Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-finishing The Valje Supertumba

User Info Menu

Default Re-finishing The Valje Supertumba

I had my Valje's for sale for a while - they're not for sale now. Two really good things came out of that process.

1) I took a really good look at all four of the congas and bongos and found some cracks, scratches and nicks here and there - not serious. But it made me want to do something about it.

2) I'm glad now that I didn't sell them and I can't wait to see how this re-finishing project turns out.

I've started with the Supertumba (below). Took all the hardware off (carefully - don't want anymore cracks!). Sanded the drum with 220, 360, 400 and 600 grit - I don't really know why - I just wanted it to be smooth . There were two cracks - not wide - one about 4 inches and one 10 inches inside the drum. I asked around a lot and came to the conclussion I should use Elmer's ProBond. It seemed to work nicely. Then I used a very runny CA Glue (SuperGlue) for the outside small cracks. A woodworker's forum gave that info to me. Seems to be good advice. The superglue just seemed to get "sucked" right into those little cracks. I left it soak in overnight - sanded and "tack-clothed" the drum. My next step is to apply high quality, clear, gloss Varathane. Very thin coats and sanding between each coat. That should take a week or so I guess. I will post photos when done.

The sanded shell as of this morning (Apr 14 09). The other drums are waiting the outcome.........

I'm not altering the drums or putting a different finish on these vintage Valjes. I just want to take out all the scratches and make the finish "pop" as they say in the woodworking world

edit: 1st coat of Varathane applied this afternoon.....3rd & 4th photos below
    Last edited by kona; 04-14-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: first coat photo added
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Re-finishing The Valje Supertumba

nice job. These will look incredible when you are finished

User Info Menu

Great project!

User Info Menu

That looks like so much fun!
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Kona, you are indeed a "can do" kind of guy! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Very nice, looking great so far!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Wow man, looking great!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

A beautiful finish! I would love to have the time and skills to retrofit drums like that.
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 04-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    A beautiful finish! I would love to have the time and skills to retrofit drums like that.
    It's my first attempt. We'll see how it turns out. I have to be patient with it and not put too much varathane on each coat.....it's tempting to put lots on, but if you do that it runs and you have to sand it off.

It's kind of fun though - not really specialized like making a snare drum or trying to finish a drum with Polyester based or Nictrocellulose lacquers. That would be tough - I've done some reading in that. No, this is just simple - straight forward - taking stuff apart, gluing, sanding, filling, sanding, applying a simple finish (carefully mind you) and putting stuff back together (hopefully ). It's fun so far cause I haven't screwed it up. Ahh - it's only a drum....but I will be careful and I'm looking forward to a nice finished drum. Then comes the hard part........I have to do the other three drums - they gotta match ya know.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    It's my first attempt. We'll see how it turns out. I have to be patient with it and not put too much varathane on each coat.....it's tempting to put lots on, but if you do that it runs and you have to sand it off.

It's kind of fun though - not really specialized like making a snare drum or trying to finish a drum with Polyester based or Nictrocellulose lacquers. That would be tough - I've done some reading in that. No, this is just simple - straight forward - taking stuff apart, gluing, sanding, filling, sanding, applying a simple finish (carefully mind you) and putting stuff back together (hopefully ). It's fun so far cause I haven't screwed it up. Ahh - it's only a drum....but I will be careful and I'm looking forward to a nice finished drum. Then comes the hard part........I have to do the other three drums - they gotta match ya know.
    I can see in your shop that you are very organized, clean and meticulous. This will naturally result in a quality finished product.

User Info Menu

Good start Kona, can't wait to see them when they're finished! I'm planning to do the same with my Gon Bops, but I seem to keep putting it off. Maybe I'll get started on it this week. I was tracking a matching quinto on ebay this week, but it ended up going for more than I was willing to spend :(.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Good start Kona, can't wait to see them when they're finished! I'm planning to do the same with my Gon Bops, but I seem to keep putting it off. Maybe I'll get started on it this week. I was tracking a matching quinto on ebay this week, but it ended up going for more than I was willing to spend :(.

Do you search craigslist? That's where I got my Matadors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Do you search craigslist? That's where I got my Matadors.
    Yup, the sizes I need are rare and tough to find though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Got the 3rd coat on last night. It's coming along good so far. I just got to be patient with applying the Varathane - little bit at a time - not too thick (it'll run and then you have to sand it off - what's the point of doing that right?).
    Gary

User Info Menu

Got the 3rd coat on last night. It's coming along good so far. I just got to be patient with applying the Varathane - little bit at a time - not too thick (it'll run and then you have to sand it off - what's the point of doing that right?).
    Are you applying it with a brush or spray?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Are you applying it with a brush or spray?
    Brush - I'm really not set up for spraying - too technical to get a good finish in my situation...not saying it can't be done, but I did look into it and decided - not for me (right now anyway).

Here's the SUPERTUMBA - BABOOMBA after 4th coat (just an hour ago) - light sanding between each coat (got grit going on up to 2000).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Brush - I'm really not set up for spraying - too technical to get a good finish in my situation...not saying it can't be done, but I did look into it and decided - not for me (right now anyway).

Here's the SUPERTUMBA - BABOOMBA after 4th coat (just an hour ago) - light sanding between each coat (got grit going on up to 2000).
    That drum really looks nice.

User Info Menu

Looking great, your restoration will be done before mine! ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Looking great, your restoration will be done before mine! ;-)
    Thanks - I don't know about that. I have to put that bottom retension ring on the drum and it's a ..t.c to install - pardon my language. I have to knock it into place with some wood blocks - careful not to scratch my nice finish and then finish knocking it into place with metal........then, before it moves out of place, nail it down with two ity bity nails . Got that from the guys son that built my drums..............We'll see how that goes

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

UPDATE ON THE PROJECT:
    Ohhh! Major bummer on the finish job. I grabbed the wrong can of Varathane - put some oil-based on top of my water-bases finish

I was using a brush to apply the Varathane and I thought I'd give the finish a couple of coats of 'spray-on" to top it off.......leave it for a week and then rub the finish out. I had various cans of Varathane in the shop and only one was gloss and I grabbed the Gloss because my water-based is Gloss - never noticed the oil-based lable on it.

It's not good to apply a water-based over an oil-based. I can continue and apply a few more coats of the oil-based Varathane and work with that. Or, I can sand back to the bare wood and start over. I like the latter choice. And hey..it's all good..it's a great learning experience. I love sanding

I have a couple of more ideas how to apply a finish anyway. I've been on the Canadian Woodworker's Forum and that site is great for finishing info.

My drum will be good - and I got lots of time. Should have the one drum done by Christmas
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'm glad you found a way around the problem Kona. I'll bet the first few minutes after you discovered the error probably weren't quite so calm though!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm glad you found a way around the problem Kona. I'll bet the first few minutes after you discovered the error probably weren't quite so calm though!
    Actually - I didn't even get mad at myself very much. My immediate reaction was.......it's just some finish that I can remove - no biggie. Then I started to think how nice things were going up to that point and the time I put into it. That got to me a little. But the Woodworkers Forum is a great place to get help to recover from such mistakes. Nice to talk about it here too. This is a great Forum - a good bunch of people here.

I have got to keep my finishing products separated and just pay attention more
    Gary

User Info Menu

kona,

I have been told by the seller my Tumba had a couple of nicks that were poorly repaired previously. I will take a picture of them and seek your advise for proper finish and repair.

Sincerely,
    BC

User Info Menu

Default Re-finished Valje Supertumba - hardware on

I just got the drum together now.
    The small cracks glued up nicely - no problems and the bumps-n-scratches sanded out beautifully.
    Last edited by kona; 05-31-2009 at 01:51 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Re-finished Valje Supertumba - hardware on

I just got the drum together now.
    The small cracks glued up nicely - no problems and the bumps-n-scratches sanded out beautifully.

Here it is with 9 coats of Varathane - it looks like a new drum!

It looks a lot nicer LIVE.
    I like the hardware. It reminds me of Jesus hanging on the cross for me.