Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gon Bops--anyone play (or ever played) them?

User Info Menu

Cool Gon Bops--anyone play (or ever played) them?

While poking around the DW website the other day, I discovered that DW is now the manufacturer/distributor of Gon Bops bongos and congas...while I'm an LP/Remo player, I understand Gon Bops was the PRIMO conga maker before Martin Cohen got started. I've seen them, but I haven't played 'em--and they must have been killer congas to have the reputation they seemed to have in the old days.

Any of our older drummers ever play -- or do you still play -- Gon Bops? And what do you think of them, dudes?

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I've seen them, but was afraid to touch them. Those things were like the holy grail of congas back in the day!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Recently bought a set of Gon Bops, Alex Acuna series. Have seen and played older GB's a few times and always liked them. Not easy to find the newer ones locally, the drum stores I generally deal with didn't have them (2 of these are actual drum stores with big quality inventory and workshops), the one who sells a lot of DW didn't have them either.

I have owned LP sets for several years, (aspire, performance and matador) but just purchased a set of Gon Bops in the Alex Acuna series (super quinto, quinto, conga, tumba).

Could not be more pleased. North American Ash, beautiful wood. The Aspire's were great for giging since there are smaller and lighter, the performance were nice (I liked the resonance) the matador's were fine, but more of an intermediate or entry level professional set. I also tried Mienl, Toca, and Remo before this purchase. Typhoon has some nice conga lines, but didn't find any to try or any good reviews of them.

Rhythm magazine reviewed conga's recently and gave the Acuna series a 5 of 5 and the LP Palladium 4 of 5, everything else 3-4 of 5. I think at this level it becomes personal preference. The GB's have the best pop and resonance I have ever heard (I think better than the Palladium I have tried). Slaps are responsive and the tone at low or high levels is consistant. When I use an elbow for pressure I get a very nice range of sounds.

I like the rim better than any I have played, the comfort rim on LP is good, but I like this rim which sits lower so you need to play correctly so you don't damage your hands and wrists. I believe this lower rim helps with the contact of head to rim and produces a beautiful full sound. All the heads (buffalo) match well in thickness and quality. There can be problems with buffalo sometimes, but these are clearly first quality. The hardware is excellent, attached with 4 bolts on each lug set - 6 on each drum. I like that they do not have handles on them, I am from the school of the less you do to the shell the better. I tend to gravite toward virgin shells in newer drums.

Great set that I am looking forward to playing along time. Like many woods I think this set will become even better with age.

Playing for 45 years now, a little jazz, a little blues, a little big band, a little rock, a little country and a lot of trio work. Some professional, some teaching, but mostly for fun.

User Info Menu

Man, talk about right guy coming on board at the right time!

Welcome to Drum Chat Dross. I can see you, Bongobro, and 1DrumBum hanging out a lot!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Gon Bops

PB, you're absolutely right!

Dross, welcome to DrumChat! As one of the two hand drummers that Pastor Bob mentioned, I welcome you as a brother!

Glad to see someone is playing GBs--as I originally posted, I remember playing what I thought was a pair of GBs way back when I started taking drum lessons in 1984--they were beat-up and old but they sounded sweet even then, like something you would hear in Cuba!

I currently play CP and Remo congas and Meinl and LP bongos; I also have an African djembe and a doumbek which I use for special effects. I've played professionally off-and-on for about 15 years, and I play with my church's guitar group every week...like you, I've played with country-rock bands, trios, with folk musicians, and with a big band...

Hope to see and hear more from you...again, from one conguero to another, welcome aboard, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

i've known of gon bops and of them being made by dw for a couple years. however, never knew they had a history.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i've known of gon bops and of them being made by dw for a couple years. however, never knew they had a history.
    I didn't either.

User Info Menu

Okay, since I started this--and since so many have asked about the history of Gon Bops--

here's a link, dudes!

http://www.gonbops.com/about.htm

Charlie

User Info Menu

cool b bro, thnx.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Man, talk about right guy coming on board at the right time!

Welcome to Drum Chat Dross. I can see you, Bongobro, and 1DrumBum hanging out a lot!!!
    Does everyone forget that Kryshah is a hand drummer too? sheesh!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool Gon Bops

Kryshah, what we're gonna have to do is take our djembes (and maybe my congas) and give PB a major extended jam session until he realizes that you, too, are a "bongo brother."

Charlie

User Info Menu

Mea Culpa my hand drumming friend! Kryshah, I have seen a few of your videos, and I was so blown away by your drumming that I total forgot that you are a hand drummer too!! Please accept my apologies!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey B-Bro , my daughters congas are Gon Bops . They not only look good but sound good too .

User Info Menu

Cool Gon Bops...

Are your daughter's congas similar to the ones on the link I posted, or did you find some old Gon Bops? If they're the old ones, bro', she's playin' some serious history!

If you can, post a pic of your daughter playin' them (or better still a vid)...would love to see her in action!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Are your daughter's congas similar to the ones on the link I posted, or did you find some old Gon Bops? If they're the old ones, bro', she's playin' some serious history!

If you can, post a pic of your daughter playin' them (or better still a vid)...would love to see her in action!
    They are like the Alex Acuna series . Im working on the video but it will probably be a while . I want to make a video of me and both kids playing together on the same groove but its gonna take a lot of practicing first for the 2 of them.

She doesnt play with us too much because she doesnt like all the loud noise . lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    ...She doesnt play with us too much because she doesnt like all the loud noise . lol
    I can't believe she said that! Actually I can, since when I was much smaller, I actually didn't like the sound of bongos...I thought they were too noisy, too...

I think my hearing was really sensitive back then--but now??? Nahhh...'cause I can't get enough bongo playin' in these days!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default Question for Dross

Do you recall which issue of Rhythm magazine had the reviews of the Gon Bops Alex Acuna and LP Palladium congas?

Also, were they full reviews or just the star ratings?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hey, congakid1--welcome aboard!

I was curious about Dross' post too, so I checked the Rhythm website myself...it appears there was a review in October 2007...but it gave no details other than a review on Gon Bops period (at least on the page I pulled up, which is http://www.rhythmmag.co.uk/page/rhyt...ober_s_all_new

What gear do you play, man? I have two pair of CPs (one fiberglass, one wood, and a Remo tumba, plus two pair of bongos (one LP and one Meinl), a djembe, a doumbek and a few other odds and ends...). I'm the percussionist for my church's guitar group, but I've played in settings from folk to country-rock to big band (Latin) music...

cool name by the way! Look forward to hearin' more from ya down the road!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default Howdy Bongobro!

Thanks for the detective work! I even e-mailed the features editor at Rhythm about the Gon Bops review. Nice fellow--he answered right away--but he thought the "review" was just a run-down of new gear. From what Dross posted, however, it sounds like much more than that. Heck, I'm even willing to buy a back issue of Rhythm to find out what they said about the Gon Bops, as those drums are not exactly inexpensive!

As for my gear, I started out with Toca (quinto, conga, tumba), but I realized that a 30" high drum was what I needed. (I'm vertically challenged, so to speak.) I bought a pair of Pearl's Bobby Allende congas, which are great for live performance but have too much ring for other settings. I later bought a pair Pearl's Folkloric congas, which are super.

Other than congas, I'm pretty much limited to toys like shekeres, cowbells, etc.

Dross: If you're out there, help us out with the Gon Bops review!

User Info Menu

Cool Gon Bops...

It may not show in my av pic, but I'm vertically challenged, too! (5' 4") I generally play seated, so the height isn't as much as a challenge with me...if you play standing, it's a different tale...

Maybe it's the way they're tuned, but fiberglass congas tend to ring a bit more than wood, especially at higher pitches...

Good luck trackin' down that review, bro'....

Charlie

User Info Menu

They were scored on a star system with a few comments, not full reviews. The comment that stood out was that they were great for recording and live. The comments I made at the bottom of my post were mine.

I bought these without playing them first, but had played a few older ones. It was a good buy, I would do it again. I usually like to try things first, but with the web I find more options and many of those are not available nearby. It appears they are limited in supply and like many DW products they are a little more expensive (The Gon Bops California Series is more expensive and American Oak instead of Ash, I like the sound from Ash).

Hope this helps, it is a personal preference, but I do like the sound and playability of them. They look good too - I like natural looking woods, not the reason to buy though, but it doesn't hurt.

User Info Menu

Cool Gon Bops...

dross, thanks for the clarification...while the old Gon Bops are hard to find, I'm glad to find out you like the newer ones...

what kind of music are you playing? I bet you enjoy the way they sound...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gon Bops--anyone play (or ever played) them?

Hello, I own an Alex Acuna requinto. I bought it after reading to much into the DW web sight. Things like "In the Gon Bops tradition" and "Alex Acuna" sold me. Part of me and my buddy's arsenal are two original Gon Bops requintos so I thought that the Alex Acuna would sound like these. I was In shock after the nearly $400 special order came. The skin (water buffalo) was thin as paper and sounded like a bongo! Although the shell and hardware are excellent so off came the skin and on went an American cow skin. After 3 weeks of total drying and curing I now have the best new drum on the market and I'm actually thinking of buying another one and doing the same. If you want to hear or see Alex Acuna congas go to you tube and type in Top Percussion @ The NAMM Show 2007. I also have the fallowing congas.. 1970 LP Originals, Giovanni, Matadors, Performers and even Aspires if info is needed. Nuskyns, water buffalo skin, Pakistan cow and American cow skin info too.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gon Bops--anyone play (or ever played) them?

Wow, luv4congas, you're more of a hand-drumming fanatic than I am! Sorry to hear the original head on your Acuna was such a disappointment, but now it sounds like you've got another killer conga in your arsenal. (Too bad Gon Bops aren't readily available outside of Chicago, at least for me!)

Lookin' forward to hearin' more from ya, man! Welcome aboard!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gon Bops--anyone play (or ever played) them?

Hola como estas BONGOBRO*DRAGON CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (GATO) GRACIAS for the INFO (KNOWLEDGE) Mi amigo