Thread: Two big problems, I need help

User Info Menu

Unhappy Two big problems, I need help

I have a Pearl p122 double pedal. It's great besides one thing, the hoop clamp (the thing that clamps on the bass hoop) is stuck. When I loosen the bolt it just doesn't do anything. The piece that holds the clamp down just stays in the same position. It just Doesn't move no matter how much I twist it in and out. Does anyone know why it is doing this; or even better, how to fix it?

The other thing is my floor tom. It's a pearl forum 16" x 16" and I've snapped 3 of the tension rods trying to get the head off. They are stuck in the (I forget what you call them but the thing you screw the rods into). The other rods seem to be bent. I was in a hurry when I was tuning my kit so I had my friend (is a guitarist) tune the floor tom. He tightened it way to much and when I realized that is when the rods started snapping. I don't think he seated the head properly and he tightened the rods too much.

Can anyone tell me what I should do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Two big problems, I need help

Hey Owens, Welcome to Drum Chat!

If your pedal is still under warranty, take it back to where you purchased it. It sounds like a defect to me. There really isn't much you could do to damage it, unless the screw that pushes the clamp down is stripped or something?

Sounds like you need to buy some new lugs for the floor tom. And NEVER let a guitarist touch your drums!! EEEEEEEK!!!! I don't touch their stringed things, and they don't touch my drums. Ever.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

get some crc

or engine lube

User Info Menu

Yeh i think Norske's given good advice, look at the warranty. Tbh i would prefer having the pedal always clamped to the drum than mine, mine always slips off when im playing. How far are the tension rods stuck in the lugs? If there is quite a bit coming out the end i reckon you could take them out with some pliers or something just by turning tightly. You might have to buy new lugs for the bent ones

User Info Menu

You could try a little penetrating oil like WD30 to help loosen up the stuck parts on the pedal. It sounds like you have have some stripped lugs on the Tom. The rods that are snapped off are probably not going to come out easily, and you risk damaging the drum shell if you try to force them out, with vice grips or pliers. I would take the Tom, and the pedal stuck to you hoop, to your local drum shop and order some matching lugs, and rods (if they don't have some in stock), see what they recommend regarding the pedal. Being in the business they've probably seen this problem before and know just how to fix it. Then as Norske said, always do your own tuning, and set-up, and don't ever let the guitarist touch your set again, unless it's me ;^).
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Stop tighting things so much. There is no way you should tighten any drum until you snap a lug! Same with your kick pedal. It should be finger tight on your hoop and thats it! If you are having problems with your pedal moving extend the spikes into the carpet a bit.

User Info Menu

I had the same pedal and can't think of anything that would cause that issue. Perhaps a piece of debris is jammed in there?
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Thank you for all of your advice. I don't have a warranty on that pedal, but its not stuck to the bass drum. The screw freely moves in and out, it just doesn't move the clamp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Thank you for all of your advice. I don't have a warranty on that pedal, but its not stuck to the bass drum. The screw freely moves in and out, it just doesn't move the clamp.
    Did it get tightened so hard the the clamp is stuck into the wood hoop? Definately no reason to tighten it that much, have to lighten up on the adjustments in the future.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Hey Owens, Welcome to Drum Chat!

If your pedal is still under warranty, take it back to where you purchased it. It sounds like a defect to me. There really isn't much you could do to damage it, unless the screw that pushes the clamp down is stripped or something?

Sounds like you need to buy some new lugs for the floor tom. And NEVER let a guitarist touch your drums!! EEEEEEEK!!!! I don't touch their stringed things, and they don't touch my drums. Ever.
    lollll, My guitarist has a "Call the drummer", beat. I absolutely HATE IT, when people touch my drums. So he thinks its funny that, when I leave the room, he plays what he says is my own bird call. When I hear it I'll come running and throw him off!. Oh yeah, Owens, I'd check the warranty, or get new lugs, I wouldn't even bother digging those suckers out.

User Info Menu

I fixed both of the problems.

I fixed the hoop clamp by hitting it until it got unstuck.

I fixed the tension rods by breaking them all and getting a new set of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    I fixed both of the problems.

I fixed the hoop clamp by hitting it until it got unstuck.

I fixed the tension rods by breaking them all and getting a new set of them.

WOW.....sounds like a bad dsy to me . Remember , you dont need to tighten the crap out of those screws , sounds like they were tightened too much and stripped......not good for your drums ( or wallet ).

User Info Menu

Well, if there's one thing we drummers should be good at, it's percussive maintenance.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I like to play and fix my drums by hitting them. It normally works out ok.