Thread: Drum Servicing

User Info Menu

Default Drum Servicing

I didn't know what to call the title.

If you brought home a set of used congas what steps would you take to check out and service your drums? Like lugs, lubricate, heads, skins...
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Servicing

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post

If you brought home a set of used congas what steps would you take to check out and service your drums? Like lugs, lubricate, heads, skins...
    Hi
    Nice drums!
    Send Greg at Artdrum here an email with your questions. There website is good too.

Rhythmtraders is also a place to look. You may want to look at Tony's Conga Adventures too. It depends on what you're looking for.

PM me with you your questions and I'll see if I can help. I've recently done some repairs as you know and I did look at some good info.

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

I like to take all the hardware off including lug plates, then give the shell a good cleaning but you don’t have to go that far. I take all the lugs and wire wheel the threads only not to scuff the chrome on the top. If the threads are bad I’ll get out the old tap and die set. Toss out the old nuts and get all new shiny ones. Steel wool / chrome polish all hardware, put everything back together and lube the threads w/ 3N1 oil. I like my heads to be even all around and if it’s really bad I’ll do the “fill the inside with water” technique and try to get it a little closer to even.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies luv4congas and kona. Both of you are experienced and I respect your opinions. Basically I did what you said luv4congas but maybe less advanced. I took the bongos apart and the drum lugs, rims and all chrome and polished it all up. I used Murphy's soap on the outside shells of the drums and quickly wiped dry. I'm not sure if I want to put the Mule Skin on my 11" conga or leave the skin that's on it...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies luv4congas and kona. Both of you are experienced and I respect your opinions. Basically I did what you said luv4congas but maybe less advanced. I took the bongos apart and the drum lugs, rims and all chrome and polished it all up. I used Murphy's soap on the outside shells of the drums and quickly wiped dry. I'm not sure if I want to put the Mule Skin on my 11" conga or leave the skin that's on it...
    Sorry, my servicing would be more for the drums in bad shape but your are nice, they look pretty good like they don't need much of anything If the skin on your 11 has been broken in and sound good, maybe see if you can find another used head in bad shape, buy it just for the whoop and use that for the Mule so you can have two heads. Aren't two heads better than one?
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post

Aren't two heads better than one?
    L4C
    Depends, if it's Abbott and Costello...no.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum Servicing

Aren't two heads better than one?
    L4C
    Depends, if it's Abbott and Costello...no.
    If you're playin' bongos, bro', ya need two heads!

Seriously, BC, sounds like you're doin' the right things on maintaining your drums. Of course, keep the Lug Lube handy so your threads don't get messed up after you've fixed them up...and you might want to detune your heads when you're not playin' them, although, if you're like me, you're bangin' on them all the time!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Clean the heads regularly as you play them bacteria and fungus grows in skins

I prefeer Lithium grease to petroleum products for lubing the lugs because it does not breakdown like the others

Chrome cleaner (Auto parts store type) for ya know...

Use polish on the body of the conga

Enjoy and play that thing!

User Info Menu

I like to take all the hardware off including lug plates, then give the shell a good cleaning but you don’t have to go that far. I take all the lugs and wire wheel the threads only not to scuff the chrome on the top. If the threads are bad I’ll get out the old tap and die set. Toss out the old nuts and get all new shiny ones. Steel wool / chrome polish all hardware, put everything back together and lube the threads w/ 3N1 oil. I like my heads to be even all around and if it’s really bad I’ll do the “fill the inside with water” technique and try to get it a little closer to even.
    L4C
    EEEEK, Do not use steel wool !!! Use proper polish that will not scratch the mirror finish on chrome or you begin to fast forward the oxidation process. Ruined chrome is just JUNK in value. It cost more to rechrome than to create a new chromed part. Always, re tighten the inside of drum mounting bolts to the side plate / lug plate. They often are loose even when new. The side plates are crucial & must be secured. Other wise they will shift & mar the drum shell, change the alignments of tuning rods & the mount bolts could be weakend & snap !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post
    Clean the heads regularly as you play them bacteria and fungus grows in skins

I prefeer Lithium grease to petroleum products for lubing the lugs because it does not breakdown like the others

Chrome cleaner (Auto parts store type) for ya know...

Use polish on the body of the conga

Enjoy and play that thing!
    Perfect advice Jerry !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    If you're playin' bongos, bro', ya need two heads!

Seriously, BC, sounds like you're doin' the right things on maintaining your drums. Of course, keep the Lug Lube handy so your threads don't get messed up after you've fixed them up...and you might want to detune your heads when you're not playin' them, although, if you're like me, you're bangin' on them all the time!
    I never suggest the Lug lube that comes w/ Lp congas etc. Originally, they use to pkg recycled machinist oil...and did not even filter the residue crap from it, the oil looked like used motor oil. Even the new looking fresh Lug lube oil is crap ! Oil is not going to remain of the threads of tuning hooks very long. Lithium grease is designed for this application but even Vaseline petroleum jelly, last longer. In all cases, wipe of excess before it may stain clothing etc. I have also used graphite grease which was excellent ( I got it from an airlines mechanic at Alaska Air Lines ) Graphite grease last a long time, does not melt or evaporate away. It is dark in color & will stain clothing as well.