Thread: Bass Drum Porting

User Info Menu

Default Bass Drum Porting

i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to port a bass drum head? i was thinking id just hold a coaster up to it and cut around it with a knife, but it didnt come out well last time so id wondered if theres a better way to make a clean hole. also any information on the ups and downs of it would help too. thanks
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Drum Porting

You can cut it yourself , it doesnt get much cheaper than that . the only problem is the hole will eventually start to tear if you have a rough edge .

You can buy a kit for 4 or 6 " holes that comes with a ring to finish off your cut that only costs about 10 $ .

User Info Menu

Heat a Coffee can on the stove and burn the hole through. It will make a clean hole and doesn't look jagged like a razor cut hole will sometimes look. On my kit I just bought a hoes kit for it and installed that. It looks great and re-enforces the hole as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    You can cut it yourself , it doesnt get much cheaper than that . the only problem is the hole will eventually start to tear if you have a rough edge .

You can buy a kit for 4" or 6 " holes that comes with a ring to finish off your cut that only costs about 10 $ .
    My thoughts exactly.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Drum O's is the brand of nice port hole kit things.

User Info Menu

Go with the cutting kit...it's a super clean cut and this will keep it from ripping later. It's cheap. better than having to buy a new $35 head.

User Info Menu

hmmmm... a jigsaw? the kind that goes in a circle?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

cut a polygon or abstract shape. then nobody can comment on your circle cutting skills.
    :D
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

cut out a star lol
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    cut a polygon or abstract shape. then nobody can comment on your circle cutting skills.
    :D
    Haha, they may not comment of your circle cutting skills, they will just give you funny looks

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Heat a Coffee can on the stove and burn the hole through. It will make a clean hole and doesn't look jagged like a razor cut hole will sometimes look. On my kit I just bought a hoes kit for it and installed that. It looks great and re-enforces the hole as well.
    Ditto

User Info Menu

If I were going to do it I would use the heated metal can method. Can anyone give me a guees what my 22x18 Pearl Forum Bass would sound like ported and what difference the size of the hole is going to make. I've tried to understand the sound difference of ports but most of the places I've looked just tell you stuff about how much easier it will be to record.

User Info Menu

There is a "Holz" port hole cutter you can buy, and also "Holz" reinforced bass drum O's to snap onto the hole you port in your drum. But I took my head to my local drum store, they cut it for me and put the protector on all for £11.99 which was just the price of the Holz "O"
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks