Thread: Double Bass

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass

Hey all, I have a question regarding double bass.

I've been practicing double bass a lot more in the past couple months or so than when I first got the pedal back at Christmas time. I've noticed that some weeks my double bass is near perfect, and yet others it's not very good at all.

My question is, is there any obvious reason for the inconsistency? Have any of you experienced this before? And if so, what should I do to fix it?

Note that this is NOT an overall slump, as all the other aspects of my drumming are fine (and improving!).

Thanks for any help in advance!
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Bass

it probably just depends on your energy level dude, i know sometimes when i am performing live, if i dont eat or dont get enough water, it can affect my performance all together. either that, or you need to oil those pedals with some 3-in-1 or some WD-40 or something along those lines.

it might also be that you are developing new muscles in your legs that you have never exercised before, and the muscles may be tight at times.

there might be many reasons, but dont worry brotha- youll get it! just keep practicing and you will have the consistency that you are seeking.

User Info Menu

I agree with Damage. Things like intense double bass are more than just a skill and coordination. Just keep practicing. Eventually you'll build the strength and endurance you need to not be as affected by small details that throw you off right now.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

oh yeah and eat plenty of pan cakes! 10,000 of them acctually, then do some push ups!

User Info Menu

Hi-just to add onto what has been mentioned, stretch before drumming. Might seem insignifigant but trust me, for me it makes a world of diference, i am not tense when i play. Also for me, it depends on when i practice/ play. Sunday mornings are alot easier to play at church than practice on a monday evening after a long day of work. Taking my own advise, but just practice.

User Info Menu

It may sound silly, but what are you sitting on?

There are guys that will use an old chair instead of a drum throne and the shape of the seat may get in the way of your leg movement.

If you have a round throne, sit on the edge of it for the same reason. The bicycle seat style are probably better for leg movement, but I'm only guessing that.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tctdrum View Post
    Hi-just to add onto what has been mentioned, stretch before drumming. Might seem insignifigant but trust me, for me it makes a world of diference, i am not tense when i play. Also for me, it depends on when i practice/ play. Sunday mornings are alot easier to play at church than practice on a monday evening after a long day of work. Taking my own advise, but just practice.
    AGREED! I was actually going to type that myself, i stretch before everyshow. Warming up is always a great thing to do with anything physical, basketball, singing, golf, etc. stretching gets more oxygen into your muscles and loosens them up. Hope that helps! Also, try and be patient bro, it will come, i'm working on the heel toe technique right now and my left foot refuses to listen to me, we're going to counceling for it right now. I just don't feel like he cares!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    It may sound silly, but what are you sitting on?
    Nah man it doesn't sound silly, I could understand how that could affect it. Anyhow, I am using a bicycle seat style throne. I think it's a pretty good throne, I don't know the name of it or anything but it's quite comfortable and doesn't obstruct my leg movement, so I don't think that's the issue. I think, like other people said, that I just need to stick with it and be patient, which I can do. I will also try stretching before I play. Thanks all once again! Drum Chat always proves very helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    If you have a round throne, sit on the edge of it for the same reason. The bicycle seat style are probably better for leg movement, but I'm only guessing that.
    agreed +1, a.k.a. the ol' tractor seat. this may help you out quite a bit, CD is correct, it does allow for better leg movement.

User Info Menu

mine must be too low, the problem i have is my legs feel heavy after a few left right left right beats and i burn out way too fast. im thinking of actually ripping the seat off an actual bicycle and posting it onto my pdp one
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments