Thread: remo fiberskyn3

User Info Menu

Default remo fiberskyn3

jus put a fiberskyn 3 on my snare last nite highly impressed ,more than likely gonna do my12 n 16 but weiry of the 26. has anybody put one of these on a bass drum? which side , good, bad, worth the money ....?

User Info Menu

Cool remo fiberskyn3

Haven't put one on my set, but I have a Remo tumba with a fiberskyn head that I play along with my wood-shelled CP quinto and conga, both of which have regular skins. I dig the way the Remo contrasts with the CPs--the fiberskyn sounds warmer and more "ballsy"--that is, deeper--than the regular skins. I imagine it'd give a warmer sound on a set drum. If I were to install one on a bass, lou, I'd put it on the beater side.

I have also played Remo bongos with the fiberskyn heads--and admittedly most drummers don't play set with their hands--but I like the way the fiberskyns feel when you're playin' fast or a long roll...your hands don't hurt so much!

Hope this helps...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: remo fiberskyn3

A plus regarding Remo Fiberskyn 3 heads on toms, floor toms and bass. I use them all of the time since the early 90's. They give a tone of a thin calfskin. I like to play samba (Batucada) and the bass is played by Surdo. In Brazil they use both calf and a fiber head on these fat drums. A 14" - 18" floor tom with a fiber head can fill in as a faux surdo for fat beats and also be used for Djun-Djun parts for African drumming.

Love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lou reed View Post
    ...has anybody put one of these on a bass drum? which side , good, bad, worth the money ....?
    Just put a Fiberskyn 3 on the resonant side of my 18" bass drum. Couldn't be happier with the sound or the look. The previous owner cut a big hole in the middle of the (already vented) old head and the drum sounded flat a awful. Now it has a nice low boom -- keeping it unmuffled and loving it.

Had a Fiberskyn 3 on the front of my old 20" and found a little muffling was needed to shorten the boomy sustain a bit. I was originally drawn to Fiberskyn heads because of the look -- happy I got a sound I liked so I'm sticking with 'em.

Some day I'll try a Fiberskyn on my snare batter -- wonder how they feel/sound with brushes?

Cheers!

User Info Menu

I have 22"- 28" bass drums with these heads and they sound great. I also like the Calfskin sound but the fiberskyn is more durable ans stable for tuning. I am concerned about the thin calf skin on my bass drums and them possibly getting damaged.

Fiberskyn is tough stuff. I remember once that during a drumming frenzy with a big group of folks and hippies that my 16" floor tom's head was abused and there was a impression (or crater) the size of my fist almost 3/8" deep. I continued using that head for months because the damage didnot affect the tuning or tone negatively. It later failed but it did make a lasting impression on me for durability.

User Info Menu

Im using Fiberskyn on my 20'' kick and 12'' tom for acoustic sessions and love it.

I used it on my bongo's and I loved it.

However, I used on my Tumba (Toca Sheila E. Sig Conga's/bongo's) and I didn't like opposite to the fabric heads or a Nuskyn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lou reed View Post
    jus put a fiberskyn 3 on my snare last nite highly impressed ,more than likely gonna do my12 n 16 but weiry of the 26. has anybody put one of these on a bass drum? which side , good, bad, worth the money ....?
    The thicker laminated Fyberskyn heads muffle out lots of harmonic ring in plastic heads & sound more like calf skin but....The top laminate does bubble off the under ply & begins to delaminate. It will be great on a bass drum but I'd add an impact pad where the beater connects to the head.

User Info Menu

I put a pair of Fiberskyn Powerstroke 3s on a 24" surdo. It sounded like a RnB dance kick. Far too dead for what I needed, so I went for calfskin which has more ring to it.
    Kick drums need deadness Surdos need resonance.
    http://youtu.be/EcF8EpNfMPc