Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a Requinto!

User Info Menu

Default Found a Requinto!

I found a 9 3/4" oak Gon Bops requinto to add to my set! It will match my 10 3/4" and 11 1/2". I just barely won out the ebay auction with my max bid, which was really a bit more than I was wanting to pay, but these quintos are really hard to find so I jumped on it. It looks to be in really good shape from the pics. It shipped out today, so hopefully I'll have it early next week and post pics.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Found a Requinto!

That should be a nice addition to the drums.

Pix when you get it right? Of course!
    Gary

User Info Menu

Here are some of the pics from ebay, I'll post more when it gets here.

User Info Menu

I like the finish on that quinto. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I found a 9 3/4" oak Gon Bops requinto to add to my set! It will match my 10 3/4" and 11 1/2". I just barely won out the ebay auction with my max bid, which was really a bit more than I was wanting to pay, but these quintos are really hard to find so I jumped on it. It looks to be in really good shape from the pics. It shipped out today, so hopefully I'll have it early next week and post pics.
    I bet your PUMPED UP!! I bet you are thinking of all the three drum playing possibilities now.

What a sweet little gem.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Found a Requinto!

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    I bet your PUMPED UP!! I bet you are thinking of all the three drum playing possibilities now.

What a sweet little gem.
    I second that one, Gretschhead! Two congas sound cool, but three sound awesome! Congrats on that Gon Bops requinto! (darn, now I want to find one to make mine a four-conga set-up!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I second that one, Gretschhead! Two congas sound cool, but three sound awesome! Congrats on that Gon Bops requinto! (darn, now I want to find one to make mine a four-conga set-up!)
    Four congas bongobro? Why not seven? Ha! Ha!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjGgc1UkkU"]YouTube - Samuel Torres performs on 7 congas tuned to E minor[/ame]

User Info Menu

The quintó has arrived! Man I couldn't be any happier with it. It is in pretty excellent condition, much nicer than my other 2 drums. There a few scuffs and some residue from a stand, but after a little cleaning this baby will shine. The harware is in especially good condition, the nicest chrome I've seen on any old gon bops.The head is well broken in with a a great sound and feel. I cranked it up tight and boy does it have an amazing warm vintage tone! The sound is perfect with the other two drums, as I had expexted . Thoroughly pleased with this buy, now if I can just find a super tumba.

I'll post some pics when I get them uploaded.

User Info Menu

The quintó has arrived! Man I couldn't be any happier with it. It is in pretty excellent condition, much nicer than my other 2 drums. There a few scuffs and some residue from a stand, but after a little cleaning this baby will shine. The harware is in especially good condition, the nicest chrome I've seen on any old gon bops.The head is well broken in with a a great sound and feel. I cranked it up tight and boy does it have an amazing warm vintage tone! The sound is perfect with the other two drums, as I had expexted . Thoroughly pleased with this buy, now if I can just find a super tumba.

I'll post some pics when I get them uploaded.
    Congrats on that Gon Bops Gretschhead Wow! now you have three! I bet the skin sounds good, no skin on the market today can replace the sound of an original gon Bops head, not cow, mule, buffalo not even Duck billed platypus. Ok maybe Duck billed platypus L4C

User Info Menu

Here are some pics, sorry for the delay, I don't have internet at home anymore.

User Info Menu

Very Sweet!

User Info Menu

Whoohoo, I think I located a super tumba ! I have to take a road trip tomorrow to pick it up. 13.5" is what the guy told me, will be a great way to finish off the set! I'll post more info when I pick it up, I havn't seen it yet.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Found a Requinto!

Sa-WEEEET!!! You know the drill...keep us posted, and I can't wait to hear them!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Awesome GH!! You have a really nice little collection going now!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Hey Gretschhead, Was this worth $200 bucks?I just picked it up. It's a 9 3/4, requinto Gon Bops, the head is very slightly out of round but I haven't seen too many were perfectly round. It's got a few scratches and dings but no cracks. The cow skin seems to be poor quality but that's not a problem, I got a nice one ready to mount
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Sweet grab L4C! I'd say $200 is a great price for that drum, the quintos are tough to find. It looks to be a mahogany drum. Those side plates are not very common, they experimented with a few different designs, and I rarely see these. Other than the scratches she looks beautiful, I love the grain on the mahogany drums. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after you put a good skin on it.

User Info Menu

Sweet grab L4C! I'd say $200 is a great price for that drum, the quintos are tough to find. It looks to be a mahogany drum. Those side plates are not very common, they experimented with a few different designs, and I rarely see these. Other than the scratches she looks beautiful, I love the grain on the mahogany drums. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after you put a good skin on it.
    Wow, Now that you mention it, the side plates are different. Gon Bops did use these? or did I get a fake? It dosn't appear to have the shadows or marking of the standard side plates as though these originaly came on this drum.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Wow, Now that you mention it, the side plates are different. Gon Bops did use these? or did I get a fake? It dosn't appear to have the shadows or marking of the standard side plates as though these originaly came on this drum.
    L4C

They are definitely original just rare, I have seen them on a couple of other drums before. Not sure why or when they changed to this design, but it apparently didn't last for very long. Not sure how the rarity works into the value of it. You would think someone who already has drums with that hardware might pay a little more to get a match, but then again it might be more difficult to sell because they are so hard to match. Either way its a hell of a nice drum and will sound amazing with that new skin.

User Info Menu

They are definitely original just rare, I have seen them on a couple of other drums before. Not sure why or when they changed to this design, but it apparently didn't last for very long. Not sure how the rarity works into the value of it. You would think someone who already has drums with that hardware might pay a little more to get a match, but then again it might be more difficult to sell because they are so hard to match. Either way its a hell of a nice drum and will sound amazing with that new skin.
    Thanks Bro,
    I feel alot better but I gota tell ya, with out the original skin it will never have that original sound but I'll get it close. If I did have the original, as long as it's not torn no matter how ugly or dirty I would never change the head on a Gon Bops. My Bro has one thats cracked, way out of round and the head is real dirty but sounds so good that when I jam on it I have to stop, look at it and just wonder why.
    Thanks again Gretschhead
    L4C

User Info Menu

Wouldnt Ya Haveta Lose One To Requinto?
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Thanks Bro,
    I feel alot better but I gota tell ya, with out the original skin it will never have that original sound but I'll get it close. If I did have the original, as long as it's not torn no matter how ugly or dirty I would never change the head on a Gon Bops. My Bro has one thats cracked, way out of round and the head is real dirty but sounds so good that when I jam on it I have to stop, look at it and just wonder why.
    Thanks again Gretschhead
    L4C
    I have to agree with you man, the original GB skins are so nice. 2 of my drums have the original and I've had one or two others with originals in the past. The new quinto I got has a different cow skin, and even though it sounds great, the warmth isn't quite at the level of the other 2. I had an oak conga a few years ago that I sold with an orignal skin, this thing was stretched to the max, 15-20 washers on each lug, the rim was probably a good 3.5" below the bearing edge, but man did it sound amazing! All of the original skins I've seen have been very thick and had more of a white/cream color to them, although they were not bleached. I want to say that I heard they used Texas steer, although I could have just made that up .

User Info Menu

congratulations gretschhead!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Wouldnt Ya Haveta Lose One To Requinto?
    Like reload, remove, replace?

User Info Menu

Got to love those old Gon Bops! The tone is exceptional. they can test you but if you can repair a few cracks then these are a great chioce. I love my Gon Bops.

User Info Menu

Here are some pics, sorry for the delay, I don't have internet at home anymore.

Great Luck ! Those were a great vintage & model of Gon Bops, I had those too but sold them ( the fool I am ) in 1979. The wood bands some times begin to delaminate so...if you see that, be sure to re glue it a.s.a.p. before it spreads or splinters off. I have a handle on a set of GB Voodoo model ( black w/ silver grain finish on mahogany shells in Requinto & Quinto sizes. I just did not have the $$$ to get them & they need restoration clean up & new heads. Too much work for resale item but great for personal collection .