Thread: Left Hand Speed

User Info Menu

Default Left Hand Speed

Well being prety new to drumming I cant help but notice that my left hand is so much slower than my right. I mean I expected it to be a little but slower since I am right handed but it is riduclious. I asked my drum teacher and he said what really helped was counting to 4 and playing either LLLR or RLLL. I understand it is not going to happen overnight but do you guys having exercises that you use to strengten your weak hand?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Left Hand Speed

use your left hand for every thing you can thats what i did =]
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

It will develope if you work at it. Single, double, and triple stroke excersises using only this hand will help. Use a pillow or other soft surface and do it till it burns. Do it often. Give it time.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

i do this wilst driving

L L L LF

the LF is left foot

count it as 1234

User Info Menu

like shabutie2113 said. from starting your car to picking stuff up. i have a second real cheap kit thats set up left handed. helps left hand and left foot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i do this wilst driving

L L L LF

the LF is left foot

count it as 1234
    Im sorry but the first thing that came to my head was that must work well while driving a stick. But in all honesty I will play the bass pattern with my left foot of the song that is on while I am driving just never incorporated the left hand.

User Info Menu

I guess also playing some open hand instead of always cross handed would probably help. It just feel really weird but I am sure I will get use to it.

User Info Menu

What you need is a copy of STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone. This is strictly a sticking exercise method with every conceivable hand pattern exercise written. This is the book that Joe Morello called the Killer when he was taking lessons. This is the book that will develop strength, consistency and speed in your playing as well as clean execution of your playing. There is no substitute for this book. It has other advantages as well...you will discover the secrets of drummers like Steve Gadd and Dave Garibaldi and where they learned to develop those fantastic Funk grooves. The very first page has several exercises that will instantly turn you in a Master of that groove. I'm surprised that your Teacher didn't recommend this to you. The simple exercise he suggested is only one out of 100's of similar exercises in this book. Don't mess around now, get the book...it only costs a few dollars. Follow the instructions on how to properly practice and you will become the drummer you are now just dreaming about.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Left Hand Speed

thanks for that recommendation, I was expecting this book to be like 50 dollars. Nope 11.95 for it. I already got the thing ordered and cant wait till it gets here. Once again thanks for turning me on to this great value.

User Info Menu

Good for you. PW. Now, a word about how to use this book. As I mentioned previoulsy, read the and follow the instructions...this is most IMPORTANT!! Keep in mind that this is not a race. The exercisesa are exactly that...EXERCISES. Take it slow and easy...one page a week is sufficient. Be true to this and you will never again have to wonder about sticking technique.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I still have my Stick Control and Syncopation books from over 20 yrs ago, and use them almost daily.Play on a pad and try mixing it up on the kit.Slow and steady w/metronome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    What you need is a copy of STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone.
    DITTO!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pwinnington View Post
    I guess also playing some open hand instead of always cross handed would probably help. It just feel really weird but I am sure I will get use to it.
    Right on!!
    I do that as well.
    I'll sit down at least once a week and practice open handed. Great way to develope the left hand.

Cheers!
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    DITTO!
    Just as fiacovaz says....and Drum Chick....
    STICK CONTROL by G. Stone.

GREAT DRUM BOOK!!!

Cheers
    Last edited by Jackstraw; 04-17-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I CAN't SPELL after 10:00 PM
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

Once again Frank,

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    What you need is a copy of STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone. This is strictly a sticking exercise method with every conceivable hand pattern exercise written. This is the book that Joe Morello called the Killer when he was taking lessons. This is the book that will develop strength, consistency and speed in your playing as well as clean execution of your playing. There is no substitute for this book. It has other advantages as well...you will discover the secrets of drummers like Steve Gadd and Dave Garibaldi and where they learned to develop those fantastic Funk grooves. The very first page has several exercises that will instantly turn you in a Master of that groove. I'm surprised that your Teacher didn't recommend this to you. The simple exercise he suggested is only one out of 100's of similar exercises in this book. Don't mess around now, get the book...it only costs a few dollars. Follow the instructions on how to properly practice and you will become the drummer you are now just dreaming about.
    Yes as frank said fantastic book

User Info Menu

I cant really add anything to this other than practise doubles aswel. I reckon when you can get a double stroke roll almost buzz roll speed is when you know your left hand is real strong. Im trying to build up this speed. Im gonna look into that book aswel, it sounds really good!

User Info Menu

My left side got faster by... well... playing fast!!! It takes a while, but that's the way to do it. Honestly, you might not use them very much in song writing (I don't either) but practicing blast beats helped me more than anything. You get speed, balance, coordination, timing and power all at the same time. It's like practicing rudiments and increasing the speed, but doing it with all 4 limbs at the same time.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

The thing that helped my left hand more than anything is sitting down with a practice pad, turning on the music and just playing along (left hand leading). I used to do this for literally hours at a time. When you're playing with music, it's not practice, it's fun. You get lost in the music and you can just start making up patterns to play, always leading with your left hand.

User Info Menu

Representing the lefty camp
    I played on a right handed kit for a while so this forced me to lead with my right a lot. Now I'm nearly ambidextrous, although my left hand will always feel a smidgen more comfortable.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pwinnington View Post
    Well being prety new to drumming I cant help but notice that my left hand is so much slower than my right. I mean I expected it to be a little but slower since I am right handed but it is riduclious. I asked my drum teacher and he said what really helped was counting to 4 and playing either LLLR or RLLL. I understand it is not going to happen overnight but do you guys having exercises that you use to strengten your weak hand?
    PW...........just practice , practice , practice , Im sure youve already heard this but there really arent any short cuts .

Just like anything else you need to accomplish in life ,the more or longer you do it ,the better or quicker it gets done .