like fancy car rims are heavier at 95 grams.

They can produce nice results, but because they are metal, do not sound as low as felt or some other beaters. I prefer to use the pearl quadbeater and my Danmar felt beaters. I like Carmine Appice’s philosophy on kick playing. “Newer drummers play really fast with the beater ¼” from the drumhead. I play with a heavier beater pulled way back. I play almost as fast, but with a lot more power.” (Paraphrasing his words.)

These are great pedals, don’t get me wrong. They are 100% made in the USA and very well executed, among the best available. That being said, I could use Axis-A longboards and be just as happy. If I had axis-a longboards already, I’d not get rid of them for trick. If I was in the market for the two, it would come down to feel…not performance. The trick has some more conveniences, but in the bottom line analysis they are both superb pedals.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-09-2009 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trick PRO 1-V “BIGFOOT” PEDALS

Thanks for such a balanced review AL LOY! Is it a fair assumption that since they are "Bigfoot" pedals, that the pedal board is longer?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Excellent review. Now you got me thinking...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks for such a balanced review AL LOY! Is it a fair assumption that since they are "Bigfoot" pedals, that the pedal board is longer?

The footboard is almost identical to the axis a LB. It's 12" long.

What a "longboard" signifies mostly, is that there is no hinge directly under your foot, just the surface of the board. A non long board may be physically as long, but there will be a division, upper board, hinge and heel plate.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks AL. I didn't realize that the longboard was basically a non-hinged board. Interesting, but probably too expensive for me to explore.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trick PRO 1-V ?BIGFOOT? PEDALS

thanks for th
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

thanks for the review. though could you explain the advantages and disadvantages of longboards and shortboards?

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christiandrummer777 View Post
    thanks for the review. though could you explain the advantages and disadvantages of longboards and shortboards?
    People that play metal heel up tend to use more of the footboard. The longer surface makes this technique easier. Heel-toe practitioners can use this pedal, but (from what I have seen) most prefer the short board.

So there is a little advantage for heel up on the long, heel down on the short.

User Info Menu

ahhh that makes sense. thanks i didnt know that. see im getting a yamaha double bass pedal in the next few weeks, and i kinda new to double bass, i can play dragonforce though. anyway i can do paradidles, fast 16ths etc.. but i have developed the heel toe technique on my single to allow me to play double rymthms on a single. and yet when im on a double i feel extremely comfortable playing heel up. thats why i like dw aand yamaha, their footboards are perfect. anyway thank you. and dude sick beaters.

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

ahhh that makes sense. thanks i didnt know that. see im getting a yamaha double bass pedal in the next few weeks, and i kinda new to double bass, i can play dragonforce evem though im mainly a jazz guy. anyway i can do paradidles, fast 16ths etc.. but i have developed the heel toe technique on my single to allow me to play double rymthms on a single. and yet when im on a double i feel extremely comfortable playing heel up. thats why i like dw aand yamaha, their footboards are perfect. anyway thank you. and dude sick beaters.

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

ahhh that makes sense. thanks i didnt know that. see im getting a yamaha double bass pedal in the next few weeks, and i kinda new to double bass, i can play dragonforce though. anyway i can do paradidles, fast 16ths etc.. but i have developed the heel toe technique on my single to allow me to play double rymthms on a single. and yet when im on a double i feel extremely comfortable playing heel up. thats why i like dw aand yamaha, their footboards are perfect. anyway thank you. and dude sick beaters.
    I do like the solid link flying dragons. You can play anything on them. very underrated pedals.

User Info Menu

pretty much everything yamaha is underated. im actually getting the double chain version. though might switch in the straps for fun. have you had any experince with the pedals?

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

pretty much everything yamaha is underated. im actually getting the double chain version. though might switch in the straps for fun. have you had any experince with the pedals?
    I've played them, they work just as well as their counterparts from pearl and tama.

User Info Menu

I sold my bigfoot pedals, this was necessary due to my pending move.

I had to ask myself, would I buy them again? Honestly, no. I can get all the performance I need form some Iron cobras or flying dragons for 1/2 the price. $700+ for a pair of pedals is a frivolous expense in this economy. They are great pedals, but I just don't need them.

I'd say: save your money, especially if you have not reached the limits of $350 a pair pedals.

To put it in perspective: A pair of trick pedals cost as much as a decent 6-pc intermediate drum kit.

Entirely too much myth and hype surround the trick, axis and demon drive pedals.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-01-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

Good review.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

I have the Yamaha FD's and used them for a week or so and went back to my IC's.They just feel better to me, and I guess I'm just more comfortable with them.$700 on a pedal IMO is just buying into the hype, thou I have been giving some thought to grab'n a used trick pedal.Also. I see IC's on Craigs all the time for $100 to $150 and ya can't beat them at that price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I have the Yamaha FD's and used them for a week or so and went back to my IC's.They just feel better to me, and I guess I'm just more comfortable with them.$700 on a pedal IMO is just buying into the hype, thou I have been giving some thought to grab'n a used trick pedal.Also. I see IC's on Craigs all the time for $100 to $150 and ya can't beat them at that price.
    I highly recommend used trick/axis on ebay. Going that route, you save a lot.

Meanwhile, if the IC works... stick with it. There is no reason to spend more when you have something that works.

A lot of it is the emperors new clothes syndrome. Once the honeymoon wears off and you re-examine the situation you find you had a perfectly good ic, and spent twice the money on a pedal that you may like less.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.