Thread: Any Bahamian Percussionists out there!

User Info Menu

Default Any Bahamian Percussionists out there!

I'm going to the Bahamas in July for 3 weeks. Thought it might be nice to have a jam while I'm there.

Anybody out there....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any Bahamian Percussionists out there!

Last time I was there, I jammed with a conga player on the street. He was playing for the crowds for change and practically begging for money. I told him I was a drummer and he invited me to play. He liked the way I played and we made an instant friendship. I had a drum T-shirt on and he had commented on it. I took it off and gave it to him. I walked back to the ship with a sense of giving but especially with a sense of friendship that came through our shared passion.

User Info Menu

Nice story!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Last time I was there, I jammed with a conga player on the street. He was playing for the crowds for change and practically begging for money. I told him I was a drummer and he invited me to play. He liked the way I played and we made an instant friendship. I had a drum T-shirt on and he had commented on it. I took it off and gave it to him. I walked back to the ship with a sense of giving but especially with a sense of friendship that came through our shared passion.
    Did you bring a drum or use one of his?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

You need to connect with Kay-Gee - he lives in the Bahamas, though I believe he's on one of the outer islands. Look for some of his posts. He plays right on the beach, and also at a beach club.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

My neibour is about the best hand drummer I have ever seen in my life. He owns the beach club where I work and keeps congas there for jamming.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Did you bring a drum or use one of his?
    I used his drum. I'm not really a conga player but I can do a lot with time and certain rhythm patterns and so on. So I was showing him some of that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    My neibour is about the best hand drummer I have ever seen in my life. He owns the beach club where I work and keeps congas there for jamming.

all the best...
    Hi! Thanks for replying! Will send you a pm when I'm coming out. Which Island are you from?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Any Bahamian Percussionists out there!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I used his drum. I'm not really a conga player but I can do a lot with time and certain rhythm patterns and so on. So I was showing him some of that.
    Hey, Tom--you just proved what I've always said: If you can play it on a set, you can play it on the hand drums! I bet you rocked, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I live on Exuma. approx 150 miles SE of Nassau.

all the best...