Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Funny Drumline Stories?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Funny Drumline Stories?

acually 8 but we only march 5 of them, 7th bass is the biggest bass 1 is smallest and it goes up by number
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

One time, we went to a drumline competition. We had practiced countless hours and had the show almost perfect. I don't really remember the score we ended up getting, just that we got 3rd or 4th (and for a small line, that's pretty nice :D). Anyway, our line gets out there, we do the show, and when we leave, I look at the third bass. Well, turns out, he had his drum on upside down the whole time. Ha, I don't think he's ever gonna live that down.

Another time, my good friend was playing the tenors. In the middle of the show, we all hear kind of a 'POP' and we all just look over at him. He broke one of the heads on the drum.

User Info Menu

Just remembered this one. Our old percussion director used to always get really close to our drumline, mostly to hear how we were doing. Well, during one of our rehearsals, he got a little too close to the bass drums. We were crossing over the 50, and of course, we did the usual turn, where he gets hit hard with one of the drums, knocking him flat on his back. :D We were all laughing so hard, we almost couldn't keep playing. I know it's mean, but it's not like we noticed he was there >.>

User Info Menu

ok. I've said that I play crash cymbals. That is true. When marching, they are in the back of the drumline. However, when we turn around, they're in the front. I was the ONLY cymbal player at practice, and I'm not very big, so I was terrified that the whole entire drumline would end up trampling me.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Our college drum line started off the show on the sideline with the horns on all 4 corners of the field. The drums marched out to the center of the field, did a four count turn around and went into a cadence to bring the entire band into the field. Before starting one day a snare drummer threw a cigarette down and out we went. When we turned around there it was. Back in the day we had huge cuffs in our pants and he had thrown the cigarette into his cuff. As we started playing his pants started smoking and went up into flames as he appeared to be doing a really wild dance to our cadence. We lost it!!
    Last edited by BillyH; 09-27-2016 at 01:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna have a marathon round here, of memories.

Let's see. One tenor player I knew got kicked from band entirely, for being on top of a school bus during a competition, with his shirt off. That was an interesting one. I was apparently on that bus, but I don't remember much of it.

I guess this one isn't funny, but I remember learning how to do Chewbacca's growl from another tenor player.

A very skilled snare player (who was a jokester) once kept interrupting the drum captain by consistently tapping riffs. Now, this is the only time I've seen said drum captain legitimately get angry, to the point of threatening to kick him out of the line (which was met with more tapping). The real laugh? The jokester snare player became drum captain the next year, and kept that position for 2 years.

The best one I have, I'm going to have to say it right. Otherwise it comes off really terribly.
    I believe this was during my junior year (when I played tenors). We're practicing in our usual spot outside the band room, with stands. A kid, who I'm pretty sure was an underclassman, walks by with a really corny T-shirt, obviously meant to represent a religious youth group or event. As he walks by us, he reveals the back of the shirt is even more poorly worded, saying "I am a tool" and nothing else.
    Most of the group is already stifling laughter, but the snare player at the furthest end from me nearly doubles over his drum laughing. If we were wearing our drums, I'm sure he would have tripped. Every time I look back on this one, I can't help but feel terrible for that kid who unwittingly and possibly unknowingly burned that one in our memories.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."