Thread: Constructive Criticism Please

User Info Menu

Default Constructive Criticism Please

Okay, so I posted my very first video on youtube the other day and I really would love some feedback from drummers. I already know the audio sucks so no need to tell me that, I'll eventually invest in mics and what not...but right now I'm talking strictly about the drumming. Um, I guess it should be said that I've been playing for about a year now with no lessons at all. Okay, so let me have it!
    Peace, Luv & Oatmeal
    Merita

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9HqkLY2EXs"]YouTube - Everything But Mine Drum Cover[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Constructive Criticism Please

Good job Merita. Pick up your right hand. Don't let it drag on the snare drum between beats. When you open your hi-hat, make it more definite. You're not playing the full eighth note. Turn off the music and practice those hi-hat openings at a "much" slower tempo until you have them down perfect. Then you can play again at full tempo and it should sound a lot cleaner.

I hope this helps. You sounded real good for no lessons.

Welcome to our Drum Chat family!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Lovely Merita! You've only been playing for one year, with no lessons? Then I'm especially impressed. Drummer gave you some very good tips to get started on, and I agree. Because of the sound quality, it's hard to really comment specifically on any timing issues, but I thought it sounded pretty decent.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Good job, welcome to DC, comments above hit the nail on the head. I thought your timing might be off a tad. Over all good job, keep it up and post more vids. Enjoy DC and see you on the boards.

User Info Menu

Welcome Merita!!! Sounded Good!!I agree with the hi hat, but it isn't always necessary to fully open it all the time. Sometime quick open/closes add a lot of character!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Oatmeal to you!!!

User Info Menu

Sounds fine to me. You go at it with a real sense of purpose. That is the root of good drumming.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Wow sounds good to me. Maybe the right hand drag was for ghost notes. But follow their advice. All in all, good job
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

First ,........welcome to Drum Chat .

Second ....... your timmg was pretty good for only playing a year and not having lessons .

Just remember you dont need to beat the day-lights out of your drums to get sound, some of your fills were getting loud cause you were really laying into the toms .

Your drums sounded liked they were tuned pretty good and your cymbals sounded good to me too , nice tone .

Third........song choice, Back Street Boys ???.......get yourself a big honkin' cowbell and play sumptin country .

Larrysperf Guest

All I have to say is good job on song for only playing 1 year with no lessons. Made it your own and thats what counts. Good job

User Info Menu

No offense but I couldn't bear to listen to that music.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Well, I thought you did a fine job. I was impressed with your "Natural" feel with your hands. I kept seeing that the hi-hat is a bit high for you because you aren't able to play the hats with tip of the stick. You're using to much below the tip where it's thin and will soon shred your sticks. Work on getting your hand up and over the hats. The cross stick is natural as you play it but, gfet in the habit of using the butt end of the stick for this. It will give your playing more authority. You can still spin your stick around to play on the snare if you don't want to be using the butt end on the drum. I use that technique a great deal and always play butt end on the snare...gives it a different feel. All in all, a good start. When you can, start taking lessons from a good teacher so that you will understand better what it is you are doing. BTW, welcome to the Forum.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, Merita!

Gosh, I think it was good. Nothing wrong with the song, either.

Next, we work on sound quality?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Merita, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

I'd say for a year of playing and no lessons you're doing very well. I agree with Drummer on the hi hats. There are a couple of videos on You Tube about playing the hats, so maybe see if you can find them. One of the hardest things to learn is total 4 limb independence, and lots of people have trouble working their hi hat pedal, so it takes practice. But you look like you're doing it right with your hands (keeping in time as the hat is raised and lowered), you just need to work on not dropping it so fast.

Other than that, you're doing great, keep practicing and keep the passion for playing!

Oh and I saw the comment about getting ahead of yourself. That happens too, but with more practice and playing time, you'll start to develop an inner clock that helps you to count beats automatically and develop a feel for when a bridge or chorus is coming.

Hey, did you know you set your kit up backwards??

Sorry, but I had to.....I'm just not right in the head though.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Larrysperf Guest

Just watched it again and all I can say is YOU GO GIRL

User Info Menu

Welcome to our sandbox Merita!

Great job!

-Les