Thread: Question about mounting oversize "floating" toms

User Info Menu

Default Question about mounting oversize "floating" toms

Hi, newbie here. This is my first post.
    I recently bought a Ludwig Classic Maple used and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with an issue I'm having.
    It is a custom set with four oversize floating toms that have been mounted to tom stands, and a floor tom. This is a big set, one of the things I really liked about it. I got an awesome deal on it. One of the things I noticed right off the bat is that the wing nuts for the tom stands (Gibraltar) are chewed up pretty bad. It looked really cosmetic and something that I could easily take care of, but one of the toms, the biggest of them, apparently had the housing (where it attaches to the stand) burst from over tightening. Obviously someone was tightening it up with a wrench due to the weight of the toms.
    My question is this: What is the best thing to do? A rack seems like it would be a pain to deal with if I needed to break it down (and set it up) for a gig. I've always played sets with mounted toms, so this is kind of new to me.
    Are there better tom stands out there that will hold the weight better? I don't want to tear the hardware up using a wrench, there must be a better way. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, the bass drum is 24", and I don't know if that'll restrict my ability to set up a rack and have the toms fit comfortably (they're all deep and wide, I'm short).

This site looks rad. I'm excited to have a place to exchange information with fellow drummers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about mounting oversize "floating" toms

Welcome aboard clark! I use a rack and it's no problem setting up for gigs. Way faster IMO than stands for my kit..8-10-12-13-14-16-24..my 16 is tightened pretty good but not tight enough to break.It is kinda big for a gibraltar rack being round , the clamp spins pretty ez. Maybe better w/pearl rack but I've never tried 1.

User Info Menu

A buddy of mine has a pearl rack, and he loves it. The square tubing prevent the clamps from spinning and the memory locks are really good. He tears down and sets up every week for church, also with a decent sized set. I'd look into those...
    Welcome to Drum Chat BTW!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Lets see some pics.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely thinking that a rack is a possible inevitability. I just want to take care of my kit, and tightening wing nuts with a wrench until they snap off the housing doesn't follow that plan.
    I have some pics of the set taken buy the guy I bought it from. This is not exactly how I'll have it set up.

If anyone has a similar set up with number of toms/size etc. or links to pics that would help me get a better idea of even how to logistically do the rack, that would be incredibly helpful!
    You can also see another problem (probably for another post). I have a 10" deep Ludwig Coliseum Snare. I'm 5' 8". The guy I bought it from looked to be about 6' 2". I LOVE the drum, but I think I'm going to have to get creative about the stand. With my current stand down as far as it goes, it still sits about 4" taller than I'd like.

User Info Menu

What are the size of your toms? I've had up to a 14x12 rack tom, and I've known guys with bigger hanging toms than that. Sounds more to me like the previous owner over tightened things and that's what caused the problem.

When you buy used you'll probably need to replace a few bits and pieces. Sounds like you need to do that. Shouldn't cost you anything really... you might have to skip eating at Taco Bell for lunch one day this week if your budget is super tight.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Posted some pics, but they haven't been authorized by a moderator yet. The four mounted toms are 12X10, 13X12, 14X12, 15X13. It has an 18X15 Floor tom and a 24" bass drum. I definitely knew going in that I'd have to replace some hardware (this is not the only hardware issue), It's just apparent that he was overtightening for a reason. I mean, you don't tighten hardware with a wrench if it'll stay just fine with your hand. It's possible that these are just worn out mounts and that they held them fine at one point though. The toms are really heavy compared to others I've played. I just wondered if there was a way to mount big heavy toms without a rack (stands made to hold heavier drums), or if a rack would actually be easier.
    I like the square tube idea, that sounds interesting!