Thread: Do you ever get the feeling your drumming is going no where?

User Info Menu

Default Do you ever get the feeling your drumming is going no where?

I've been getting this weird feeling lately. I'm not sure what it is, the last few band practices have just been kind of BLAH. I've been really tired at the end and haven't really had a lot of energy. I wanna do more, like be more creative and such. I just feel like I'm going nowhere and my drumming is boring. Have you guy's every felt like this?

-fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you ever get the feeling your drumming is going no where?

Everybody does. Try some new styles that will challenge and enhance your abilities. If you're a rock drummer, do some jazz stuff. It will work help your limb independence. If you're good with jazz, do some blues shuffles. Work on dynamics. Do some rudiment work. Play more double bass. Get a new piece of percussion and work it in to some more of your playing. There's always something.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Everybody does. Try some new styles that will challenge and enhance your abilities. If you're a rock drummer, do some jazz stuff. It will work help your limb independence. If you're good with jazz, do some blues shuffles. Work on dynamics. Do some rudiment work. Play more double bass. Get a new piece of percussion and work it in to some more of your playing. There's always something.
    Totally agree with this and when practice gets boring let someone play your drums to song you do. This is always good for a laugh. Fredr dont give up it will get better

User Info Menu

rearrange your kit. thats what i do when i get bored.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    rearrange your kit. thats what i do when i get bored.
    Right on there cdaug! That is a great way to make it interesting!

And I agree with Larry in that you should never give up..it'll get better!

-Les

User Info Menu

Everyone's given great advice here. Don't give up...try out some new styles, some new grooves and re-arrange your kit! Worked for me when I went through a rough patch and it also betters your knowledge
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I've been getting this weird feeling lately. I'm not sure what it is, the last few band practices have just been kind of BLAH. I've been really tired at the end and haven't really had a lot of energy. I wanna do more, like be more creative and such. I just feel like I'm going nowhere and my drumming is boring. Have you guy's every felt like this?

-fred

Well, it is boring and the band is going no where. So, what are you and your band mates going to do about it? I know, I sound hard but, you know what, the Blashs you are experiencing are telling you that it's time to raise the bar on what you're doing. I can't even think how many times I've been there and I am equally certain that most of the drummers in here know that place you are talking about, Fred. So, don't despair but don't ignore it either. Think of it like this: "If it's to Be, it's up to Me."
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Sometimes a break from the kit entire is a good idea, a few days then get back to it.

User Info Menu

Sounds like youre playin too much of the same thing .

As suggested already , mix up your play list and see what happens .Best of luck .

User Info Menu

I find myself in the same predicament a lot. I simply switch to guitar for a few weeks and try to get better at that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think the point about mixing up the music is a big one. When we were your age we played a lot of fast punk/almost hardcore and it got boring after a while. Just trying to play fast all the time. As we got older, we tried to branch out the music.

If memory serves you guys play heavier music. There's a lot of variety in heavier music. Play some Rage, some System of a Down, Rise Against, etc.. The drums are playable, but interesting, and the music can be atypical, which is key for keeping it interesting.

At my advanced middle-age, I'm back to enjoying playing lighter stuff and focusing more on my contribution to the band than the technicality of what I'm playing, but I think that takes time.

Most important is to keep playing.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Fredr, runners call it hitting the wall. Drumming is not a sprint to the finish line, it is a marathon, and every marathoin runner knows that they will eventually "hit the wall." It is something you have to work through by changing your mindset. Don't focus on the feelings of boredom, or you will get more bored. As has been suggested, find something new - whatever that can be - and focus your attention there.

I also wonder if this hasn't been set up by the troubles with your guitarist, and now a feeling that the band is really going anywhere. It's not necessarily true, but the feeling can be there. If so, you may have to talk with your bandmates for reassurance.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I just feel like I'm going nowhere and my drumming is boring. Have you guy's every felt like this?
    If you feel like you are drumming boring, you ARE gonna drum boring.
    Im always convinced that I sound GREAT. For that reason, I always sound GREAT.

User Info Menu

Yeh i agree with the majority, mix up your kit a bit (maybe try setting it up left handed) or trying some different genres like jazz and funk. I think its important to persevere, i know alot of people who have tried drumming and quit at similar times. Maybe try playing along to some songs or try another instrument for a while like guitar or even other percussion like bongos. Ive been in the same position with a band, try and learn some cool different stuff you can take to next practise. With drums there is pretty limitless options

User Info Menu

Go to some open jams.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Fredr, runners call it hitting the wall. Drumming is not a sprint to the finish line, it is a marathon, and every marathoin runner knows that they will eventually "hit the wall." It is something you have to work through by changing your mindset. Don't focus on the feelings of boredom, or you will get more bored. As has been suggested, find something new - whatever that can be - and focus your attention there.

I also wonder if this hasn't been set up by the troubles with your guitarist, and now a feeling that the band is really going anywhere. It's not necessarily true, but the feeling can be there. If so, you may have to talk with your bandmates for reassurance.
    haha. You got that right PB. As a drummer and a runner, I know BOTH feelings. Trust me. During my freshman year of high school, I ran 5:15 (give or take a second) for 4 races in a row. I felt so annoyed. Then, all of a sudden, BAM! I ran 5:07, an 8 second personal record. The wall is just awful and is even occurs during races! But, just pushing through it helps, almost like in drumming. Just keep practicing, but mix it up. I had that problem and it bugs the hell out of me. I just started drumming to stuff where I could really let loose and add my own style (Red Hot Chili Peppers helped!) and I got through it and was a lot better on the other side.

Good luck! You will get through it soon enough!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Great post PB
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Agreed.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.