Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I add?

User Info Menu

Question What should I add?

I have a pearl forum (standerd) set. I mainly play metal and heavy rock. Iwas wondering what I should add on to it. Mainly thinking about toms to put on it.

I was thinking a matching 10" x 8" rack tom and a 14" x 14" floor tom.

What do y'all think I should put on it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What should I add?

what snare are you using? A steel snare would be nice
    Last edited by Andreeew; 04-19-2009 at 01:07 AM.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

What toms do you have already? 12, 13, 16? Additional cymbals are always a winner

User Info Menu

What cymbals do you have? You can get another crash, a china, a splash... anything you feel your kit needs but doesn't have. It's different for everyone. As an example, I am planning on buying a couple of Vault crashes in the next few months, which will bring my crash count to 4, but still no splashes or chinas. I just don't think I need them yet.

A second snare is always a good idea too. Or like you said, a 10x8" rack tom.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I like the snare I have on there. I maninly want to add toms right now cause I'm set with cymbals.

User Info Menu

I got 2 words.............

MORE COWBELL.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I got 2 words.............

MORE COWBELL.........
    Exactly! Remember, drums and cymbals, however many, only count as one percussive sound(instrument) each.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Where can I buy individual drums for the forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Find a Pearl diistributor in your area and get them to order something in for you, or they can ship it out to you if they arent close by .

User Info Menu

Check to see if the same color is available. Manufacturers love to discontinue colors......

User Info Menu

let me see................rototoms, cowbells, a kazoo,maybe forget about drumming and take up the keytar!! they are all pretty much on the same level.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    let me see................ a kazoo,
    I like that idea.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Agreeing with rototoms and cowbell. You might also consider tembalis. They will probably be my next addition. But of course you can't really go wrong with buying another tom or two. Good luck finding what you want!

User Info Menu

I'd say drop the 13" tom and pick up a 10" rack tom, then either a 14" or 18" floor tom.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I'd say drop the 13" tom and pick up a 10" rack tom, then either a 14" or 18" floor tom.

You mean to put the 12"x9" where the 13"x10" is, then put a 10"x8" where the 12"x9" is? If so, why not just add a 10"x8" to the left of the 12"x9" and have 3 rack toms and then get a 14"x14" floor tom to go infront of my
    16"x16" floor tom?

User Info Menu

I would say go with the 14" floor tom and then get another cymbal!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

I'm mainly concerned about what toms I should get right now.

User Info Menu

okay then, well mainly metal means a 14" floor tom. Don't worry about a 10" right yet.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Why not just add a 10"x8" to the left of the 12"x9" and have 3 rack toms and then get a 14"x14" floor tom to go infront of my
    16"x16" floor tom?
    Because then it'll be 10, 12, 13, 14, 16. It depend on personal preference, but most people are going to say that 12, 13, and 14 are too sonically close to sound interesting. You can go check out my thread that I posted a little while back with a similar question, called "10 inch tom". That should give you some good info.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    You mean to put the 12"x9" where the 13"x10" is, then put a 10"x8" where the 12"x9" is? If so, why not just add a 10"x8" to the left of the 12"x9" and have 3 rack toms and then get a 14"x14" floor tom to go infront of my 16"x16" floor tom?
    Because then it'll be 10, 12, 13, 14, 16. It depend on personal preference, but most people are going to say that 12, 13, and 14 are too sonically close to sound interesting. You can go check out my thread that I posted a little while back with a similar question, called "10 inch tom". That should give you some good info.
    What he said, and yes that's what I mean.
    I find 13" toms to be awkward. I mean if it was a 4-piece then it wouldn't matter but having it next to a 12" or 14" just makes it weird. I mean, you could throw the 13" to the other side of your hi-hats if you wanted.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

so what if I configured it like this: 13",10", 12", 14", 16"?

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's cool. I did something similar with my old Tama kit... 13/hats/8/10/12/14/16/18
    and on my current set I simply left off the 13 and 18... might eventually drop the 8 too.

I mean if you're going to be using the 13" a lot and you're really needing to add two more toms then go ahead and leave it in there in numerical order.

User Info Menu

I've been looking around at cymbals and drums and I think I know what drums to add. However, when it comes to cymbals I'm not sure about the crashes.

I'm thinking a 14"x11" rack tom and a 18"x16" Floor tom. Maybe a snare that will give me more of a metal sound then my 14"x5.5" Forum tom. If I added a snare I would put the 14"x5.5" to the left of my hats. What is a low cost snare that would be ideal?

I already have (all Cymbals Zildjian ZBT):
    13" Hats
    14" Crash
    16" Crash
    18" Crash Ride

I think I will get a ZBT EXPANDER CYMBAL SET that includes an 18" Crash and 18" China. Good choice?

I also need a splash or two?

I have no idea what crashes to add. Would some ZBT rock crashes do the trick? Maybe get the full ZBT Rock set that will give me 14" hats, 16" crash, 18" crash, and a 20" ride (all of them are ZBT Rock). I guess if I did that I could put my 13" ZBT hats on a closed mount somewhere above the 14" Rock hats. Then I could use the 20" Rock Ride as the main ride and put my 18" ZBT crash/ride near it so I could switch off of them. Is there enough difference in sound between the ZBT and ZBT ROCK series to do this?

Remember though, I'm going for that heavy metal sound.

User Info Menu

Can someone please get back to me. I might be ordering some stuff tommorrow.

User Info Menu

What would you say your level is? Beginner, Inter?? I would suggest getting better cymbals if your looking to upgrade. I ordered a set of Sabian XS20's from guitar center for 570$. Might be something to think about. I used to play on ZBT's but never liked the "thick" sound they had. Good luck with whatever you decide though!!

Error