Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Translation

User Info Menu

Default Need Translation

I order a super sweet Mule skin from a fella in Greece. We had several e-mails back and forth but I don't understand what he is telling me as far as putting on the skin. Can someone translate and make the instruction easier for me?

"Put the skin on the water for not more than 6 hours.

Then mount it on your conga but on the interior rim put some textil around in order to don't flip the skin.

Leave the rims very high (same high with the top) and leave it to dry 1-2 days.Always check the lugs if they need some tension but just with your fingers.Not to much!!!

When it's totally dry tension it normally not to tension as the Mule is very strong skin and need its time in order to break it.

After 1 month please contact me and sedn me photos to see who they are and thereafter I will recomend you the Oily-Care Treatment.Please be sure that this treatment is not for all the skins and also is recommended only for my Mules as they have the certain skin treatment to absorve my oily method.If you use it to other skins you just bleach them and they loose 30-40% of the quality.Just follow my instructins for the certain skin."

Hi Mike ,

No let it lay on the top of the skin and keep it for a while the end near to the skin in order to egt dry "stuck" together.
    piece of tissue(thin shirt is wicked!) more less 2cm and long as you can.You warp around the interior rim with that and thereafter you don't have "flip".
    "flip" is when the skin goes very easily down so the rims goes very down from the beginning.Not so nice!
    Keep the rims very high for 1-2 days.hen tension it with "Baby Care"..Patience and the Mule will give you a Big Smile.Tension with the time is better..
    "

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Translation

Very confusing indeed, rather than try to translate, I'll just give you instructions.

Soak your skin in warm water for about 3-6 hours until it is very plyable. Lay it on a flat surface and center your flesh hoop on the skin. Place the rim over the flesh hoop. Tuck the skin over the flesh hoop and pull it through the inside of the rim. Center on the drum and apply downward pressure on the rim. Finger tighten the lugs, just enough to hold the head in place. Use needle nose pliers to pull on the excess skin and remove any folds there might be.

Use a razor blade to cut away the excess. I'd suggest putting a credit card or something in between the rim and the skin when cutting, so you don't slice into the new skin by accident. Dry it upside down on a flat surface so you don't end up with a concave head. I suggest atleast 4 days to a week before tightening it up, I think his suggestion was not long enough.

So there ya go, its actually very easy to do. If you can't follow the directions check out the lp website, they have videos to help.

Goodluck, can't wait to see the finished result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Very confusing indeed, rather than try to translate, I'll just give you instructions.

Soak your skin in warm water for about 3-6 hours until it is very plyable. Lay it on a flat surface and center your flesh hoop on the skin. Place the rim over the flesh hoop. Tuck the skin over the flesh hoop and pull it through the inside of the rim. Center on the drum and apply downward pressure on the rim. Finger tighten the lugs, just enough to hold the head in place. Use needle nose pliers to pull on the excess skin and remove any folds there might be.

Use a razor blade to cut away the excess. I'd suggest putting a credit card or something in between the rim and the skin when cutting, so you don't slice into the new skin by accident. Dry it upside down on a flat surface so you don't end up with a concave head. I suggest atleast 4 days to a week before tightening it up, I think his suggestion was not long enough.

So there ya go, its actually very easy to do. If you can't follow the directions check out the lp website, they have videos to help.

Goodluck, can't wait to see the finished result.
    Thanks so much. As soon as I get the Matadors the conga original buffalo is turning to mule!

User Info Menu

I had mules on my old Classics and they sounded incredible. You will be very happy with the result BC!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I had mules on my old Classics and they sounded incredible. You will be very happy with the result BC!
    I hear about a month or two to work in and get at the sweet warm tones?

