Thread: Defcon's newest video!

User Info Menu

Default Defcon's newest video!

Hey guys,
    Here's my latest, it's Panic Attack by Dream Theater. You can't hear the bass drum at all, due to garbage digital camera mic. I honestly don't think i did a great job, but oh well, tell me what you think anyway...
    http://www.clipser.com/watch_video/1305674
    Last edited by defcon235; 04-21-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Default Re: Defcon's newest video!

Wow, no constructive criticism or anything?
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^

User Info Menu

I'm sure you'll be getting bloodied soon enough. Vids take a day or two to get noticed.

I think you did a great job. I couldn't hear the music real well and I'm not familiar with the song but it seemed like you were on top of it all the way through.

Keep up the good work, def!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by defcon235 View Post
    Wow, no constructive criticism or anything?

sounded good to me man. it is hard to hear the music but i guess the only piece of advice i would have was to make sure you dont rush on some of those transitions from fills back into the beat. I find when i get excited about the music (like most drummers) we tend to speed things up a little bit. Other than that, way to go brother!

User Info Menu

hey Bish, heres the Portnoy / Dream Theater version so you can get a feel for the song.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIiSHi7brsM"]YouTube - Mike Portnoy - Panic Attack[/ame]

Defcon, you did I good job on it, you may want to work on the dynamics in the fills a bit but all in all nice job, I certainly cant criticize anyone who can play Dream Theater songs cause I sure cant right now. Portnoy throws in so many time changes i lose track of what time time sig is through the song

Larrysperf Guest

I thought it is very good, even with not hearing song to well. Keep them coming. Would like to hear your snare cranked up little higher

User Info Menu

Overall you did a nice job Defcon! Your hand and foot speed are definitely up to the task, just need to smooth it out a bit. But very fine effort!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't know what I'd be listening for but it certainly seemed to be very energetic.
    I couldn't hear the music as well as I would have liked but you appeared to know what you were doing. I was wondering though, how do you play your Ride cymbal? From the height of it and it's flat angle in relation to your seat position, it looks like you can only use it as you would a crash.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I am not too familiar with Panic Attack either, but from what I could hear, you did it proud Defcon. You rushed just a touch in spots, but overall, I thought you turned in a pretty solid performance. I agree that you should keep the vids coming.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't really know the song very well yet, but i definitely took all your suggestions to heart!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^

User Info Menu

i can see your resting your left hand alot on your leg (stop that all together very bad habit)....and your posture looks out but it could be a angle of the camera...besides that sweet job

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    hey Bish, heres the Portnoy / Dream Theater version so you can get a feel for the song.
    YouTube - Mike Portnoy - Panic Attack

Defcon, you did I good job on it, you may want to work on the dynamics in the fills a bit but all in all nice job, I certainly cant criticize anyone who can play Dream Theater songs cause I sure cant right now. Portnoy throws in so many time changes i lose track of what time time sig is through the song

Thanks. And I have to go gig tonight. I did NOT need to see that first. I feel so humbled.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I wouldn't know what I'd be listening for but it certainly seemed to be very energetic.
    I couldn't hear the music as well as I would have liked but you appeared to know what you were doing. I was wondering though, how do you play your Ride cymbal? From the height of it and it's flat angle in relation to your seat position, it looks like you can only use it as you would a crash.
    Hey Frank, sorry it took so long to get back to you...i'm a little confused what you mean. My ride is actually quite low, the edge being only about 3" above the floor tom head. It's kinda hard to see because of the camera angle, and me being in the way lol, so heres a recent pic of the kit to give you a better idea of how its placed. Would there be a better place/angle to put it? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks again Guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by defcon235; 04-26-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by defcon235 View Post
    Hey Frank, sorry it took so long to get back to you...i'm a little confused what you mean. My ride is actually quite low, the edge being only about 3" above the floor tom head. It's kinda hard to see because of the camera angle, and me being in the way lol, so heres a recent pic of the kit to give you a better idea of how its placed. Would there be a better place/angle to put it? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks again Guys!
    May I?

You ride looks totally normal in a standard 5 piece kit set up. What I'm seeing (not me doing it personally but others...) Switch it up with your china. Raise it some so it's sitting over the largest mounted tom. I essence it's bringing the ride back around more in front of you. That's totally my own suggestion too, btw.

I have two kits with 3 up toms and in order to use the entire kit I put my ride over the floor tom, just like you. Seems natural and normal. But, I've lately been gigging with two kits that only came as two up and they are mounted on stands to the left of the bass drum so my ride sits where the third tom normally would. Let me tell you, I've grown too accustomed to have it anywhere else so my only other option if I want 3 up is to either raise ride or move it "way back over to the far right" or above the floor tom.

Needless to say, I haven't been using my 3 up kits for that reason.
    Signature here