Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Masters MCX vs Vision VMX?

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Masters MCX vs Vision VMX?

I am stuck between these 2 drum sets. Without getting into prices, what is everyone's opinion and please go into detail as to why you would choose one over the other. I haven't had a chance to hear the vision vmx. But a local shop has the master mcx and i love the way they sound. Yes I am still a beginner but I have been leaning towards a set made with maple instead of birch. That is why I am looking at higher priced sets, I just enjoy the sound of maple drums more.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Masters MCX vs Vision VMX?

The MCX may have fancier finishes and some other cosmetics, but when you have an identical shell (VMX vs MCX) you can achieve an identical sound.

This goes back to the discontinued pearl lines that used the masters shell, but less expensive hardware.

If you are talking about a purely functional bases, I could get the same sound from a 7.5mm maple VMX that I could from a 7.5mm maple MCX.

In this economy, I go for function over form, not that the VMX are that shabby. The MCX has more sizes and "virgin" kick option which is overrated.

Personally, this is a great finish, maybe not quite as elaborate as the masters, but it looks pro:

This drum has all I need, to sound and look pro, I don't need to spend 3x as much for the same sound.
    I don't care if the kick has a tom mount on it. *I* have no problem making the kick sound great.

This is all the pearl kit I need:
    Pearl VMX926FPC266 VMX Vision Maple 6-Piece Shell Pack
    ntroducing the all-new Vision Maple VMX, Pearl's most affordable 100% Maple shell pack. Maple, known for its warm, rich tone, has long been the choice wood of professional drummers worldwide. Pearl offers 9 standard Vision Maple configurations, more than any other drum manufacturer. Vision Maple shell packs come standard with professional Two Ply heads and a matching 100% Maple snare drum. These incredible sounding drums are offered in 5 exclusive High-Gloss Lacquer Finishes. Features also include the I.S.S. Tom Mounting System, 1000 Series Uni-Lock Tom Holders, Masters Spurs & Floor Tom Legs, Recessed BD Claws with Rubber Lining, Bridge Lugs with Rubber Gaskets, Wood Bass Drum Hoops, and Perimeter EQ Bass Drum Heads.

This 6-piece shell pack includes 22"x18" Bass Drum, 10"x8" & 12"x9" Toms, 14"x14" & 16"x16" Floor Toms, 14"x5.5 Snare Drum, and 2 Tom Holders.

And it's $1,200 NOT $4,200.

You have to ask: what is the kit for? Is it worth 3x the price for some extra conveniences and an expensive finish that could get ruined on a gig?

The only thing I'd change is the snare. I don't like "Intermediate" snares. I'd get the Chad Smith snare or a Ludwig supraphonic.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-01-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

AL LOY nailed it. Couldn't of said it any better . I love transparent red finishes as well, btw.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I agree with everything ALLOy said, the Vision is a great set for the money hands down.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

mcx are a bit heavier due to die cast, which actually cuts down the resonance a bit. but they look and sound good. if your travelling with it, you might not wanna carry heavy drums though. id get the smx, the series vision succeeded, because now that they are discontinued, their costs are way down, and your getting the same thing, but the finishes are awesome
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    mcx are a bit heavier due to die cast, which actually cuts down the resonance a bit. but they look and sound good. if your travelling with it, you might not wanna carry heavy drums though. id get the smx, the series vision succeeded, because now that they are discontinued, their costs are way down, and your getting the same thing, but the finishes are awesome
    The SMX was the discontinued line I was trying to remember!

I like the heavier shells. 7.5/8mm are actually "medium" thick. They are superb for projection, better than 5-6mm shells. This was proven years ago, in 1979 when Rogers drums went to thicker 8-ply xp-8 maple shells. The SMX are fine drums though, I liked green burst.

I dislike die cast hoops entirely. They choke the drums resonance. If I didn't use 2.3mm hoops on my DIY kit, I'd opt for wood hoops. Those open up the sound significantly.

I don't want anyone to view die cast hoops as an "upgrade" because they are just a different manner of damping the drum, via weight. The ironic part is, some of the same folks that don't like a tom mount on a kick because it "damps the kick" like die cast hoops which damp toms even worse than a tom mount does to a kick. By that logic, a tom mount "focuses" a kick drum.

Really though, dating back to rogers, which had tom mounts and big spurs that entered the drum shell, the kicks still sounded incredibly powerful.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-02-2009 at 12:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AL LOY View Post
    The MCX may have fancier finishes and some other cosmetics, but when you have an identical shell (VMX vs MCX) you can achieve an identical sound.

