Thread: relaxion

User Info Menu

Default relaxion

so how do you guys relax when your drumming. it seems that i cant relax when I'm playing certain things. and epically when i'm learning new things i tense up and it makes it worse!

User Info Menu

Default Re: relaxion

Take it slow and easy and get your ability to play relaxed...it will come. If you get tense, then it's time to quit and go back to it another time. When learning new things, slow and easy until it starts to fall in ploace...don't rush it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Don't try to push the song, rather, take a breath and listen, allow it to lead you at it's pace. I find myself humming or singing the songs as loud as the band sometimes. This keeps me locked in with the melody and form of the tune.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

Practice relaxed. If you start to feel tension when you practice, stop, slow the metronome down, (You do use a metronome don't you?) and start again.

If you have to play something that is too fast to play relaxed, simplify it. Turn 8th notes into 1/4 notes, drop the hi-hat note when you play the snare, or play hi hat in groups of 3 with a rest rather than continous notes.

Get some help with your technique. Check out the Moeller system for help on getting speed and Power with relaxation. Dom Famularo is the Master at teaching this.

Andy

User Info Menu

46SA, I think I understand where you're coming from. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so if I start to struggle with something, I can tense up pretty quick. When that happens, I walk away and go do something else. My brain keeps working on the stuff I was trying to learn, and I find when I come back (sometimes it's even the next day) that I am able to do so much better, and I can play/practice without the tension (or at least as much ).

One of the important things that my fellow Drumchatters have taught me is that tension in the enemy, for a drummer. Don't keep working through the tension, because it's all about muscle memory, and you will teach your muscles to do things with tension. As has been said, slow down and eliminate the tension.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Take it slow and easy and get your ability to play relaxed...it will come. When learning new things, slow and easy until it starts to fall in place...don't rush it.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    so how do you guys relax when your drumming. it seems that i cant relax when I'm playing certain things. and epically when i'm learning new things i tense up and it makes it worse!
    Remember, youre playin cause its fun..........why get so up-tight ?

User Info Menu

It will come as you get more and more experience. When I play now I get relaxed and I'm kinda swaying all over the place with my eyes shut and probably look like I'm on PCP. It's a lot easier to relax when playing slowly, and when playing very fast beats you're going to need to tense up a little bit to get the speed you want.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

I wish I could help dude... it's rare that I'm not relaxed.
    Maybe some breathing techniques or something... take a 2 minute break and think about something else and then dive back into what you were doing before your body has a chance to tense up again.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Your body should be working with you, not against you.
    You wanna be feeling the groove flow through you. Thats the sensation you are after!
    Dem drumsticks should be extensions of your body. If its not flowing, just quit pracice that day. It wont do you no good!

User Info Menu

Well, in my experience, being able to play comfortably just comes from practicing the thing that's making you tense over and over.

Or if it's speed you're after and you're getting tense from exerting yourself, there may be some good news: I've noticed that for me at least, tensing up leads to higher endurance, kind of like lifting weights. Except with drumming it's more like gaining wrist muscle endurance, I guess. :P So in a way I think tensing up might not necessarily be a bad thing if that's your situation, as long as you're not playing a show or anything (in which case you probably shouldn't be playing anything that you haven't practiced lots anyway!).

Edit: Forgot to mention that by this I was assuming you're using your wrists rather than your arms, as kaosotis said. The tension should be in your forearms.
    Last edited by matthew62593; 04-30-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

One word, wrists. If you are playing too fast for what you can do, you are probably using a lot of arms, bending at the elbows. That's going to tense you up right away. It's the curse of newer drummers. Trying to play fast when you don't have the technique to do it yet will teach you bad habits.

If you are using your wrists, and your forearms are tightening up, that's just practice and endurance, while being careful about technique.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

just FART, youll be fine!
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 04-30-2009 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

ha. thanks. ill try it.