User Info Menu

Gretschhead has got it right, the only thing I would add and I don't think I could do it without is my cardboard. I have a 2'x2' cardboard that I save just for re skinning, without it the wet skins slip all over the place. First: Lugs on drum with nuts just at the ends of the lugs. Second: cardboard down then skin on cardboard, Third: flesh whoop on skin, Fourth: rim down and then the fun begins, oh yah have a pair of good needle nose pliers or regular pliers ready. Heres some old schools just cut, still wet with the lugs still loose.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Your camera takes such clear pictures. Those drums are sweet looking!
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Your camera takes such clear pictures. Those drums are sweet looking!
    Thanks, its only a 2.0 mega pixel old camera and the drums are a conga and tumba. I actually did step by step re skinning pics on matching quinto but some how they got deleted. Are you going to re skin both matadors?
    L4C

User Info Menu

I don't mean to scare you but please make sure your source is safe and be careful handling the skins. Anthrax is sometimes brought into the US on animal skins. A drum shop owner died from it recently.

Here's some information so you can be informed: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/anthrax/faq/pelt.asp

User Info Menu

this is a noobish question but why do you have to soak the heads/skins?
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Thanks, its only a 2.0 mega pixel old camera and the drums are a conga and tumba. I actually did step by step re skinning pics on matching quinto but some how they got deleted. Are you going to re skin both matadors?
    L4C
    Eventually. I'm scared to death I am going to mess up this $90 skin.

I think the 11" is first then the 12" later since it will only get a thump here and there...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christiandrummer777 View Post
    this is a noobish question but why do you have to soak the heads/skins?
    To make pliable and form into shape. No question is foolish here I have found.

User Info Menu

Eventually. I'm scared to death I am going to mess up this $90 skin.

I think the 11" is first then the 12" later since it will only get a thump here and there...
    Try this first, I think you said you have a quinto 11" and a tumba 12.5 " Start soaking both heads now, after 7 or 8 hours pull your flesh whoops out. Take the tumba skin and put it on your quinto for practice. There won't be alot of excess to play with so if you can make this work, when you get your mules it will be no problem. I was crazy enough once to take a skin from one drum and put it on another of the same size. My hands were so beat up from pulling on what little skin I had. The Thread may still be here, it called "this won't work"
    L4C

User Info Menu

Try this first, I think you said you have a quinto 11" and a tumba 12.5 " Start soaking both heads now, after 7 or 8 hours pull your flesh whoops out. Take the tumba skin and put it on your quinto for practice. There won't be alot of excess to play with so if you can make this work, when you get your mules it will be no problem. I was crazy enough once to take a skin from one drum and put it on another of the same size. My hands were so beat up from pulling on what little skin I had. The Thread may still be here, it called "this won't work"
    L4C
    That's great! I hear of the horror stories and sore hands trying to pull the skins up. I will remember this post for future reference of what to do and not to do. I will pick up the drums on the 24th and take a better picture of them for you to see. Enjoy your beautiful orange/red drums!

