Thread: internal microphone for kick drum.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Question internal microphone for kick drum.

Yeah DamageDrummer does not own his own mic for the kick (some rockstar huh?). The only reason why is because someone always supplies one for me, but it is usually just a regular, plain ol' mic on a stand, which does work fine, but I want something that acctually is meant for drums, and looks clean.

At the most popular club out here in Sacramento (the boardwalk), the sound technician uses a specific kick drum microphone that he puts inside of my kick and attaches it to a Velcro strip that I put into the bottom of the drum for this specific club. I absolutely love this mic! but I have no idea what its called. I have tried searching through the musicians friend website but I cant seem to find the one that he uses, much less too many internal mics.

It seems like the internal mic is not that popular, being as I cant find too many of them anywhere. I have never used an electric device of any kind for music, so I have a couple of electro newbie questions:

Questions: How many people here actually use internal microphones? Any metal drummers? Does it make a difference that I do not use a pillow or pad for muffling (only a batter head ring)? Will this mic be compatible with any P.A. system in future clubs that we play in? And does it matter that my kick is 23 1/2" long, and it can be ringy if its tuned too high, will this cause feedback?

thanks in advance for all replys- sorry so much text: i am a newbie to the sparky world, but its time to start.

User Info Menu

Default Re: internal microphone for kick drum.

1 more thing, i am not willing to drill/cut/or modify the drum to mount the microphone- the kick has already been modified to the fullest extent, any more holes will cause the sound to change drastically. thanks!

User Info Menu

I have an internal D112 in one of my kick drums. The soundmen love it. They just plug it in to the side of my bass drum and go. It's the old May internal mount system. You don't want that one because you'd have to drill.

User Info Menu

Sounds lilke the mic you are looking for is a Shure Beta 91. It is a kick mic that is flat and attaches with velcro to a muffling pillow etc. inside the bass drum. Google it and see if that looks like the one you are refering to. It is a nice mic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Sounds lilke the mic you are looking for is a Shure Beta 91. It is a kick mic that is flat and attaches with velcro to a muffling pillow etc. inside the bass drum. Google it and see if that looks like the one you are refering to. It is a nice mic!
    yeah that sounds like the one! ill look it up. have you ever used that specific mic?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    yeah that sounds like the one! ill look it up. have you ever used that specific mic?
    Yeah, i've played a few venues that have that mic, it's not bad at all. put theres no sense in mounting it in your kick though, because it just rests on a dampening pad. Also I have a Neil Peart video, i can't remember what it's called now. But he had a drum mic mounted in as well, he said he liked it because that way he didn't need to use a port on his resonant head... Interesting subject though Damage, you have me considering it too now ha ha!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I ALWAYS mount a mic in my kick drums. I use MAY mounts. Sometimes a D112, sometimes an ATM25. Our regular sound tech prefers the ATM25 mounted fairly close to the batter.

Regarding muffling: any ring translates to hum in the PA. The deader, the better. (this applies to the head that's mic'ed)

These pics were to show off the wood/finish, but you can sorta see the mic and the vent-hole jack. The shell is not modified in any way.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Cool pictures!

User Info Menu

very cool pictures indeed dude, that might be something id be interested in, except i drilled my sound holes at 9/16" does that mic require a specific sized breather hole??? again it would affect my sound because the perfect vibration i have created will be obstructed. thats the only reason i said i am not willing to modify in any way.

by the way dude, that finish is awesome!

i do love the mic setup, and it would be perfect for what i am trying to do, im just wondering about the breather hole size.

User Info Menu

The MAY vent-hole adaptors fit though any standard vent hole. 9/16" would be plenty big enough.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

i just know that every time i use it, i have killer sound. im not sure if its because of the mic or the p.a. system, but it always works very good and it looks clean!

i am going to be playing that specific club on saturday night, i will ask ol' claud what exactly it is. i know its totally flat and attaches to the bottom of the kick drum. he used to use tape to keep it in place, but i put a strip of velcro down there so it can just attach right on.

hey and thank you for all the responses! i knew that someone would know about these!