Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Kits?

User Info Menu

Default Starter Kits?

Ok I know some of you have probally seen that I post question after question, but I heard a lot about starter kits in my research on drumming (ok i am kind of a nerd i look up everything to a full extent before i try it) and i was wondering what are your opinions on starter kits, the ones that come with at ton of stuff and are decently priced?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starter Kits?

If your just "starting" they are the perfect kit for you.
    If your just banging around in the basements with your buddies they are the perfect kit for you.

User Info Menu

ok thanks for the advice

User Info Menu

A starter kit will definately get you going, You will probably want to upgrade a few of the pieces after you start to get a little proficient. The cymbals that come with these kits are pretty bad, and things like bass pedals and hi-hats aren't the greatest. Sometimes you can get a better quality used set for the same or a little more money. I would check out the used market in your area first, and if you don't find anything decent used, then look into a starter kit.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

ThePloughman Guest

Forget the starter kit.

Buy something DECENT............................. USED.

Spend the same amount of money, and you wont cry like a little girl two weeks later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Forget the starter kit.

Buy something DECENT............................. USED.

Spend the same amount of money, and you wont cry like a little girl two weeks later.
    +1

User Info Menu

I definitely agree with Ploughman. You're gonna want something decent. You don't want the quality of the kit to discourage you from practicing.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Captcork, I bought a starter kit when I started playing drums 2 years ago, because I wasn't sure I had "it," so I didn't want to invest too much in the kit. 2 months later I realized how big a mistake I made, and that I had some talent, so I bought a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. Fortunately, I have a son who might have an interest, so I am saving the starter kit for him.

I agree with Ploughman, and BTD. If you have the interest, buy a better quality used kit. You'll be better off in the long run.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

get a good pearl export and put on some new heads. you will be good to go.

User Info Menu

ok speaking of pearl and not buying a starter kits what brands do you guys suggest?

User Info Menu

i think it depends on the cash. i would get a pearl export. you should be able to find on ebay or craigs list. put some good heads on it and it will serve ya for years.

User Info Menu

Gretsch Catalina Maples!!!!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

ThePloughman Guest

What is your budget range?
    500?

User Info Menu

Better that you invest in lessons with a good Teacher: 1. Learn what it takes to play drums 2. Learn if this is something that you really want to do. 3. Learn from your Teacher about drums, what makes good drums good, what to stay away from. 4. Learn how to learn so that you can continue to develop. When you finally do get a starter drum kit, you will know what to do with it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

ok thatnks for the advice and i really dont totally know my price range because i am not allowed to get a set untill summer
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Remember that drumming is a journey, and not a destination, so be open to new things.

User Info Menu

Captcork, I bought a starter kit when I started playing drums 2 years ago, because I wasn't sure I had "it," so I didn't want to invest too much in the kit. 2 months later I realized how big a mistake I made, and that I had some talent, so I bought a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. Fortunately, I have a son who might have an interest, so I am saving the starter kit for him.

I agree with Ploughman, and BTD. If you have the interest, buy a better quality used kit. You'll be better off in the long run.
    Why did no one tell me this!? Yea it is good to go with quality. Used would probably be the way to go. Cause if you mess something up your not out a bunch of $$$. I think that's the main reason of starter kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captcork View Post
    ok speaking of pearl and not buying a starter kits what brands do you guys suggest?
    Well, If you look at my signiture you will see my Ludwig/Pennicals. I got those almost specificaly to practice on, but it turned into a set that can be tuned pretty well, and now I even started buying REAL DRUMHEADS for it! A set I expected to be "decent" turned out to be very good. Thats what I would shoot for.
    I like heaveh mehtal.

User Info Menu

Mapex Meridian is the best drum set you can get for the money. I believe it won the MIPA award for best drum set, and at $850 or so for a 6-piece maple shell pack, you can't go wrong. For even cheaper you can get Pro M or M Birch which are just as good but they're discontinued so they're cheaper.

Also, you can get a Gretsch Renown maple shell pack 22/10/12/14 ft w/ no snare for $1,000 if you look on drumsonsale.com. Just find a Black Panther on ebay and you're set.
    Matt

User Info Menu

The Meridian is a bit much for a starter kit...
    Go with a QR if you buy Mapex. They're solid as hell and sound great. Tama makes a great drum kit too.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    The Meridian is a bit much for a starter kit...
    Go with a QR if you buy Mapex. They're solid as hell and sound great. Tama makes a great drum kit too.
    Yes but he didn't specify what his budget was.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I know, but the Meridian still isn't a starter kit. It's Mapex's midrange, and it can roll with some top end kits. It may be within his price range, I just wanted to let him know it wasn't an entry level kit.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Hey man, don't look any further than a Pearl Forum (Export) series. I bought one new about a month ago and its great, just put some new heads on.

You can get the 5-piece shell pack for under $400 new, fusion or standard.

Then get yourself some cymbals. I would reccomend the Zildjian ZBT or Sabian B8 4-packs.

Hardware- get Sound Percussion (SP) hardware, cheap and sturdy.
    1. Boom-$40
    2. Straight-$35
    3. Ratchet-$28

Pedal- Depends on what you play, but the best double pedal for the $ in my opinion is the pearl P122 Double Pedal($170).

User Info Menu

Hold on, lemme fix this for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Hey man, don't look any further than...
    ... every kit you can get your hands on and then decide which one you like more for yourself.

User Info Menu

ok thank you for all the advice and my price range will probably be anywhere from $500-$1000
    Remember that drumming is a journey, and not a destination, so be open to new things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Hey man, don't look any further than a Pearl Forum (Export) series. I bought one new about a month ago and its great, just put some new heads on.
    You can get the 5-piece shell pack for under $400 new, fusion or standard.
    I looked around searching for this and either found the wrong thing or the price range is wrong do you have a link that you could PM to me?