User Info Menu

Ok, my Greek is rusty, but here is the translation:
    " Βάλτε το δέρμα στο νερό για όχι περισσότερο από 6 ώρες. Κατόπιν το τοποθετήστε στο conga σας αλλά στο εσωτερικό το πλαίσιο έβαλε κάποιο textil γύρω προκειμένου don' κτύπημα τ το δέρμα. Αφήστε τα πλαίσια πολύ υψηλά (ίδιο πράγμα υψηλό με την κορυφή) και το αφήστε για να ξεράνετε 1-2 ημέρες. Πάντα ελέγξτε lugs εάν χρειάζονται κάποια ένταση αλλά ακριβώς με τα δάχτυλά σας. Όχι σε πολύς!!! Όταν it' η ξηρά ένταση του s συνολικά αυτό κανονικά για να μην εντείνει ως μουλάρι είναι πολύ ισχυρό δέρμα και χρειάζεται το χρόνο της προκειμένου να το σπάσει. Μετά από 1 μήνα παρακαλώ με ελάτε σε επαφή με και sedn εγώ φωτογραφίες για να δω ποιους είναι και έκτοτε θα σας συστήσω η ελαιούχος-προσοχή Treatment.Please είμαι βέβαιος ότι αυτή η επεξεργασία δεν είναι για όλα τα δέρματα και επίσης συστήνεται μόνο για τα μουλάρια μου δεδομένου ότι έχουν την ορισμένη επεξεργασία δερμάτων στο absorve η ελαιούχος μέθοδός μου. Εάν το χρησιμοποιείτε σε άλλα δέρματα τα λευκαίνετε ακριβώς και χαλαρώνουν 30-40% της ποιότητας. Ακριβώς ακολουθήστε τα οδηγίες μου για το ορισμένο skin." Γεια Mike, Κανένας τον αφήστε να βάλει στην κορυφή του δέρματος και να τον κρατήσει για μια στιγμή το τέλος πλησίον στο δέρμα προκειμένου egt ξηρό " stuck" από κοινού. κομμάτι του ιστού (το λεπτό πουκάμισο είναι κακό!) περισσότερο λιγότερο από 2cm και πολύ όπως μπορείτε. Στρεβλώνετε γύρω από το εσωτερικό πλαίσιο με αυτό και έκτοτε εσείς don' το τ έχει " flip&quot. κτύπημα είναι όταν το δέρμα πηγαίνει πολύ εύκολα κάτω από έτσι τα πλαίσια πηγαίνουν πολύ κάτω από την αρχή. Όχι τόσο συμπαθητικός! Κρατήστε τα πλαίσια πολύ υψηλά για την ένταση 1-2 ημέρες. κατόπιν αυτό με " Μωρό προσοχή . Η υπομονή και το μουλάρι θα σας δώσουν ένα μεγάλο.ένταση με το χρόνο είναι καλύτερες. "
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-13-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

This may help...

Youtube vids showing how to mount heads - parts 1 & 2.

Sorry - I haven't time right now to read through the thread - you may already have this info from the viewers by now......and I don't know how to link all the videos together so I copied both seperate..

Leaving the rim high on the drum will let you tune your drum over a longer period of time (leaves more threads on your lugs).

YouTube - Drum Head Mounting-part 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgq7DMZhvU&feature=related"]YouTube - Drum Head Mounting for hand drums part 1[/ame]

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

great videos!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AL LOY View Post
    Ok, my Greek is rusty, but here is the translation:
    " Βάλτε το δέρμα στο νερό για όχι περισσότερο από 6 ώρες. Κατόπιν το τοποθετήστε στο conga σας αλλά στο εσωτερικό το πλαίσιο έβαλε κάποιο textil γύρω προκειμένου don' κτύπημα τ το δέρμα. Αφήστε τα πλαίσια πολύ υψηλά (ίδιο πράγμα υψηλό με την κορυφή) και το αφήστε για να ξεράνετε 1-2 ημέρες. Πάντα ελέγξτε lugs εάν χρειάζονται κάποια ένταση αλλά ακριβώς με τα δάχτυλά σας. Όχι σε πολύς!!! Όταν it' η ξηρά ένταση του s συνολικά αυτό κανονικά για να μην εντείνει ως μουλάρι είναι πολύ ισχυρό δέρμα και χρειάζεται το χρόνο της προκειμένου να το σπάσει. Μετά από 1 μήνα παρακαλώ με ελάτε σε επαφή με και sedn εγώ φωτογραφίες για να δω ποιους είναι και έκτοτε θα σας συστήσω η ελαιούχος-προσοχή Treatment.Please είμαι βέβαιος ότι αυτή η επεξεργασία δεν είναι για όλα τα δέρματα και επίσης συστήνεται μόνο για τα μουλάρια μου δεδομένου ότι έχουν την ορισμένη επεξεργασία δερμάτων στο absorve η ελαιούχος μέθοδός μου. Εάν το χρησιμοποιείτε σε άλλα δέρματα τα λευκαίνετε ακριβώς και χαλαρώνουν 30-40% της ποιότητας. Ακριβώς ακολουθήστε τα οδηγίες μου για το ορισμένο skin." Γεια Mike, Κανένας τον αφήστε να βάλει στην κορυφή του δέρματος και να τον κρατήσει για μια στιγμή το τέλος πλησίον στο δέρμα προκειμένου egt ξηρό " stuck" από κοινού. κομμάτι του ιστού (το λεπτό πουκάμισο είναι κακό!) περισσότερο λιγότερο από 2cm και πολύ όπως μπορείτε. Στρεβλώνετε γύρω από το εσωτερικό πλαίσιο με αυτό και έκτοτε εσείς don' το τ έχει " flip&quot. κτύπημα είναι όταν το δέρμα πηγαίνει πολύ εύκολα κάτω από έτσι τα πλαίσια πηγαίνουν πολύ κάτω από την αρχή. Όχι τόσο συμπαθητικός! Κρατήστε τα πλαίσια πολύ υψηλά για την ένταση 1-2 ημέρες. κατόπιν αυτό με " Μωρό προσοχή . Η υπομονή και το μουλάρι θα σας δώσουν ένα μεγάλο.ένταση με το χρόνο είναι καλύτερες. "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    This may help...

