Thread: Ash Congas anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Ash Congas anyone?

I want to add a tumba conga, and then replace my current lower end conga/quinto with something warmer sounding. I currently have "siam oak" wood congas, and they are passable, but I would like something a bit warmer and better.

I figure I can set some cash aside each month and then buy them as I can.

I am seriously considering picking up some of the Ash Rhythm Traders drums Bobby Torres recommends in this video: http://www.ehow.com/video_4872326_co...m-reviews.html

They are located close to me, so I don't have to do the shipping thing. They are a bit spendy, but I am between them, Gon Bop Alex Acuna, and perhaps LP Galaxy. (Too bad I can't afford Volcanos!!)

Any thoughts? Are there other brands/lines I should be considering?
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ash Congas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I want to add a tumba conga, and then replace my current lower end conga/quinto with something warmer sounding.
    Have you considered a mule skin to help obtain a warmer sound?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Midgard, what congas are you currently playing on? I've found oak to be the warmest sounding wood, although I'm pretty certain that "siam oak" is not actually oak at all. You can't beat a vintage Gon Bops or Valje oak drum for warmth, however neither are easy to find. Skin has a lot to do with the sound, most stock skins are very thin and not the best quality which produces a high ringy sound. However I would not recomend spending a bunch of money on high quality skins for lower end drums, a good skin will run you minimum $50.

I'm personally not very big on the Ash drums, they sound ok, but the look is a turn off for me. I was however extremely impressed with the Alex Acuna's when I played them, very decent skins out of the box and the hardware is awesome. I prefer them over the galaxies, dunno about the rhythm traders though.

If its warmth you are looking for I suggest you search for vintage, warmth comes with age. You can pick up a nice 2 set of gon bops for less than $600. Valjes will be a bit more expensive and harder to find. Ebay and west coast craigslists will be your best bet if you go that route, lots of vintage congas in san francisco and LA.

User Info Menu

Siam Oak == Asian Oak == Thai Oak == parawood == Rubber Tree. Basically they harvest the rubber tree at the end of it's rubber production

It is extremely common for conga construction used in new congas such as: Gon Bop Tumbao Pro Series, LP Aspire/Matador, etc.

I do not know what kind of wood those major names used for vintage versions.

I am currently playing a Rhythm Trader Club Series (10" and 11"). I have had them now for about 5 or 6 years and they have been wonderful to learn on. A great drum for the price. But now that I am developing a more refined taste in what I like, I am wanting something a bit more warmer sounding.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Gon Bops and Valje used a North American Red Oak, probably a much different wood than the ruber tree. High end makers like Matt Smith, Timba, and Skin on Skin are probably your only source for North American Oak these days, but you are looking at close to $800 a drum there.

Merely upgrading to traditional sizes will help you get a sound closer to what you are looking for. Look for 11", 11 3/4", 12 1/2". Paired with a good thick skin you will get a much warmer sound than your current drums.

User Info Menu

I have both, Alex Acuna ash and Lp ash Galaxys and both are ringy. I have re skinned both with American cow and there is only a slight ring which is ok, they sound pretty sweet. Rhythm traders.... If you like them and plan on keeping them go for it, although Lp's, Gon Bops, Valje's, Meinls, Tocas do have better resale values. But if your buying the rhythm traders brand new, for the same price you may get a nice set of used Lp Matadors or Lp Classics which both are of professional quality. I regret selling my classics they sounded better than my Galaxys.
    L4C

User Info Menu

my vote is for american red oak and cow. I avoid siam oak and water buffalo skins. I play vintage Valje's circa '72. Flores' son (resolutiondrums.com) is making Valje type drums: red oak and cow skins. My bongos are LP aspires--siam oak. I reskinned them but they don't have much like compared to an old set of Gon Bops or Valje bongos. Anyway that is my two cents worth.