Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Best Album for Beginners

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Best Album for Beginners

    Hey All!
    Just starting drumming again. I want to do it right this time. What are some good albums to play along with at first?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Back in Black. Best beginner ever.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Thanks.
    Just went out and picked up a copy. Yeah, I never owned it. More into the punk rock.

    Thanks again though! It's going onto my iPod as we speak.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    Back in Black. Best beginner ever.
    I was getting ready to say anything AC/DC, pretty much every song is a basic rock beat. Kind of makes me wonder exactly "how good" Phil Rudd actually is....

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    I was getting ready to say anything AC/DC, pretty much every song is a basic rock beat. Kind of makes me wonder exactly "how good" Phil Rudd actually is....
    Well considering every drummer out there reccomends him and learns at least one AC/DC song - i reckon pretty good - makes him probably one of the most copied and covered drummers in the world. The main reason would be becuase of his rock solid timing. Say what you want, but i reckon you'd have to hit him with a freight train to get him to stuff up his timing.

    Other examples of this for begginners would be Beatles (Ringo was the same, solid time and feel, not to flashy or complex to confuse a beginner with fills and solos) and The White Stripes ( I personally hate Meg Whites drumming, but again, for a beginner to go off, it basic and empty enough).

    Another good one would be "Are you Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz. His drummer, while very good (in the sense I think she can play more complex than she does), keeps it nice and simple. "American Women" would work here to, and "Fly Away".

    Punky sort of stuff - I reckon "I Wanna be Sedated" by The Ramones - very straight 4/4 if a remember right. Build your way up to the more modern punk stuff as the tempo's increase a fair amount and when you hear guys like Tre Cool they are actually very, very talented drummers, doing way more than you realise till you try and cover them. He gets bagged on here allot, but Travis Barker/Blink 182 stuff wouldn't be out of the question once you start to get some speed - purely becuase he really is pretty straight for most of the stuff he plays - use songs like "All the Small Things" and "Stay Together for the Kids" (i think that's what it is called)

    Stay away from Jazz untill your ready to start learning more complex stuff. But getting into a bit if Chilli Peppers (and the like) to get your funk and feel would be a good idea. Dont' focus on the fills and kick patterns untill your getting upto them, just try and get the rhythm and feel of the songs. This will help you more than most things, as once you can get the "feel" of a song, you find you'll be able to play along to most things, and funk is one of the best styles to learn this.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Well considering every drummer out there reccomends him and learns at least one AC/DC song - i reckon pretty good - makes him probably one of the most copied and covered drummers in the world. The main reason would be becuase of his rock solid timing. Say what you want, but i reckon you'd have to hit him with a freight train to get him to stuff up his timing.
    That's just it, His timing is great probably the best their is, you could set your watch by his timing. AC/DC is one of my all time favorite bands, the music is great. I love playing anything AC/DC because it is not that hard and no matter who plays what instrument they probably know a few AC/DC songs. As far as the drumming though there is really no need to take a lot of time learning more than one song, because at that point you can play them all, even though a few of them are a little different, but not much and always alot of fun to play, but I still wonder about Rudd, did he ever branch out and play anything technical? Even a solo? Not that many if any. He has a few interesting fills, but not that many of those either. The music doesn't need it. His style is great and couldn't fit the music any better than it does, but if you took him out of AC/DC and put him in any other band he would be lost, but that's just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like because everybody's got one.

    My wife hates it when I play AC/DC, especially with headphones on because all she hears is the drumming and it's the same thing over and over and over, but their music is the best way I have found to work on my timing, it's kind of like using a metronome.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    We have a little game at our practices...I play bass on 1 & 3 while hitting the snare on 2 & 4 all the while doing 8th notes on the hats. I tell them it's an ac/dc song, guess which one. That game never ends.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    What most people miss about Phil Rudd is his incredible ability to move around the beat. Beyond popular misconception Phil is not always spot on the click. Sometimes he plays slightly behind off the beat so he can move s ong to were he wants it. Its a very hard skill to acquire, one that 90% of the drummers in the world havent mastered.

