Thread: Samson Mics?

User Info Menu

Default Samson Mics?

hey i was reading somewhere and i came across samson mics and wondered if they were good? i heard they were a cheap way to get into live sound so i wondered if anyone knows anything
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Samson Mics?

can't speak to their reg mics, but their mixers are ok and I have used one of their wireless lavalier mics and it was as good as our shure
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I have a set of samsons. They work fine for me. I play a birch set of pearls. The kick mike sounds better a few inches in front of the reso head rather than inside the drum but thats just my opinion. For the money they're hard to beat!

User Info Menu

They are fine, but remember with mics you get what you pay for. The frequency ranges are ok however not a fan of the kick mic. The Audix D6 IMHO is sonically more pleasing to me. If I remember correctly the Audix fusion mic set is similar in price and performs quite well for the price, but you really can't go wrong with Samson for what it sounds like you are using them for.

User Info Menu

samsons for home recording and demos are fine
    you will notice the difference between samsons and brands like Shure, Sennheiser, AKG etc when you compare on studio monitors.
    The main difference is frequency range at the top and bottom end. Hence on a pro monitor you will notice the Samsons have less crispness and punch. For drum mics I think this is important and I don't think any single manufacturer makes the best drum mics for the whole kit.
    I posted a new topic where I explain in my opinion the best drum mic set up involves a combination of Shure, AKG, Rode and Beyer products.
    For live mics it is really important that the mic is resistant to feedback - Samsons aren't.
    At my work we use Senheisser lapel mics and sometimes clients bring in Samson lapel mics of their own - they get the job done but are really inferior to the Sennheisers in sound, looks and functionality
    Last edited by brutal juice; 08-07-2009 at 01:53 AM.