Thread: DW Drum Pedals

User Info Menu

Default DW Drum Pedals

bought a 5000 accelerator double kick pedal and i have to say, not impressed much prefer the weight and feel of my iron cobras, they feel better made to start off with, first thing i noticed was the bells and whistles, so many alan key bits that don't need to be there. Have yet to really try a 9000 but for any amount of time think i'll be sticking to me iron cobra rolling glides.

what do u think of dw pedals
    Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dw Pedals

I also have a DW 5000 accelerator, but in a single pedal. I think thats its very smooth and responsive. I wanted something DW, and it was on sale so I went for it. I havent played many other pedals except my Pdp double bass pedal (which says why I upgraded) my camco, and a pearl double pedal (not sure what model but it was smooth and responsive as well).

I like my DW pedal, but if it doesnt work for you, then hey stick with the Cobras.

User Info Menu

I think that "bells and whistles" are over rated.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    bought a 5000 accelerator double kick pedal and i have to say, not impressed much prefer the weight and feel of my iron cobras, they feel better made to start off with, first thing i noticed was the bells and whistles, so many alan key bits that don't need to be there. Have yet to really try a 9000 but for any amount of time think i'll be sticking to me iron cobra rolling glides.

what do u think of dw pedals
    I've never tried an Iron Cobra Pedal so I couldn't compare...but I do use a DW9000 single pedal.
    I love mine. Best I've ever used!

Cheers!
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

The Iron Cobra is much like the DW 500 pedal...no wonder I like my Iron Cobra.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I have a single 5000, a double 5000 and my remote hi-hat is a 9000...I love them. I have had ICs in the past and I prefer the 5000s.

To each his own.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Dw Pedals

I Like"Red My Brother",Am A Solid Dw Fan....Maybe Cos I Havent Had An Ic Or Played One Extensively....Da Thot Crossed My Feet Once But Da Opportunity Never Came About....ENJOY WHATCHA GOT;NEVER GIVE UP DA SEARCH TO TAKE IT TO "YER" NEXT LEVEL....JUST PLAY ON BROTHERS & SISTERS .......PLAY ON
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I've always been thoroughly impressed with DW pedals, even their lower end models are smooth and well built. Maybe it just needs adjusting? You really can't go wrong with the iron cobras though, I think they have the best feel of any pedal.

User Info Menu

In Feb., I bought a DW 9000. I love the floating feel and response of it. That is excellent, but I've had problems with my foot crawling up the footboard as I play. I just put a pro-mark grip peddler on it and that helps a good bit. I have to say, though, that the response is like nothing I've ever played. It's wonderful. Adjustment options are almost unlimited. You can really customize the feel to make it your own.

Where I feel DW could improve is on the sturdiness / durability of the spring. I can't be sure if I had a weak / defective spring out of the box, but I've already broken one spring. I'm carrying a spare now. When I put the new spring on, I turned it so the open end of the "hook" at the bottom of the spring was turned AWAY from the foot board, eliminating the chance for my shoe sole to grab that end and bend it. A friend of mine got the DW 8000 - he says the difference is the spring is on the outside of the framework and not next to the footboard. If you're considering a 9000 and you tend to play "high" on the footboard, you may want to get the 8000. That way you can avoid inadvertent contact with the bottom of the spring as you play.

Also, I think their pedals could use a larger, positionable toe stop. That could solve the crawling problems. I'm sure I'll get more used to the DW, but that's distracting right now.

I know what you're thinking... but I'm not a pounder and stomper. The pedal I bought the DW to replace is my wonderful old Premier 252 pedal that I've had since I bought it new in '76. That, alone, proves that I'm not a maniac with my pedals.

DW's fine and all, but if I could find a couple of like new Premier 252's, I'd use them. The design of the Premier's footboard turns slightly upward as you get toward the end and it seems to cradle your foot, and there's an adjutable toe stop. I never had to worry about my foot crawling on that pedal. And the spring is encased in the pedal, not exposed. The 252's in original condition and because of the age, there is a bit of a lag. If that weren't the case, I'd still be using the Premier. That is my all-time favorite pedal. Wish I had half a dozen of them.

