Thread: Getting back into drumming

User Info Menu

Default Getting back into drumming

It's been over 35 years since I've played as a beginner and now I have the itch to play again. I was in the service, transferred to Viet Nam and had to sell my set. Now, I’m looking at an electronic set (space and noise concerns). Once I’ve got some practice and lessons under my belt, I’m looking at doing some 50’s and 60’s stuff. Based on research from this forum, which has been very helpful, and looking at reviews of different sets, I’ve come to the conclusion that something with mesh heads would be the best fit and that the Roland series offers some very good options. I don’t want to limit myself, but I do want to keep the price under $1,000. Although the V Drum Lite HD1 would fill the bill, I think that I may grow tired of it quickly. That being said, both the TD3SW and TD-4S would be logical choices. Since the price difference of the two is about $100, any feedback would be most welcome as far as durability, expandability, playability, and trueness of sound.
    Last edited by MajorBobL; 04-22-2009 at 09:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting back into drumming

Welcome to Drum Chat MajorBobL! I won't try to give any advise on electronic kits, since I don't have too much experience with anything but beginner e-kits (I bought a Simmons SD7K kit for my daughter and her family). There are plenty of people on here that have the kind of experience you need, so hang in there, and get ready for some great advice!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

im not an expert on E-kits, either, but welcome to drum chat!

User Info Menu

Well, a lot of lookie-lous, but no comments? After further research, I learned that drum_chick had some experience with the HD-1. I did PM her and she responded and provided some helpful info. Thanks chick.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Getting back into drumming

Da More Capable Da "Brain" Da More Limitless Da Possibilities....I Do Prefer Da Mesh (more Like A Real Drumhead)to Rubber (playin On A Tabletop)I Also Believe
    You Would Tire Quickly Of Da "HD-1"....Let Us Know Where Yer Search Leads Ya And Good Luck...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Neither the TD-3 nor TD-4 offers much expandability as far as more pads. There is a single extra input for an additional crash. Having owned both the TD-3 and now TD-4 I can say that they are great for practice. I tend to get home from work in the evening and can play late without complaints from the neighbors. I'd stay away from the HD-1. The pad construction leaves it looking like a toy, plus there is no true kick pedal. Keep in mind with the TD-3/4 you will still need to purchase a kick pedal, throne, sticks, and headphones or powered monitors in addition to the kit. There are about 20 preset kits on the TD-3/4, but for the most part I find myself only really using 2-3 of them. You can also build your own kit presets by mixing and matching within the available sounds.

They do not offer the wide array of sounds or customization you'd get from the expensive high end modules such as the TD-12 or TD-20, but it takes quite a bit of extra cash to move up in the Roland product line. The TD-4 is the replacement for the TD-3 in the Roland product line FYI.

You might also consider some of the Yamaha e-kits. I do not have much personal experience with them, but there are plenty around here and other e-drum forums that say good things about them.
    Last edited by MadGary; 05-04-2009 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadGary View Post
    You might also consider some of the Yamaha e-kits. I do not have much personal experience with them, but there are plenty around here and other e-drum forums that say good things about them.
    I have a Yamaha e-kit, and it's great. True - it's a rubber pad instead of a mesh, but honestly..... whatever. I hit it, it makes a sound. I'm happy. I really like the sounds that Yamaha has available, and they tend to be less expensive than Roland drums of similar features.

There's alot of musician's out there in fiscal troubles, so look at the used market too. You just may get lucky and get a gently used version of a better kit for less money.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've had a chance to try the HD-1, TD4, and the Yamaha DTX and I do like the TD4. Started shopping around and hope to have a set in a couple weeks.

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it's coming together for you MajorBobL.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

you could always make an e kit..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I second that. I just started again after a 20 year break, and converted a sad looking set of Pearl Exports into an E kit. I was on a tight budget, and ended up getting a used Roland TD-6 off of ebay for just under $300. It has jacks for 2 crash, and with the right splitters, can do 5 toms plus the usual bass, snare, hi hat, hi hat controller, ride, etc. Converting the kit was a bit time consuming, but now that it is done, my 11 year old and I can play to our hearts content, and really not make much noise in the process. To me, it is the way to go, and with a quick change of heads and cymbals, I can have a full acoustic set if needed.
    Been gone too long, but it feels great to be back!!!
    http://www.drumchat.com/images/smilies/drumset-1.gif
    Pearl export refinished in camo and orange, converted to E-set with Roland TD-6 module. And hey, keep your hands off of my Zildjian's!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That's what I'm interested in as well....making my own e-drums to add to my existing V kit. Any advice on the best links for this information?

Greetings MajorBobl, I am former military myself.....Thank you for your service sir and I hope you enjoy your new e-kit.

-CK