Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail of Drum Tips

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holy Grail of Drum Tips

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    NR, I'm not sure I can take that advice . . . now if I could meet you in person, I'm sure that it would be great advice!
    It would be an honor sir.

User Info Menu

For me as well N.R., for me as well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My tip: When practicing, if there's a fill, or groove, or hand-foot interdependence thing that you are having a hard time learning: Slow the tempo to the point at which you can play it accurately. This may be painfully slow, and sound weird. Do not play it incorrectly over and over trying to get it. You have to teach your muscles to follow what your brain is hearing. You are creating neural pathways between the brain and the body. Practice it for a bit, and then move on, come back to it in a while and try again. Playing it with the tempo only as quickly as you can be totally accurate. Then, get sleep. After a good nights rest, try again. You will find that when your body is at rest, your mind can help create those neural pathways and enable you to play things you only attempted a day or two earlier. This is a beautiful part of being human, rhythm is an innate part of your being, and we are hard-wired for it. This is why a good beat can get toes tapping and bodies dancing.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

^^^ nice post

My tip is something I've done in the past a few times but didn't last night. If transporting your HH stand unbagged or uncased take the clutch, felts and washer off and put em in your pocket or somewhere else safe.

Somehow the wing screw that secures the clutch to the rod decided to unscrew itself at some point between the band room and the gig last night. After a little bit of freak out I spotted it under the fold down back seat. There were a million and one places for this screw to land but it went right to the frame part of the seat. When I tried to pull it out it slipped down even further to a totally unreachable spot!. The only way to get to it now is to remove the seat frame.

The solution was using a memory lock screw and luckily it was the same size. It started slipping halfway though the set. At one point the hats got to be 5" apart sorry for the long post.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

learn to count out beats before you play them

practice rudiments with your feet

User Info Menu

A post earlier offered tips on repairing dents in the drumhead. Good advice, but there is an even better approach:

Don't dent your heads in the first place.

Many years ago another drummer scolded me for putting dents in my tom heads. He said I was denting them because I was playing them at the wrong angle. He was right. That must have been thirty years ago, and I can honestly say that I haven't replaced a head because of denting since. (And, yes, I play VERY hard when needed.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Also a tip for preserving drum heads - keep a very fine grit sheet of sandpaper close by. Like 200 grit. When the tips get chipped and have sharp edges, sand them smooth and keep playing. Works for nylon or wood tips.

Tex

User Info Menu

What I try and do is listen to the song or music and get a sense of the original songs drum feel. Once I get the what I think is the correct feel for the song, I can play off that feel, my drum voice while maintaining a solid beat with a little of my creativity.

User Info Menu

My tips
    1. Don't play when you practice. When you sit down at the kit, know what you are going to work on, and work on it. Warm up, do the exercises, work through the new song, whatever needs to be done. Thats practice.
    2. Once you've put the work in, THEN have some fun shredding round the kit, rolling out that pocket groove you love, getting the toms thundering and singing....thats playing!! If you waste all your practice time playing stuff you can already competently play, you won't improve much.
    3. A a metronome is your very best friend in the whole wide world. Use it all the time, its subconciously teaches you to have an internal clock. If you can't hear it over the drums, you are on the beat (or its not switched on). Learn to play ahead, on and behind the click.
    4. Own the progress you have made, you did that, you practiced, you learned it, you earned it. Be proud!!
    5. HAVE FUN!!!!!! Love drums, love drumming, love drummers....& don't trust anything a guitarist tells you about time signatures

prob another thousand or more tips, but that'll do for the mo!!
    Last edited by mauned; 03-25-2015 at 07:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't currently remember who told me this, but one tip that helped my playing is to learn to play starting with your weak hand. As someone who had been playing drums for a few years with no lessons I never really thought to start fills or whatever with my left hand, but I started practicing everything with both hands to the point where my left hand isn't really my weak hand anymore.

User Info Menu

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say I love love love this thread.
    So much good advice here!

