Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquarian Drumheads

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Drumheads

Here is a roundup of a bunch I have used. Your experiance will vary. I feel Aquarian gets the least respect of the big three, and are grossly underrated and misunderstood.

Bear in mind, the drums I used for this are tonally neutral and warm. Your experience will vary due to different shell types, materials, sticks, resos etc. A lot of factors come into play to make a drum kit sound the way it does, including the way you play.

Aquarian may get a bad rap from some trying to dismiss them as “Drum heads that are designed to make a cheap kit sound good” Well, that’s not really a bad thing. Aquarian drumheads sound from poor (IMO) to spectacular. I like the fact that the collar design offers a flatter surface for the bearing edge and Aquarians do not need to be seated.

Note: my school of thought is to use open, clear heads and add damping as needed. I don’t use pre-muffled heads for the most part because it’s easy to add muffling, but you can’t remove pre-muffling.
    One ply:
    Classic clears: I currently use these on top and bottom of my kit. I have compared these to clear amabassadors and g1 clears. The g1’s have more attack, and are brighter. The clear ambs are less attacky, but lean on bright. The classic clears are the warmest of the three and also the most neutral tonally. They are not for those that want to extract a bright attack. These are for those that want single ply openness, but a punchy warmth, vs an attacky bright.

Texture coated: I really like the z-100 coating, I think it’s top notch, and maybe the most durable of the big three. The snare heads again, sound a touch warmer than identical evans or remo.

Power thin with dot: these sound better to me than the remo cs black dots. They are warmer, and rounder and less “flat” sounding.

Studio x: kind of like an ambassador, with a studio ring built in. these would be good for oak or bright drums to tame them down and give them some deep punch.

Two ply:
    Super 2: they work as advertised. They have a 2-ply durability and depth with 1-ply response. I could use these in place of classic clears or emperor weight.

Response 2: Just like the classic clears, these are the warmest of the 2-ply clears. Not a huge difference from the super -2’s really. Nice all-around for durability.

Performance 2: the deadest drumheads I have ever tried. These have (IMO) poor stick response, they are slow, and diffuse. It’s way too easy to get a basketball sound from these. These are for those that just have to have that 80’s studio sound. Even deader than hydraulics…I really, really dislike these.

Kick:
    Superkick 1: kind of like powerstroke 3, but more diffuse and closed in. They can provide decent punch and depth but have a very soft attack, especially compared to emad.

Superkick II: These are really closed in and dead, too dead and unresponsive for me. They mute the output of the drum and don’t respond well. They really feel “thick” to me.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-17-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Aquarian Drumheads

Al... I Am A Solid Endorser For Aquarian Coated Super 2s
    Best Heads Ive Ever Used!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Drumheads

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Al... I Am A Solid Endorser For Aquarian Coated Super 2s
    Best Heads Ive Ever Used!!!!!!
    Roy Burns sent me these super 2's...before they were on the market....

User Info Menu

I had a z-100 coated. Broke after 2 days. The funny thing is, I did a flam...with Hot-Rods. But don't let that stop you. It sounded good for the time I had it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    I had a z-100 coated. Broke after 2 days. The funny thing is, I did a flam...with Hot-Rods. But don't let that stop you. It sounded good for the time I had it.
    I won't let it stop me, because that is atypical and not even remotely reflective of their quality. Perhaps you cranked the drumhead far too tight where any head would split.

I have played metal/zep/hard rock on z-100 drumheads since they were introduced, none have exhibited that behavior.

It's totally absurd to think they would break with hotrods for anyone except you, and except for that one time.

They are good enough for Chris Adler/Lamb of God and he sure isn't tapping them with hot rods.

Applying the same logic:

Did I tell you about the time I was playing remos and evans and they all exploded while I was playing them with drinking straws?

So I guess if 1 remo or Evans is bad, they all are...as is the implication you made with Aquarian.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-18-2009 at 07:03 PM.

User Info Menu

You Go Al....Im Right There Wif Ya Bro,,,,

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I am making the switch to Aquarian Response 2s for the toms, Focus x for my snare and a Force 2 kick resonant.
    I have used and rather liked Studio X heads on my drums (toms) but had a durability issue with them, (single ply). I also like their Hienergy snare batter.

Aquarian makes some mighty fine heads. Underrated IMHO.

-Les

User Info Menu

Les...its startin to sound like da "PHATHER PHROGGE AQUARIAN
    CONVERSION ARMY" in here......HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I have Response 2's on my Gretsch USA kit and so far so good (or great!).

I've played Performance 2's on my GMS kit and liked them for what they were (low tone and "dead" as Al said). They are the best if you want/need that sound for a recording...

