Thread: Ahead Drumstick Review

User Info Menu

Default Ahead Drumstick Review

Well after the previous weekends band practice, I deceided to try a set of Ahead sticks. This was mainly driven due the fact from breaking 4 Vic Firth Classic Rock sticks in a 2.5 hour period.

After playing with several different pairs at the local music store, I ended up going with the Lars Urlich series. They are a little smaller diameter than the Vic Firth Classic Rock, but have a better overall feel. The stick are very well balanced for being a multi part stick. There is the handle/core, a spacer, shaft cover, and finely the tip. I like the fact that the sticks have a variety of tip styles that can be used. Simplely screw the old one off and screw the new one on. For me, the tip that comes with the Lars series stick is a little too flat and long. I will be switching over to the round tip here shortly.

Like I said, the sticks are well balanced and match pitch very well. The stick actually weighs a lot more than the Vic Firth Classic rock. After about 1.5 hours, I could defiantely start to feel the weigh of the sticks. I got a very good work out for 2.5 hours this last weekend during practice. This is good thing

Overall I am very impressed and feel the $30 a pair is quite justified.

Keith

User Info Menu

Smile

I have a couple of pairs of these sticks & they are ok. I started using the Zildjian "anti vibe" sticks to help with my carpal tunnel problems. These things work & if you are having hand or wrist problems try them! Cost a few bucks more but they are working for me!

Dave H.

User Info Menu

I'm curious Dave. How do you notice the anti-vibe sticks working for you?

User Info Menu

I was using the Anti-vibe sticks when I had my electronic kit. The gum rubber heads are a killer on the wrists when you are playing a 4-5 hour gig. They really work. When I switched to an acoustic kit, I had to change sticks though because they just don't have the rebound that normal solid sticks do.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i want to get some cuz i break my stix a lot

like a lot
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

My hands don't go numb I I don't have real bad carpal tunnel pain. Those anti vibe sticks are about 4 bucks more but for me it is worth it. I haven't noticed any rebound problems but that is just me. I have a pretty tight batter head on my snare & that might be most of the problem but I also get good rebound out of it.

Dave H.
    Last edited by Dave H.; 01-08-2007 at 07:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Pair of the Ahead Joey Jordison sticks and they work great for me.They are perfect size,And I don't have any rebound problems.The best thing is all You have to do is replace the Sleeve.I have had my pair for over a year and a half and only replaced the sleeve once.They are well worth the money....