Thread: First set of congo/bongo's

User Info Menu

Default First set of congo/bongo's

Hey! the names Josh and I have loved the percussions for a long time. I just got these a while back for $300 out the door. Not my choice of color but the price(timing) was rite. any opinions would be appreciated(TOCA)
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: First set of congo/bongo's

They look very nice..I'm no expert..but I can tell you that TOCA makes a fine hand drum! I had a synergy Djembe with a fiberglass shell that was great sounding (to me) Looks like you got a pretty good deal!

-Les

User Info Menu

forget what they look like,
    how do they sound?

User Info Menu

Congrats James! The only question is whether they fuel your passion. If so, they are the right drums, especially if they fit your budget. I have a set of LP Aspires. I know they are not the best, but they'll do fine for now, and as I grow in skill, I can always upgrade.

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sound great, i had to tune them when I got them and who ever had them before me stretched the skin on th larger bongo(still plays fine) I am not very good at them but I got time to fumble around on. no pun intended. I'm not sure why I put that question on there(must have thought it and it slipped out) I come from Illinois where we have sand stone canyons(Starved Rock state park,check it out on the web) and people sit on the stairs and drum< it carrys for miles and the canyons are just full of thunder.Very cool!

User Info Menu

^Very cool...What part of Illinois is Starved rock located??^^
    Sounds like my kinda place!

-Les

User Info Menu

Hey josh,

I like the cowbell and bongo stand set up! That in of itself offers you more options to play. For $300 you can hardly go wrong in my opinion. Plus, if you don't like the sound the worst case scenario is to sell them again for $300.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    ^Very cool...What part of Illinois is Starved rock located??^^
    Sounds like my kinda place!

-Les
    Hey les. Starved rock is on I-80 north central NOIS(ILLINOIS) and there are even video's of it on youtube. the history of the area rock's. I myself do alot of metal detecting and fossil/artifact hunting. Got some really cool stuff! F/T.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Hey josh,

I like the cowbell and bongo stand set up! That in of itself offers you more options to play. For $300 you can hardly go wrong in my opinion. Plus, if you don't like the sound the worst case scenario is to sell them again for $300.
    Thanks, I was exstatic when I got them. Now I senselessly beat them(wishing I had a drum circle to hang in) and constantly tell myself to leave them on the stand. I am mostly excited for the years to come of putting some good rythms through the wood(congo's) the bongo's are a fiberglass I do believe or a resin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    Thanks, I was exstatic when I got them. Now I senselessly beat them(wishing I had a drum circle to hang in) and constantly tell myself to leave them on the stand. I am mostly excited for the years to come of putting some good rythms through the wood(congo's) the bongo's are a fiberglass I do believe or a resin.
    I also notice the skins look to be in good shape.

User Info Menu

fumble.......congrats on the new toys ,nice buy and a cowbell to boot .

User Info Menu

I love the cow bell and in the white canvas bag hanging there is a beat egg and a set of morocas. I sometimes sit at my kit and play it with fingers alot of cool sounds and the speed is great. I have a problem with accessory ( I want more! ) LOL.
    Last edited by fumbled time; 04-29-2009 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I love the cow bell and in the white canvas bag hanging there is a beat egg and a set of morocas. I sometimes sit at my kit and play it with fingers alot of cool sounds and the speed is great. I have a problem with accessory ( I want more! ) LOL.
    Have you invested in the Meinl Foot Cabasa yet? That's next on my list.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQVZllnosk"]YouTube - New Foot Cabasa from Meinl Percussion![/ame]

User Info Menu

That's nice and playing a box too. Before the video started I thought it was going to be a mini kicker or something like that. You could get two and start those feet on the papadiddles.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: First set of congo/bongo's

Hey, Josh! Welcome to the "bongo brotherhood!" I'd have posted sooner but my computer was fumbling for time, so to speak!

Your Tocas look identical to the bongos and congas a buddy of mine have played for years in his church band (and in a couple of concerts in which we played together)--and they sounded great! Nothing to be ashamed of, man!

I'm from the Granite City area near St. Louis, and I'm surprised there is such a drum circle around Starved Rock State Park...might have to check it out sometime...

Again, welcome to DrumChat from one bongo brother to another!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Very nice man!! MORE COWBELL!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comps. and the welcomes, How else can you talk with so many others so often about your passion. I sized them and came up with a 7", 8.5", 10", 11". The congo's are Toca players series and the bongo's just have a toca badge. Bongobro I use to drive a flatbed semi and have spent alot of hours in your local mills. Have you been to the rock? Or the more drummable mathiessin state park 3 mi from the rock. Deep sand stone canyon's and great tones/echo's. Not to mention the people complementing on the sound and how far it carry's. I better stop I could talk for hours about the area!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: First set of congo/bongo's

Josh, sorry to say you can't drive your flatbed down Granite City way these days now that the US Steel Mill has been idled! Haven't been down (or is it up? ) to Starved Rock, but I bet the acoustics are awesome, man...

Sounds like the only thing better than talkin' about the sounds is makin' them! Will have to check 'em out when I get a free weekend!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Ya! My dad worked up round the starved rock area at a steel mill for 33 yrs. Just closed for good! hard all over. I hear you on the notime to enjoy scenario. Like I said look it up on youtube you can take a vurtual hike LOL! Next time I get there I am going to get some video of the drummin and hopefully by then I will have figured out how to get my video's to load!