Thread: cymbal line

User Info Menu

Default cymbal line

Many lines take the attitude that a cymbal line is just around for ride cymbal parts for snare drummers or just a place to put drummers who did not make the line. Cymbal lines can really add alot (visually and musically) to a line if done correctly. Check out these cymbal lines and watch the multiple techniques they use.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmP64TXRDxo"]YouTube - 2008 Santa Clara Vanguard Cymbal Line - In the Lot[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObxXmzMkmg"]YouTube - RCC 2009 Cymbal sectional[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYmGKR4Bz6E"]YouTube - Magic Cymbals '05[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgz0gLGpDE"]YouTube - Music City Mystique 05 cymbals at the end[/ame]
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

Default Re: cymbal line

thanks for the sweet post man!

User Info Menu

Yea, I really dug this too. Great stuff!

User Info Menu

I love cymbals, almost as much as tenors. I'm actually going to try out for the indoor cymbal line next year, to let out the artsy drummer in me =D
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

i play tenors on the line at my school and we don't have a cymbal line, every on the line thinks itd be cool to add cymbals but our band director wont allow it.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

ok.. IM GONNA BE THE ONLY CYMBAL PLAYER!!!! WAT DO I DO???!!!!!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Cymbals add a tremendous amount to marching drum lines, both in looks and in sound. While marching in drum corp, I realized there is no member out there on the field that isn't important to the quality of the show.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    ok.. IM GONNA BE THE ONLY CYMBAL PLAYER!!!! WAT DO I DO???!!!!!
    talk to your director and see if you can (if the music allows) play some in the front ensemble and maybe during certain parts of the show another pit member can join you on the field for part of the show.
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

I Played Cymbals In Marion (ohio )cadets In Late 60's
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandLead View Post
    talk to your director and see if you can (if the music allows) play some in the front ensemble and maybe during certain parts of the show another pit member can join you on the field for part of the show.
    PR is like this:
    You make drumline, you're on the drumline no questions asked.
    You don't make the drumline, YOU'RE in PIT or you're out. No questions asked. Pit has nothing to do with drumline at all.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

PR is like this:
    You don't make the drumline, YOU'RE in PIT or you're out. No questions asked. Pit has nothing to do with drumline at all.

Pit has everything to do with the line, the line is nothing without the pit and the pit is nothing without the line. ( btw Im tired of hearing people say that drummers are only people who play the set and people who march or plays pit are percussionist when everyone who plays percussion/drums are drummers). Flutes have nothing to do with the line but there not in the indoor percussion ensambles because they aren't drummers while the pit are a group of percussionists/drummers but are in the line because they do have something to do with the line since its a indoor PERCUSSION LINE.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

PR is like this:
    Being a ex percussion instructor that comment really pisses me off. But now it has turned to pity for your line. That is an horrible attitude to have for a Marching Percussion Section. How does your line do in competitions?! If pit has nothing to do with drumline go to your next competition with out one. I bet your drumline score sucks. By the way what is "PR".
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

PR is prairie Ridge. It's my High school.
    I do see what you mean by the line and the pit having some kind of connection.
    But the pit (at least in our school) is just another section. It has all percussion, but it's mainly suspended cymbals, keyboard mallet percussion, and other stuff.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC