Thread: Putting myself out there

User Info Menu

Default Putting myself out there

First, I'd like to proclaim:

1. I'm not a guitarist. I've only been seriously playing for the last couple years. No lessons, just internally influenced. Honestly, I haven't even pulled them out of their cases yet this year. So it's terribly part-time.

2. I'm not a singer.

However, when you are solo and you need to get parts written, you have to get your ideas out which ever way you can. So this song is what was inside me and I brought it out as best I could with what I can do with the guitar and my voice.

This was recorded almost 2 years ago and I've never gotten around to finishing it...like my hundred other songs. (sigh) Now that I have my drums ready to record, I thought I'd revisit these songs I have. They only have guitar but now I can add drums, too.

I recorded a second version with back up vocals and more guitar parts and a lot of experimentation. Not sure I'm ready to release that one.

Anyway, enough excuses. Oh wait, one more. I was messing with the verses and some parts are serious and some are filling space. You be the judge.

Here you go...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=706493

Click the song "The Message" ... or you could listen to them all if you like. No charge.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Putting myself out there

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    First, I'd like to proclaim:

1. I'm not a guitarist. I've only been seriously playing for the last couple years. No lessons, just internally influenced. Honestly, I haven't even pulled them out of their cases yet this year. So it's terribly part-time.

2. I'm not a singer.

However, when you are solo and you need to get parts written, you have to get your ideas out which ever way you can. So this song is what was inside me and I brought it out as best I could with what I can do with the guitar and my voice.

This was recorded almost 2 years ago and I've never gotten around to finishing it...like my hundred other songs. (sigh) Now that I have my drums ready to record, I thought I'd revisit these songs I have. They only have guitar but now I can add drums, too.

I recorded a second version with back up vocals and more guitar parts and a lot of experimentation. Not sure I'm ready to release that one.

Anyway, enough excuses. Oh wait, one more. I was messing with the verses and some parts are serious and some are filling space. You be the judge.

Here you go...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=706493

Click the song "The Message" ... or you could listen to them all if you like. No charge.

HOLA mi amigo BISH 008 SECRET DRUMMER SPY ANCIENT WISE OWL BIRD CAT Within great aware-ness wisdom knowledge * MUY BIEN AND amigo alot of PASION' within the whole Sound as complimenting the Composition **GRACIAS amigo

User Info Menu

Bish...I listened to all of them but, there is Something within your Message that begs to be heard. It's a simple tune that goes right to the heart of anyone who cares to listen. You easily capture what so many find so hard to understand...and that is, how to say what we feel. I don't know what you have in mind as for the musical side of this but, if I may suggest, set your click track not to the steady "4" beat you did but, rather, to an "8." This way, you get a 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 or 1 + 2 + 3 + 4+ with the focus on beat 1. This gives you more of a 1/2 time rock feel so that, while you have a melodic motion happening, you aren't rushing it. Well done, Sir!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

That's pretty cool Bish! And I think the vocals sound fine...no need to justify anything with us!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Awesome, a Pete Townsend sound from vocals to guitar

User Info Menu

Yea man, sounds good. You couldn't pay me enough money to sing. Good job.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Bish...I listened to all of them but, there is Something within your Message that begs to be heard. It's a simple tune that goes right to the heart of anyone who cares to listen. You easily capture what so many find so hard to understand...and that is, how to say what we feel. I don't know what you have in mind as for the musical side of this but, if I may suggest, set your click track not to the steady "4" beat you did but, rather, to an "8." This way, you get a 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 or 1 + 2 + 3 + 4+ with the focus on beat 1. This gives you more of a 1/2 time rock feel so that, while you have a melodic motion happening, you aren't rushing it. Well done, Sir!!
    You are right on, Frank.

I was going to shoot for a double time cross sticking thinger. That's sort if why I dusted this song off. I need to get it finished. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening, SWD, RHD, Taz, and Beerboy

I appreciate the positive posts!
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

Why didnt I see this sooner very very cool I really enjoyed it . Simple but very pleasing to hear . Bish you got to do more and finish it. Very very talented you are

User Info Menu

Nice job Bish!
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Very cool Bish! I've missed this thread before, but I'm glad I ran across it today. The Message is a cool song, with real possibilities. Kudos!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I dont know how I missed this thread either . Great job Bish , I liked them all .On Smile07 is that you doing all the instrumental and vocals ?I thought that was pretty darn good and had a nice groove to it .