Here are a few of mine (and yes some/all of these have already been mentioned here):

• when learning a new lick or fill, SLOW IT DOWN first. Learn to play it perfectly at a comfortable speed then gradually speed it up. Trust me on this one
    • Playing a lick tight and in time will sound 10x faster than trying to play a lick fast and sloppy. Slow it down (related to the first point).
    • learn to play at different tempos. Too often we get stuck into one tempo, and suddenly playing much slower or a moderate tempo instead of fast can throw you huge.
    • Play to the song--don't overplay (I'm guilty of this at times--working on it!)
    • Practice playing dynamically whenever you sit at the kit. Dynamics are so often forgotten by young drummers, but they are so so so important! And not even just overall dynamics! Practice different volumes of different pieces of the kit at different times (i.e. the volume of the hi-hat, or the volume of ghost notes).
    • Don't drink much before playing! I might feel sober at a party after 4 or 5 beers, but more than 2 beers before playing drums and I FEEL it. Not in a good way
    • Be humble. There will ALWAYS be someone better than you--but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep working towards being the best you can!
    • Take criticism well. If a bandmate / another drummer critiques you, try to learn from it. Don't get hurt by it, look at it as an opportunity to identify weaknesses and eliminate them.
    • Play with confidence! I forget who told me this/where I heard it, but it definitely was a total change in how I played when jamming with people/playing out. If you play without confidence, it definitely comes across in your playing. When you're playing out, play with confidence even if it's fake! Even an error or two played confidently will sound far better than timid playing.

That's all I can think of for now. And most importantly--have fun!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441 View Post
    one of your most important jobs is to make people dance.
    that's what it's about !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441 View Post
    one of your most important jobs is to make people dance.
    +1 - people listen to the guitar but dance to the drums

User Info Menu

Learn how to run sound. Every aspect of both live sound and recording will improve your perception of your own sound and help to better achieve it. After that your sound will never again be completely in someone else's hands.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

for those among us that play in a band: learn to play the bass and understand the bassist's issues

User Info Menu

I’m new to drums and this thread has been very helpful. Funny, as a bass player, so many of these tips are repeated on those forums!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber5oul View Post
    I’m new to drums and this thread has been very helpful. Funny, as a bass player, so many of these tips are repeated on those forums!
    Yeah, this thread is an oldie but a goodie. A lot of helpful tips in here. Drum Bum has a another site that's chock full of them if you want to check it out sometime. Aptly named, DrumTips.com.

Welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

Great, I’ll check that out too.

User Info Menu

I just have three things. 1. practice until I can play what I want to play 2. listen to good drummers and take what I like. 3. Play

User Info Menu

This is a Good place for this I guess. BTW I really dig this whole thread.
    drummm.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holy Grail of Drum Tips (for noobs)

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    Here's my tip, from my Tinnitus thread.

#1, protect your ears, trust me on this. Unless of course you enjoy the sound of a high pitched ring in your ears 24/7. I was one of those, it wont happen to me guys, well, it happened to me. I have to sleep with the tv on just to distract me from concentrating on the ringing.
    Tinnitus will take away your freedom to enjoy playing drums.

User Info Menu

Things to do considering tinnitus. Don't use a moniter. Use ear plugs (good ones) when you practice and even play live if the sound is going to be surrounding you. If the sound is directed out and away from you then you can probably get by ok. Meditate/self-hypnosis (with the goal of reducing the sound). Also, check out different herbs that can help like "ginko", "peppermint", "marjoram", etc. Take control. You have more ability to control what happens to your body than you know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    Sorry for the double post but,
    Remember that rudiments can be played with the feet as well as the hands.
    Yeah but i do sub my left hand for my rightleg and its pretty good
    :drums

User Info Menu

If you want to get good a substitutuing your right hand with your right foot (or left for left if you're left handed) then do the exercises in "Stick Control" with your right foot playing the right hand part. You can play the cymbal in eigth or quarter notes (or any othe variation). That should get up to Tony Williams speed soon enough if you diligently practice --- a lot.