I want to get my hands on some Super 2's (coated) for the Gretsch kit, but right now I'm fine with the Response 2's. A local shop was selling them for $.25 an inch to get rid of excess stock. I bought Response 2's, a 14in Double Thin w Power Dot and some 18in Super 2's for like $30. Woo-hoo!

Aquarian FTW!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Scottie....I Lubs My Coated Super 2s Better Than Any Batter Head I've Played On....Only Other Choice Would Be Remo Emporers....

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Phrogge - that's good to hear - I'll put 'em on my "next heads to try" list...

Any luck selling those Luddies?
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Here's a shot of my new Aquarians..

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Here's a shot of my new Aquarians..

-Les
    See? Super 2's are goot enough for Les!

They look nice! Just be careful when flamming with those lightweight hot rods. They are Aquarians kryptonite!

Damo Guest

I feel Aquarian gets the least respect of the big three, and are grossly underrated and misunderstood.
    Admittedly, I didnt read the rest of the review, past this line. However, I assume the rest of your review was as true as this opening statement...

User Info Menu

I have always been a remo head guy. I have only had one non-remo head.... ever, and it was an Evans EQ1. It was a pretty good head, and I liked it. It sold on my gold Remo.

I keep hemming and hawing over Superkick vs. EMAD.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I have always been a remo head guy. I have only had one non-remo head.... ever, and it was an Evans EQ1. It was a pretty good head, and I liked it. It sold on my gold Remo.

The superkick is the 2nd product I can't use. The emad (in my case emad 2) has the same depth, but with much better focus and attack.

I prefer the emad's definition to the aquarian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post

I was from the same camp Kev.
    As my musical tastes and scope changed and began to broaden, I found myself looking for a different sounding and feeling head. Back in the late 70s and earlier 80s, Pinstripes went on everything from my 6" tom to my kick drum.

Those were the times when I would try to dampen the snot out the drum.

Now, I am liking a more wide open sound and work on my tuning skills to provide a full resonant, but not "boingy" tone. So many times (myself included) people will use an e-ring to compensate for bad tuning.

There is a time and place for dampening rings and moongel IMO.
    That is in the studio or in a smaller or even larger venue with poor acoustics.

Sorry about going off track here.

I find alot to like about Aquarian heads. I have used Studio xs in the past with good tone results, but a short life span. I have gone thru alot of different head swaps over the past 5 or so years and have kind of slowed my search on Aquarian. So far, the Response 2 batters on my toms (Pearl), are working pretty nicely. I haven't really had an opportunity to lay into 'em yet, but matched with the awesome build of the Pearl shells..they tune up practically by themselves! For tone, attack and ease of tuning..high marks thus far. Durability will be a factor.

I like the SK2 heads..but they seem a little thick. I am running an Attack thin skin 3 now, but may look at an SK1.
    EMAD is nice, but I have had the foam rings jump outta the tray during hard play. Some folks have even experienced the plastic tray completely falling off the head. There are also some concerns with the cheapo plastic tray cracking if you gig alot. I have also tried Remo powersonic with the cute little snap on pillow..to me you may as well play your bass drum underwater!

-Les

User Info Menu

i don't know is the batter is good because i have only reso head aquarian

they come whith my drum that i just baught

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I Gree Wif Al....Lubs Aquarian Coated Super 2's For Toms And Snare But Da Emad Is The Basshead I Prefer Wide Open Cept 2 Felt Strips.....BoooooooooM

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I think I have found THE heads for the Pearls!

Just the kick drum to go..

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    I Gree Wif Al....Lubs Aquarian Coated Super 2's For Toms And Snare But Da Emad Is The Basshead I Prefer Wide Open Cept 2 Felt Strips.....BoooooooooM
    I heard the EMAD on a Gretsch Renown maple in a GC and with no other dampening, it sounded like a stick of dynamite...bah-boom!!!

It really was awesome. I don't want to fool around with the tray breaking or worse, falling off. The SK11 is pretty great sounding too, especially miced...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post

I have also tried Remo powersonic with the cute little snap on pillow..to me you may as well play your bass drum underwater!

-Les

Dats my sound!!!!! i love the Powersonic on my VX
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Oh So Many Drummers So Many Different Sounds....
    Steve Gadd's Old Love Affair Wif Evans Hydraulic S
    On His Yamaha's Is Like Playin On Pillows To Anybody Else
    But,check Out "late In The Evening"(Paul Simon) And His Quad Sticking And I Rest My Case..."We Are Individuals Wif Different Voices...Those Are Our Choices....All For Love
    Of Da Drum...."

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

How will Aquarian Performance II Power Dot's sound on my swingstars?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    How will Aquarian Performance II Power Dot's sound on my swingstars?
    Pretty much like they sound on any drum. They are deep, warm, but very focused with no ring at all. If your goal is to have attack only and no ring, these will do it. They will also reduce the potential volume quite a bit.