User Info Menu

I have played them both rerularly and prefer my DW pedals over the IC's.

User Info Menu

I have a DW (5000? 2000? 419?... I don't remember) and an Iron Cobra. Both single pedals. I very much prefer the feel of the Iron Cobra, but am forced to use the DW more because the Iron Cobra doesn't have anchoring spikes and I get kick creep. The DW does have the spikes, plus mad velcro that takes two Marines to get off the carpet!
    Last edited by Lambaster; 04-21-2009 at 04:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been looking into new pedals to raplce by Mapex P380A's, as I feel that I can't do as much with them as I would with "better" pedals for want of a better phrase. One of the pedals I was looking into was the DW5000. Interesting to see the comparisons to the IC, which was another I'm looking at. Still, I'm going to try them all out and then make my decision based on what I prefer playing. But interesting to read.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I have DW 4000 doubles. Long story short, I replaced the beaters with IC rubbers and took the cams to a machine shop and had the flats removed to allow unlimited beater positioning. A couple of links removed from the chains and I'm loving them now. Great construction just the lower model did not have enough adjustment. Now it has all the adjustment I will ever need. Cant beat the IC beaters though. Those things are a work of art.

User Info Menu

I've got the 9000 single an I love it, but hey, to each his own.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I own DW 9000 single and 5000 double. I've played my friend's IC's when I rehearse at his place. Both are great pedals... period! I'd take either one if you're offloading... Happy with my DW's but have no complaints with IC's. Isn't life grand?!?
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drum Pedals

I still own 2 pedals my trusty old Yamaha (which has a dw beater and I got it on ebay really cheap ) and my pearl powershifter double.
    Since I'm left-handed/-footed (or is that -feet?), I don't get to try out that many new ones. Even if a line has a left version, they mostly dont have it in store...

So actually, apart from my old beater... no idea about the dw ones, but I'm quite happy with my power-shifter and... never change a winning team, or so they say.

\m/ left-handed drummer \m/
    triggerheads for muted drummin' rokk

User Info Menu

Now I do not have much experience with double bass, but the other day I was at the music shop and they had a dw 9000 double set up. I figured what the heck I'll just mess around on it. I guess everything was just set up wrong but oh my god was this pedal horrible. I think the biggest problem was that the bass drum head was tilted and I didnt adjust the beater at all, but it was already set up. Also the throne was a tad high for my liking. But even with all these conditions I still thought the pedal would perform pretty well. It was very unresponsive and I got a weird buzz everytime I hit the pedal. Almost like a buzz roll, but on the bass drum. I think the tension might have been a bit tight as well. Anyway I must say I was very dissapointed, especially for it being a 500 dollar pedal. I played my friends IC and they were 1000 times better then these DWs. But again this is just my own personal experience with DWs pedals.

User Info Menu

I'm confused.
    We chatted earlier and i suggested IC.
    Did you go out and buy them or did you already have them?
    Thought you could clear that up for me.
    Thanks Jaje.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lisdexic loof View Post
    I'm confused.
    We chatted earlier and i suggested IC.
    Did you go out and buy them or did you already have them?
    Thought you could clear that up for me.
    Thanks Jaje.
    No my friend had the iron cobras that I played. I tried out the DWs at a shop. I remeber chatting about geting a double bass pedal but after a lot of consideration I decied to wait a couple more months and make sure I had my singles down perfect.

User Info Menu

oh, well that helps to clear things up a bit.
    i think i may go woth direct drive Axis X2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pwinnington View Post
    I remeber chatting about geting a double bass pedal but after a lot of consideration I decied to wait a couple more months and make sure I had my singles down perfect.
    Great idea. Patience is good.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 04-30-2009 at 03:54 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.