Thread: Trick 14x5" RPM aluminum snare

User Info Menu

Default Trick 14x5" RPM aluminum snare

THE SNARE DRUM is unique because they use a series of milled air slots (vents) around the shell to equalize air flow in and out of the drum. It’s called “Radial Pressure Management” or RPM. RPM is no marketing gimmick! RPM is not like cutting giant vent holes or a bunch of randomly placed vents. These milled channels provide the same benefit as oversized vents in terms of volume, sensitivity and articulation, but without the penalty of drying out the sound. The engineers at trick did some very effective R&D. This snare has some similarities to other aluminum shelled snares. However, it goes beyond what others can do dynamically, thanks in part to the RPM system. I have to say: the GS-007 multi-position snare throw is, IMO the single greatest throw in the history of drumming. The GS-007 is precise, and eerily smooth. It has a several setting for variably tensioning the wires.

The sound these snare drums give you is that satisfying warm-fuzzy feeling. The response is crisp and uniform throughout its amazing dynamic range. The sound does not change character between soft and loud. It’s very warm and as full-bodied as one could ask for. Rim shots are powerful, and well-defined. Tapping on the drum or really laying into it, you are rewarded with a world class snare sound. It has an extended performance envelope for any type of playing. I chose 5x14 because pitch is more of a function of a snare drums diameter, not shell depth. I prefer the added articulation of a shallower shell, and the instant response. That’s also why I chose the tom and kick depths I did. Finally, the snare wire attachment cables are nylon-sheathed steel. No “stretchy” cheap plastic straps.

Strengths: Very warm, crisp and very loud and articulate. Very sensitive and versatile with multi position throw. Massive dynamic and tuning range that exceeds the Pearl Ultracast.

Weaknesses: probably too loud for jazz (without brushes), does not have that steel snare “brightness” or high end cut. Not quite as versatile as Ludwig supraphonic.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trick 14x5" RPM aluminum snare

Excellent review. I'd loove to have one. I've played with that throw-off system and it is crazy nice.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

nice review and nice snare. i play alot of jazz so i dont know how it would work for me. if i ever becam a metalhead or a rock star playing huge venues, would this snare work for me, however it seems very very nice. thanks for the review.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christiandrummer777 View Post
    nice review and nice snare. i play alot of jazz so i dont know how it would work for me. if i ever becam a metalhead or a rock star playing huge venues, would this snare work for me, however it seems very very nice. thanks for the review.
    I won't say that its just for metal, but I would not use it for acoustic jazz, or inside a church.

For jazz, I'd opt for a vintage mahogany, steambent maple or walnut...

Larrysperf Guest

Nice review but I think I will stay with my Ludwig supraphonic and pearl snare as they can do it all for me. Nuff said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Nice review but I think I will stay with my Ludwig supraphonic and pearl snare as they can do it all for me. Nuff said
    A ludwig supraphonic brass with a trick throw would probably be my favorite snare drum overall. I may mod one one of these days. I like the functionality of multi positions to go with the Lud AL LOY shell.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AL LOY View Post
    A ludwig supraphonic brass with a trick throw would probably be my favorite snare drum overall. I may mod one one of these days. I like the functionality of multi positions to go with the Lud AL LOY shell.
    Nope mines staying stock I dont like to mess with a good thing other than snares (pursound)

User Info Menu

Nope mines staying stock I dont like to mess with a good thing other than snares (pursound)

I know they work, but I don't like any ludwig throws. I have grown accustom to multistop and won't have any more snares without that feature, even if I have to install them myself.

Larrysperf Guest

I know they work, but I don't like any ludwig throws. I have grown accustom to multistop and won't have any more snares without that feature, even if I have to install them myself.
    Trick and dunnet are very nice but my Ludwig is a classic so it will stay I still have the original snare to put back on

User Info Menu

Nice review there
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Nice snare and review! I would love to try one out sometime.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

Larrysperf Guest

? Al loy you work for trick drums

User Info Menu

Man, I could hear what you just wrote.

Very well done. Thank you for the effort!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

? Al loy you work for trick drums
    No, I work for Uncle Sam until I retire after 26 years this June.

Incidentally, for those of you reading this: The implication is that I wrote too much, and apparently too favorably about Trick products. I wrote reviews for some paiste cymbals, but I don't work for them either. All of my reviews are 100% true, without being overboard "all is perfect" as I spelled out limits of each product.

I was going to write a review of my Gibraltar ultra-adjust legless hi-hat stand (no, I don't work for them, or Kamen) because all the stuff is on my current kit and easier to write an opinion about than something I am not playing.

I could write about my previous Pork Pie or Pearl kit, but I have to say up front that I don't work for Bill Detamore or Gene Okimoto either. I just follow the old addage "Write about what you know." This also means stuff I can provide recordings of, and compare them.

And no, I don't work for Apple (imac) Presonus (interface) Shure, AKG, Stirling Audio or Audix, or the guys that made the ice drum kit for hellacopter or any associated music companies or sales.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-12-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Accused of being a corporate shill.

Larrysperf Guest

No, I work for Uncle Sam until I retire after 26 years this June.

Incidentally, for those of you reading this: The implication is that I wrote too much, and apparently too favorably about Trick products. I wrote reviews for some paiste cymbals, but I don't work for them either. All of my reviews are 100% true, without being overboard "all is perfect" as I spelled out limits of each product.

I was going to write a review of my Gibraltar ultra-adjust legless hi-hat stand (no, I don't work for them, or Kamen) because all the stuff is on my current kit and easier to write an opinion about than something I am not playing.

I could write about my previous Pork Pie or Pearl kit, but I have to say up front that I don't work for Bill Detamore or Gene Okimoto either. I just follow the old addage "Write about what you know." This also means stuff I can provide recordings of, and compare them.

And no, I don't work for Apple (imac) Presonus (interface) Shure, AKG, Stirling Audio or Audix, or the guys that made the ice drum kit for hellacopter or any associated music companies or sales.
    Just a simple ? no more no less

User Info Menu

Just a simple ? no more no less
    Just makings sure. The last forum I was in (rhymes with Dumber Curled ) I did a review, and some idiot trolled after me for a month because he could not accept that someone liked something better than his stuff.

Again, nothing is perfect, but I don't work for anyone in the music trade.

User Info Menu

That was a very insightful review, Al Loy...I really appreciate your candid appraisal as it relates to the Ludwig Supraphonic snare. I have a Supra, 1964 Supraphonic 400 to be exact and enjoy playing it very much. Coated ambassador batter with Remo "Hazy" reso and Puresound 30 strand "Metrix" snares. The only thing I don't like is that, being a 5 1/2 x 14, it is a high pitch drum. I would probably like a 6 x 14 model.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    That was a very insightful review, Al Loy...I really appreciate your candid appraisal as it relates to the Ludwig Supraphonic snare. I have a Supra, 1964 Supraphonic 400 to be exact and enjoy playing it very much. Coated ambassador batter with Remo "Hazy" reso and Puresound 30 strand "Metrix" snares. The only thing I don't like is that, being a 5 1/2 x 14, it is a high pitch drum. I would probably like a 6 x 14 model.

The differences between the luddie trick are simple, but obvious by design.

The luddie: Crisper with more high end cut/brightness.
    The Trick: fatter and warmer in the middle. A touch darker.

Some people like a wood sounding snare (like the trick) or a metallic, but musical snare (like the luddie.) I consider them different flavors, not one vs the other. If It wasn't a recession right now, I'd own both.