Thread: Kinda got discouraged

User Info Menu

Default Kinda got discouraged

So i have been diving into this jazz thing for the last 6 years are so and have really made a name for myself when it comes to jazz i believe. I got offered to come play with a band who was more of a rock/blues band. Problem is i havent played on 1 and 3 in almost 3 years haha, just because i have really been focusing on my jazz. So i was getting upset that i couldnt really figure out the "rock beat" again because i was so used to syncopating everything lol

my story

so anyways im wondering what i shall do to either get back into my rock roots? or continue with my jazz. I know its all personal but i almost felt embarrassed that i was having so much difficulty with basic rock grooves....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kinda got discouraged

Quote Originally Posted by jydg21 View Post
    So i have been diving into this jazz thing for the last 6 years are so and have really made a name for myself when it comes to jazz i believe. I got offered to come play with a band who was more of a rock/blues band. Problem is i havent played on 1 and 3 in almost 3 years haha, just because i have really been focusing on my jazz. So i was getting upset that i couldnt really figure out the "rock beat" again because i was so used to syncopating everything lol

my story

so anyways im wondering what i shall do to either get back into my rock roots? or continue with my jazz. I know its all personal but i almost felt embarrassed that i was having so much difficulty with basic rock grooves....
    Give rock a try, your jazz will make your rock beats that much more unique..... Purchase The Ultimate Realistic Rock Drum Method by Carmine appice, that will get you back into rock in no time......

User Info Menu

u tube? or a couple of lessons?
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I started off doing rock for a number of years but got so into jazz i let it go for the last couple years here.... i think i just need to balance out my playing more between the styles.

User Info Menu

jyd..........its always best to keep yourself diversified . I think it might be best to start practicing your rock grooves slow and steady until you start to feel comfy again .Good luck if you go with the new band .

User Info Menu

Play Back In Black. That's the quintessential rock beat song.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Yeah, pick up some AC/DC albums and play along to them. Once you've got that down you can start mixing the jazz and rock styles to find your own sound.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Hey, you're forgetting that Rock and Blues came from Jazz in the first place.
    Just listen to the music and go with the flow. I'm a jazz player but have no problem slipping back into some Funky blues. Have some fun and quit worrying about it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Hey, you're forgetting that Rock and Blues came from Jazz in the first place.
    Just listen to the music and go with the flow. I'm a jazz player but have no problem slipping back into some Funky blues. Have some fun and quit worrying about it.

im going to take the last part and not worry about it. it just kinda made me mad that i didnt feel personally "up to par" but its music, made to be fun, not discouraging.

just always love input from you guys!

thanks yall

User Info Menu

I am of the opinion that jazz came out of da blues but don't wanna start a fight!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

jazz is insane, once you can do that you can glide through the other music styles