    To the OP, Check out anything by the Ramones, The Sex Pistols (Never Mind The Bollocks is awesome!) and In Love With The System by the Forgotten Rebels.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Wow thank you all for the wonderful ideas.
    Yeah the new school punk, which to me is circa 1992-2001, is all super fast, super prescise drumming. The late Derek of Lagwagon was awesome and Dave Raun is awesome.

    Thank you again for the suggestions and tips.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Another good one would be "Are you Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz. His drummer, while very good (in the sense I think she can play more complex than she does), keeps it nice and simple. "American Women" would work here to, and "Fly Away".
    That is quite an understatement. Cindy Blackman has INSANE chops. If you ever see Cindy doin' her Tony Williams thing you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

    Having said that, it makes me even more impressed that she can groove and rock out like nobody's business! I'd love to have both sides covered (jazz and rock) like she does.

    Or maybe even one side...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

    Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    That is quite an understatement. Cindy Blackman has INSANE chops. If you ever see Cindy doin' her Tony Williams thing you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

    Having said that, it makes me even more impressed that she can groove and rock out like nobody's business! I'd love to have both sides covered (jazz and rock) like she does.

    Or maybe even one side...
    Yeah. I used to think she wasn't that good. then i found out different. I now know she is a brilliant drummer, but for Lenny, she keeps it very straight and simple - which suits his songs and music perfectly. I find that even when I play along to his stuff, I don't really feel any changes like I might with other drummers becuase what she is doing really is perfect for the song. Just another facet of her being a brilliant drummer.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroflux View Post
    Wow thank you all for the wonderful ideas.
    Yeah the new school punk, which to me is circa 1992-2001, is all super fast, super prescise drumming. The late Derek of Lagwagon was awesome and Dave Raun is awesome.

    Thank you again for the suggestions and tips.
    Punk is tough depending on how new to drumming you are. There isn't really any punk that's as easy as AC/DC, so if that's where you are it's a good suggestion. If you are already beyond that, or when you are, here are some other suggestions for punk stuff (some more just alt rock).

    Ramones is almost all easy, just fast. But if you play to albums like Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin, Pleasant Dreams, you get some fast stuff, but some medium tempo stuff too.

    Clash is another good old school punk choice. More challenging, but not in terms of speed.

    Everclear is pretty good, as is Social Distortion.

    Weezer I find is always a good recommendation. Some beginner stuff, some a little more involved. Enough to keep you interested and playing.
    Jesse

    1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    The Eagles Greatest Hits

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    i dont know what the best rock/punk album is to start with as i learned by way of dvd's, books, and playing along to a drum machine. what would be the best album for a beginning double bass player to learn on? or maybe even an advanced one who just cant seem to pick up those feet?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  15. #15
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    What most people miss about Phil Rudd is his incredible ability to move around the beat. Beyond popular misconception Phil is not always spot on the click. Sometimes he plays slightly behind off the beat so he can move s ong to were he wants it. Its a very hard skill to acquire, one that 90% of the drummers in the world havent mastered.

    To the OP, Check out anything by the Ramones, The Sex Pistols (Never Mind The Bollocks is awesome!) and In Love With The System by the Forgotten Rebels.
    Right on glad you said it. Took me years to get it right

  16. #16
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    That is quite an understatement. Cindy Blackman has INSANE chops. If you ever see Cindy doin' her Tony Williams thing you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

    Having said that, it makes me even more impressed that she can groove and rock out like nobody's business! I'd love to have both sides covered (jazz and rock) like she does.

    Or maybe even one side...
    Yepp Cindy is one of the best female drummers in the world

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Didn't Lenny play the drums himself on all his albums?
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Gretsch Renown '57(Motor City Onyx): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x6.5

    Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pearl 13x5.5 Sensitone Brass
    Homemade 14"x5.5" Maple(10 ply Keller)

    Cymbals
    Paiste
    14" 2002 med/heavy hats
    18" Giant Beat multi
    18" Sig Full crash
    20" 505 heavy ride

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    I would say AC/DC then step up to Weezer, and continue on to White Stripes or somthing. But then again, most people here said the same thing.
    I like heaveh mehtal.

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best Album for Beginners

    Check out Nevermind. Most of the beats on there are dead simple, but you get some killer ones like 'In Bloom' and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' on there to spice things up.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •