Thread: Maple vs Ash Drums

User Info Menu

Default Maple vs Ash Drums

I'm strongly considering getting a new kit soon and I was just wondering what the differences are between Maple and Ash kits. From what I understand Ash is used in louder, more aggressive playing styles whereas maple is more of a warm wood and used in a wider variety of styles. I could be way off, but I'd just like some help here fellas.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Maple vs Ash

SS, that is a good characterization of the difference between Ash shells and Maple shells. The Ash sound will be a bit brighter than the Maple. The thing about ash is that the sound can vary from one ash shell to another if it's entirely ash. If I was considering an ash kit, I don't think I would even think about buying without playing it first.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ash has a much nicer looking grain than maple. The closest analog to ash would be beech. In many ways, both ash and beech are a combination of maple + birch.

The finest (pure) ash kit you will get is the GMS white ash (Keller North American shells)

The rare tamburo is very good:

In the middle, is ddrum dominion ash. Although, I heard they were Keller shells. Solid product!

and for the money, Gretsch Catalina ash is a total winner. Beautiful coral blue.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 04-29-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

Damo Guest

The difference is predominantly in the spelling of the two woods...

User Info Menu

I would definitely try out kits with both woods before making your decision on which to buy. There is a reason why maple kits outsell ash by a huge margin. But what's most important is what sounds good to you.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I would definitely try out kits with both woods before making your decision on which to buy. There is a reason why maple kits outsell ash by a huge margin. But what's most important is what sounds good to you.
    And that reason is that about 4 companies produce ash, and it's a recent product in small distribution.

That's like saying there is a reason maple outsells beech, even though anyone that owned a sonor or yamaha beech can vouch for how good they sound. Equal to maple, and much nicer looking grain.

Damo Guest

There is a reason why maple kits outsell ash by a huge margin.
    There are many reasons in fact, but sound doesnt rank highly as one of them.

User Info Menu

are the ash kits typically more expensive? i guess i have never really looked into them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    The difference is predominantly in the spelling of the two woods...
    haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jydg21 View Post
    are the ash kits typically more expensive? i guess i have never really looked into them
    Nope, less. it costs about 1/3 less than maple.

User Info Menu

I have spent alittle time playing on a Gretsch Catalina ash kit that was set up at a drum shop my buddy manages and I was very impressed!

Just powerful and loud with plenty of high frequency attack and a flat mix of mids and lows. Great sounding drums! Sort of Birch like but with more in the midrange and did I mention...LOUD!?

I continue to be thoroughly impressed with Gretsch's Asian made Renown & Catalina series!
    This only goes to solidify the fact that their USA Custom kits are among, if not THE best drums on the planet (IMO)

*sorry, I know this thread is not about Gretsch in general..but it's my only experience with ash drums.

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 05-03-2009 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks for your help everyone.

AL LOY,
    i was actually looking into the ddrum dominion kit you posted, from what i read its a good product for what its worth. I may take a look at the AMX dominions and see what i can find out about those.

again, thanks everyone.

User Info Menu

Smiling Swine,
    I play a ddrum AMX kit and don't have any complaints, especially considering the price paid AMX gives the look of Ash (outer ply) but has Maple shells.

I have some youtube videos of the kit:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU1wMhnUcZg"]YouTube - DDrums Always With You[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOlmlwjq-XU"]YouTube - DDrum AMX Recording SynthTune[/ame]

Make sure you click the "HQ" button in youtube to hear them in better definition.

User Info Menu

I've said one, and I'll say it again, we all have our input, i have maple and i love it, but it doesn't matter dude, play both and see what sounds better to you!! What ever YOU like, buy bro!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

Damo Guest

To be completely blunt about it, I believe it makes so LITTLE difference to the sound that if I posted audio clips of Maple, Ash and Birch side by side (which we never do as drummers in the real world), NOBODY here could tell me with any certainty which is which.

That insignificant difference is then further hidden once the kit is micd and EQ'd through a PA.

The best thing to do is play the kits and buy the one that FEELS best to you. Sound can be altered a million ways from Sunday.