Thread: Trick PRO 1-V “BIGFOOT” PEDALS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Trick PRO 1-V “BIGFOOT” PEDALS

This isn't going to be one of those "This pedal is perfect" reviews just because I have one.

I read the buzz about how these pedals are really gaining popularity among metal drummers for their speed, precision, fluidity and power. These are considered by many to be the top of the pedal food chain. Naturally, like any drummer with OCD /Gear Acquisition Syndrome, I folded to the buzz and purchased a pair. I like to homogenize hardware brands when possible. The amount of drafting board (ok CAD software) sweat and mental energy that went into these pedals is obvious. I appreciate the hoop clamp system and the clearance it offers.

I despise pedals that have clamps so tall that they interfere with/limit footboard travel. This footboard clamp has a separate section that will slide the pedal closer or further from the hoop for optimum beater angle of attack. The singular most practical and cool feature for me is the giant spring tension knob. I can remain seated and adjust the (compression) springs. Simply not having to mess with a tiny pull-down tension knob with the ancient “spring on a hook” setup is worth it to me. There are clean laser markings to set the angle of everything. The large control surfaces are a godsend. The huge footboards let my feet to go from happy to glad. Direct-drive means zero lash or sloppiness at any speed. It’s also a very efficient and accurate way of translating biological input into mechanical output. I can’t forget that the double pedal is really two active pedals, not an active and a drone for the left foot. This feature makes complete sense if you really want both feet to be able to do what both hands do via balanced and symmetrical pedal action.

I recently separated the pedals on individual kick drums. I like the feel even better this way. They have that “Always under your feet” response. They are very easy for heel up or heel down playing.
    Ok, before this sound like a commercial for the product, I have caveats. First: The lightweight beater (65 grams) is great for tippy-tapping with speed but not much power. I do not like the screw-in plastic face. It would be better with a rubber or metal insert. But I digress, I don’t use the beater because it’s too light for me. The dominator beaters look like fancy car rims are heavier at 95 grams.

They can produce nice results, but because they are metal, do not sound as low as felt or some other beaters. I prefer to use the pearl quadbeater and my Danmar felt beaters. I like Carmine Appice’s philosophy on kick playing. “Newer drummers play really fast with the beater ¼” from the drumhead. I play with a heavier beater pulled way back. I play almost as fast, but with a lot more power.” (Paraphrasing his words.)

These are great pedals, don’t get me wrong. They are 100% made in the USA and very well executed, among the best available. That being said, I could use Axis-A longboards and be just as happy. If I had axis-a longboards already, I’d not get rid of them for trick. If I was in the market for the two, it would come down to feel…not performance. The trick has some more conveniences, but in the bottom line analysis they are both superb pedals.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-09-2009 at 02:05 PM.