Sorry - I haven't time right now to read through the thread - you may already have this info from the viewers by now......and I don't know how to link all the videos together so I copied both seperate..

Leaving the rim high on the drum will let you tune your drum over a longer period of time (leaves more threads on your lugs).

YouTube - Drum Head Mounting for hand drums part 1

Kona
    Great Kona! It makes perfect sense to leave the head as high as possible to gain more pulling of the skin over time. Plus it sounds like at least with the mule that it is a slow process. Tune a little here...wait...tune a little there...wait...wait...tune...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    This may help...

YouTube - Drum Head Mounting for hand drums part 1

Kona
    I forgot to thank you Kona for taking the time to post this video. Thanks

User Info Menu

I've seen this video many times, Very good basics. If I may add a few pointers. Keep the skin loose on the rim and hoop so once you place the head on the drum you'll be able to hook your lugs. You have to use a old gift/ credit card in the back of the skin that when you are pulling/ cutting to prevent slicing the side. Once the head is even I like to hand tight my lugs slowly through out the day and as days go by I'll use the wrench just to take up the loose slack on the nuts for a more beautiful skin. The vid shows the guy just wrenching down on all the lugs, do this with mule or cow and the edges become white but dose not effect the sound, I just don't like the the look. The Secret Mule skin Conditioner, After 6 month to a year pour a little olive oil on the inside of the head, rub it all over the inside and out with your fingers nice and thick, wait three days to a week before replacing. Below I did it with cow, the color came out nice.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I've seen this video many times, Very good basics. If I may add a few pointers. Keep the skin loose on the rim and hoop so once you place the head on the drum you'll be able to hook your lugs. You have to use a old gift/ credit card in the back of the skin that when you are pulling/ cutting to prevent slicing the side. Once the head is even I like to hand tight my lugs slowly through out the day and as days go by I'll use the wrench just to take up the loose slack on the nuts for a more beautiful skin. The vid shows the guy just wrenching down on all the lugs, do this with mule or cow and the edges become white but dose not effect the sound, I just don't like the the look. The Secret Mule skin Conditioner, After 6 month to a year pour a little olive oil on the inside of the head, rub it all over the inside and out with your fingers nice and thick, wait three days to a week before replacing. Below I did it with cow, the color came out nice.
    L4C
    Thanks for this!
    The head looks nice - good work.
    I use Shea butter (got it off a drum builder that went to Africa, gathered the nuts and rendered it himself!). Shea butter is good for the head and your hands.......olive oil would be good too.

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Done.

User Info Menu

Are you going to re skin both matadors?
    L4C
    Just the conga for now. I will have to go to the dog house for a while before I can spend another $90+ dollars without a fight.

User Info Menu

Done.
    Bravo! Looks good! Your going to have the best sounding matadors ever!
    L4C