Thread: noob recording questions

User Info Menu

Default noob recording questions

Well maybe not so much a question as a confirmation.
    I've been reading up on recording and as far as I can tell this is how I would need to set up a system.

first of all we are using a Behringer (yeh yeh I know) PMP2000 mixer for our PA system. So in order to run the mixer to the PC I need to connect a firewire audio interface to the mixer and from there into the PC.

From there I can use a program like Audacity to record the tracks.

is this correct or am I missing something?

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Default Re: noob recording questions

If you are just recording for demos, just use a RCA out of your board into the line-in on your soundcard.

User Info Menu

I was wondering if that would work, I'll have to hook it up and try it out.
    What I really want is to be able to do multitrack recording of our band on a budget. kind of an oxymoron isnt it band and Budget, lol

- RIP Frank

User Info Menu

You can multi track, you just cant record all those separate tracks at once.

User Info Menu

hmmm, yeh that could get interesting. I've done it directly into the soundcard before by running a mic into an amp and then amp to soundcard. Thats how I recorded my wifes vocals with the backing track http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

I cant beleive she made the top 50 with that, especially considering she was just learing the song and made quite a few mistakes. we have to redo that stuff soon, should be much better now with a good mic and a mixer.

- RIP Frank

User Info Menu

You should probably check out some recording forums. I'm a full member at mine and have learned a wealth of info.

User Info Menu

you'll need a "full duplex" soundcard or breakout box if you plan on doing overdubs
    eg : simulataneous playback and record

User Info Menu

If your mixer has a firewire interface, you can often use it for multi-track recording, however I'm not sure if Audacity can do that or not. I'm not at all familiar with the PMP2000 and I couldn't find anything saying that it has a firewire interface, but if it does, that should work.

What you have to keep in mind is that it takes a hell of a computer to effectively record multiple tracks. I use a single-core 2.4GHz PC with 3.5 GB of RAM and Creative sound card with ASIO drivers, and I can't reliably record more than 3-4 tracks at once, but YMMV.

And if you don't have firewire than disregard all this, what you need is a cable like this to connect an output from the mixer to the line in (not mic) of your sound card, and something like Audacity does a great job of recording this input.

User Info Menu

If you want a cheap but very reliable and great sounding interface, go with a Presonus FP10. Here in Europe they're at €399, and you get 8 channels trough firewire, with 48V switchable per group of 4 channels, you also get Cubase LE for free, and if you need more channels, just buy another FP10 (preveously Firepod), you can combine up to 3 units together, for a max of 24channels.

User Info Menu

I think we're going to end up getting a Zoom H2 or H4, cheap, good quality portable recording. I've also done some tracks with the pc and audacity, they didnt turn out too bad but I think the H2 will work really well for recording rehearsals

- RIP Frank

User Info Menu

hey is it true you have to have a 3 GHz processor to run usb mics into your computer? what are the system requirements? just curious
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments