Thread: Question about practicing

User Info Menu

Default Question about practicing

Hello all,

I noticed in the first few pages there were quite a few threads regarding drumming "slumps", and I have a question that is related to that topic.

My question is, is it normal to play substantially better and enjoy yourself a lot more when you're practicing with your band? Not that I play badly when it's just me and my brother (him on guitar), but the way I play with my band when I'm all excited to be playing together is quite better. My main concern with this is that due to the fact that the excitement isn't really there while practicing by myself, I'm not getting as much out of it as I could, even though I practice roughly 2 hours a day. So is this normal or should I do something to liven up practice? Especially lately, the regular practicing has been tiring and less comfortable than it used to be, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about practing

It's normal. Practice is good, don't ever think it isn't but...you become the best you can be by playing with others. All the great technique that you can practice won't amount to a thing unless you're playing with a band.

BTW, Welcome to the Drum Forum...a good place to hang and learn about drums and drumming.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Hello welcome to drumchat.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Hey Matthew, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

I agree very much with Frank, and you seem to have nailed it on the head yourself in your explanation. Playing with other musicians will help you to improve your skills much faster than playing on your own. Why? Because you learn to play the songs in the way that a band plays them....in other words, you learn the dynamics of playing with other musicians. That's the key to playing effectively. Knowing where the other musicians are going within the song and adapting to that. Especially when you can lock in with a bass player and be in the same groove.

I play in two bands, and lately I have been attending two practices a week, and I'm generally playing out at least two times a week in addition to that. Since like most people I have a full time day job, that means I really don't have much time to practice on my own. When I do, it's generally to learn a more difficult song, or to work on something a little more technically advanced than I need to in most songs. Maybe a special intro, or a more intricate fill. If there's a cd or MP3 available for what I need to learn though, I can usually nail it by listening to it 5-6 times and then playing it with the band.

The more time you can spend playing with other musicians, the more second nature a lot of things will become. I can improvise to most anything, and that's done most often while practicing with one of the bands, since that's when I really have the time to experiment.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drum chat and i would also like to add as well as play with your band if you have a mate that plays drums you should ask them to bring there kit around or you go to there place and both of you play drums. I found playing with anther drummer helps inprove skill and makes you think diffrently. I found it a great help to my playing skill.
    Our weapons were our instruments
    Made from timber and steel
    We never yielded to conformity
    But stood like kings
    In a chariot that's riding on a
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about practicing

Quote Originally Posted by matthew62593 View Post
    Hello all,

I noticed in the first few pages there were quite a few threads regarding drumming "slumps", and I have a question that is related to that topic.

My question is, is it normal to play substantially better and enjoy yourself a lot more when you're practicing with your band? Not that I play badly when it's just me and my brother (him on guitar), but the way I play with my band when I'm all excited to be playing together is quite better. My main concern with this is that due to the fact that the excitement isn't really there while practicing by myself, I'm not getting as much out of it as I could, even though I practice roughly 2 hours a day. So is this normal or should I do something to liven up practice? Especially lately, the regular practicing has been tiring and less comfortable than it used to be, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the board ...........When I practice alone , I like to play along to the radio . If I get tired , I simply change the station, rock , jazz ,country ,good luck .