Thread: Anybody using Paiste PST 5's?

User Info Menu

Default Anybody using Paiste PST 5's?

I've been looking into buying some cymbals but I'm on a budget. I know budget and cymbals don't mix very well, but the PST5's seem like a nice happy medium. I haven't heard much feedback on them, and wanted to know how they are as far as quality goes. Are they prone to cracking and such. I've been to Guitar Center and they seem to have a nice crisp sound to them. (which I really like) Any feedback is appreciated.. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I think the PST series makes better trash can lids than cymbals. They dent easily and just don't really sound that great. They would be ok for a beginner, but you will need to replace them somewhat quickly, so I don't think they are worth the money. If you want to stick with Paiste cymbals, save up a little longer and go with the Alpha series. They cost a little more, but will run you less in the long run as you will not need to replace them due to denting, cracking, or keyholing.

I have been using Paiste cymbals for a few years now and have had 2 PST cymbals. The 16" crash was trashed in about 3 months and I gave (yes, GAVE) away the hats after about 2 months because I just could'nt stand how unresponsive and dull they sounded. I jumped up to the 802 series (which you can find used. They were discontinued in favor of the Alphas, but still are very good cymbals) and Alpha series and could'nt be happier!
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 01-07-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I think the PST series makes better trash can lids than cymbals. They dent easily and just don't really sound that great. They would be ok for a beginner, but you will need to replace them somewhat quickly, so I don't think they are worth the money. If you want to stick with Paiste cymbals, save up a little longer and go with the Alpha series. They cost a little more, but will run you less in the long run as you will not need to replace them due to denting, cracking, or keyholing.

So the Alphas are the next step up according to their web site.

I just listened to the Alpha 20" Flat ride, and wow that thing sounds awesome!

I'll have to check out the Alpha series as well.