This goes back to the discontinued pearl lines that used the masters shell, but less expensive hardware.

If you are talking about a purely functional bases, I could get the same sound from a 7.5mm maple VMX that I could from a 7.5mm maple MCX.

In this economy, I go for function over form, not that the VMX are that shabby. The MCX has more sizes and "virgin" kick option which is overrated.

Personally, this is a great finish, maybe not quite as elaborate as the masters, but it looks pro:

This drum has all I need, to sound and look pro, I don't need to spend 3x as much for the same sound.
    I don't care if the kick has a tom mount on it. *I* have no problem making the kick sound great.

This is all the pearl kit I need:
    Pearl VMX926FPC266 VMX Vision Maple 6-Piece Shell Pack
    ntroducing the all-new Vision Maple VMX, Pearl's most affordable 100% Maple shell pack. Maple, known for its warm, rich tone, has long been the choice wood of professional drummers worldwide. Pearl offers 9 standard Vision Maple configurations, more than any other drum manufacturer. Vision Maple shell packs come standard with professional Two Ply heads and a matching 100% Maple snare drum. These incredible sounding drums are offered in 5 exclusive High-Gloss Lacquer Finishes. Features also include the I.S.S. Tom Mounting System, 1000 Series Uni-Lock Tom Holders, Masters Spurs & Floor Tom Legs, Recessed BD Claws with Rubber Lining, Bridge Lugs with Rubber Gaskets, Wood Bass Drum Hoops, and Perimeter EQ Bass Drum Heads.

This 6-piece shell pack includes 22"x18" Bass Drum, 10"x8" & 12"x9" Toms, 14"x14" & 16"x16" Floor Toms, 14"x5.5 Snare Drum, and 2 Tom Holders.

And it's $1,200 NOT $4,200.

You have to ask: what is the kit for? Is it worth 3x the price for some extra conveniences and an expensive finish that could get ruined on a gig?

The only thing I'd change is the snare. I don't like "Intermediate" snares. I'd get the Chad Smith snare or a Ludwig supraphonic.
    *The Masters shell is made from a higher grade maple than the VMX. The VMX shells are the same as the now disco'd Session maples. the other differences lie in the shell layup. While both are made from the same HCSM (Heat compression shell molding) process, the number of plies and thickness of them is different between the MCX and the VMX. It doesn't end there kids..oh heck no! The entire vision series is based on a 6/8 formula where in the toms up to and including the 14 rack are 6 ply (6.5mm?) and the floor toms and kicks are 8 ply 10mm. Kinda borrowed ideology from the awesome Reference series. Pearl packs alot of great features into the Vision series of drums. The only thing left to upgrade are the ISS mounting systems and up'ing the stock 1.6mm tri flange hoops to 2.3mm units. Still not convinced?? there are Pearl endorsers on TOUR with Visions kits as we speak!
    *The VMX is also available with a virgin kick option.

My money is definitely with the VMX.

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    *The VMX is also available with a virgin kick option.

My money is definitely with the VMX.
    -Les
    I didn't even read that part! That's great flexibility! It's nice that intermediate lines are given so many high end options.

The bottom lines are quality, and sound. I already knew putting mics up to a poplar export kit meant you could get pro sound. But these are much better. Makes you really ask yourself if you really need to chunk 3-4 grand into a shellpack...ever.

Incidentally, an SMX owner last year swore to me that his SMX were identical shells to masters. Now it appears that they use Asian maple (the lower grade with looser grain) vs North American maple. Nonetheless, the manufacturing process is high caliber. But the VMX is a better kit.

I was in GC and some kid was agonizing over birch vs maple, and high end vs pro etc. He seemed to be convinced (and in the mode of convincing himself further) that he had to get a pro kit for "the" sound. A local pro drummer starts rockin a catalina maple and it erased all doubt. You just don't need to break the bank for a great sounding kit. The VMX sounds pro as is.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-02-2009 at 08:10 AM.

User Info Menu

I didn't even read that part! That's great flexibility! It's nice that intermediate lines are given so many high end options.

The bottom lines are quality, and sound. I already knew putting mics up to a poplar export kit meant you could get pro sound. But these are much better. Makes you really ask yourself if you really need to chunk 3-4 grand into a shellpack...ever.

I was in GC and some kid was agonizing over birch vs maple, and high end vs pro etc. He seemed to be convinced (and in the mode of convincing himself further) that he had to get a pro kit for "the" sound. A local pro drummer starts rockin a catalina maple and it erased all doubt. You just don't need to break the bank for a great sounding kit.
    I am from that school of thinking as well! my screen name says it all!
    June or July and I will be getting another Catalina Maple!

-Les

User Info Menu

Default Not Trying To Change Subjects

On the subject of rims...diecast, wood and what not. Have you(AL) ever swapped to these types of rims before? I have many times for not just my kit but others as well( I drum tech for most local big guns). This includes all wood hoop setups, upgrades to 2.3's, to die cast aluminum, to diecast nickel, and even to carbon fiber composites'. I am very familiar with how they effect many different styles of drums. Some of your statements contradict my experiences. Wood hoops make drums sound much more focused and warm, I've never heard the term "opens up" used to describe this. The sound changes because of the sound the rim produces itself, and the rims ability to absorb overtones. Metal hoops are bright and ringy, they actually produce these sounds, and, they do not absorb but actually reflect overtones making the drum have those same sound characteristics. Wood hoops are dull when struck and produce a crack/thud, and actually absorb overtones, so when put on drums, they reduce the bright or "open" sound of the drum and make the sound it produces much warmer. Die cast hoops absorb overtones better and create less of them than standard metal. Weight is not a factor for the rim beyond the point of no tension. Once the rim is doing it's job it's a matter of tension. Carbon Fiber composites have properties similar to the wood ones. Not saying this isn't already known, it just has to be clearly understood. Try playing with different conifurations and you'll really nail your sound. Oh and I agree with your statements in regards to kicks. None of mine are virgins and all of them get compliments, often.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

If you don't want to spend the money on an MCX or MMP I would try to find a used SMX. With the SMX you get the best of both worlds between the Visions and the Masters. You will get the Optimount system which I like a lot more than the ISS. You won't get diecast hoops but that is something you can always upgrade yourself later. Although, I remember seeing a 7 piece MCX kit BRAND NEW on line for $2400.00!!!!!!!!!!! 14X6.5, 22X18, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16. Can't beat that deal for a new set of Masters drums. The only thing about buying an MCX is the limited finish options.

Also the way that Pearl finishes the laquer shells below the masters line is different. I have noticed on my SMX and many people's visions that if you look closely and in the light you can see a very slight ripple effect in the laquer finish. The masters line is finished by hand so it's completely smooth with zero flaws.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not Trying To Change Subjects

Quote Originally Posted by ocddrummer View Post
    On the subject of rims...diecast, wood and what not. Have you(AL) ever swapped to these types of rims before? I have many times for not just my kit but others as well( I drum tech for most local big guns). This includes all wood hoop setups, upgrades to 2.3's, to die cast aluminum, to diecast nickel, and even to carbon fiber composites'. I am very familiar with how they effect many different styles of drums. Some of your statements contradict my experiences. Wood hoops make drums sound much more focused and warm, I've never heard the term "opens up" used to describe this. The sound changes because of the sound the rim produces itself, and the rims ability to absorb overtones. Metal hoops are bright and ringy, they actually produce these sounds, and, they do not absorb but actually reflect overtones making the drum have those same sound characteristics. Wood hoops are dull when struck and produce a crack/thud, and actually absorb overtones, so when put on drums, they reduce the bright or "open" sound of the drum and make the sound it produces much warmer. Die cast hoops absorb overtones better and create less of them than standard metal. Weight is not a factor for the rim beyond the point of no tension. Once the rim is doing it's job it's a matter of tension. Carbon Fiber composites have properties similar to the wood ones. Not saying this isn't already known, it just has to be clearly understood. Try playing with different conifurations and you'll really nail your sound. Oh and I agree with your statements in regards to kicks. None of mine are virgins and all of them get compliments, often.
    Yep. I built snares/drums and have swapped die cast (steel) to 2.3mm, stick savr, s-hoops, and yamaha style maple hoops. The maple resonated with the drum at similar frequencies. The snare in question simply sounded bigger with these rims. Not to mention the beautiful "THOCK!" rim hit. The snares had a much more homgenous wood, and yes, open sound.

zinc and aluminum die cast are made by yamaha, and are used on masters and a line of oak. They are much less damping than steel by virtue of less weight (they weigh a fraction of steel).

I had a full carbon fiber kit, and it was similar hardness to maple (about 1460 janka) and sounded like maple except maybe drier and darker. CF has no overtones, neither does acrylic, aluminum or fiberglass. Sonor uses acrylic hoops on it's x-ray acrylic kick drum. It is a pronounced difference compared to the standard wood or metal hoops.

Metal itself doen't absorb sound, it conducts it, very effectively. The weight and pressure of a metal hoop clamps the motion of a shell and chokes the wood shell overtones out, much like holding the shell in your hands. This is perceived as "focus." Re-rings inside a shell have a similar effect. They damp the ends of the drum. Cast metal hoops definately ring like a bell when stuck alone.

User Info Menu

Here are my two kits just to give you some personal experience.

My Pearl SMX has many features of the Masters at about half the cost. And you get a great gigging kit with maple shells and a laquer finish at an affordable rate. I used these to record my band's last CD.

And you had mentioned DW. A little more pricey, but if you consider the Collector's Series with a finish ply wrap, you get a great sounding high end maple kit with a durable finish that is great for gigging.

Just my two cents from kits that I own. And just throwing this out there, but the sound difference between these two are night and day...DW ftw.

Good luck with your choice.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

the things that seperate the 2 are features...lug screws and inserts, wood grain and laquor quality, hoops, mounts..ect. while you can achieve the same great maple sound out of either, you will notice the quality dif. after a couple years of solid playing, gigging and constant setup/teardowns.

User Info Menu

I am very surprised that none of the MCX owners have been on here yet. They seem to really like the MCX series

User Info Menu

I am loving the comments. I really appreciate all the info. I am still on the fence between the two. The price difference between the two kits I am looking at is around $500. But the mcx does not come with a snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Here are my two kits just to give you some personal experience.

My Pearl SMX has many features of the Masters at about half the cost. And you get a great gigging kit with maple shells and a laquer finish at an affordable rate. I used these to record my band's last CD.

That's a great smx kit! I can't remember the thickness of the shells, but my neighbor had one and it sounded just like the masters kit that year.
    Green burst is very nice!

User Info Menu

That's a great smx kit! I can't remember the thickness of the shells, but my neighbor had one and it sounded just like the masters kit that year.
    Green burst is very nice!
    Thanks Al. I have had the SMX for about 2 years now and love it.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

The snares had a much more homgenous wood, and yes, open sound.

zinc and aluminum die cast are made by yamaha, and are used on masters and a line of oak. They are much less damping than steel by virtue of less weight (they weigh a fraction of steel).

The weight and pressure of a metal hoop clamps the motion of a shell and chokes the wood shell overtones out, much like holding the shell in your hands.
    I guess it's a matter of opinion now. All these things I type are researched, mostly through publications(drum building books ect.) but also based on knowledge given to me by master drum builders. It's not just how I perceive it. I know the weight of a rim has nothing to do with how the rim will reflect or absorb vibration(once tensioned), only the density of the material(whether it's wood, carbon, or nickle).
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl

User Info Menu

Oh and nice PEARL kits everyone. Havn't had a Pearl since my old mid 80's DX Professional series. That was one beefy set of pearls. It's nice to know they're still puuting out nice stuff at reasonable prices.

User Info Menu

Visions

User Info Menu

I guess it's a matter of opinion now. All these things I type are researched, mostly through publications(drum building books ect.) but also based on knowledge given to me by master drum builders. It's not just how I perceive it. I know the weight of a rim has nothing to do with how the rim will reflect or absorb vibration(once tensioned), only the density of the material(whether it's wood, carbon, or nickle).
    The difference is, I actually *DID* I didn't read about them, I built them. Everyone that heard my snare agreed.

How are you "hearing" things exactly when you are only reading about them? How do you form an opinion without actually doing things?

Isn't that the plot of the movie "Good will Hunting?" That's a badly flawed way to form an opinion. It's like saying you experienced the war just as I did because you read about it and got information from master reporters from CNN.

I am not a "master" drum builder but it's not rocket science. I have built many kits from scratch, and modified drums since the 70's.
    Both of these are recent:

Incidentally, I have amassed a library of drum building books. I put them to good use as well. Did these "master drum builders" (who you can name BTW, don't be shy) build their own shells? Did they write any of my books? If so, maybe I know them.

And BTW: I have done a lot of research on playboy playmates. They seem to be very physically attractive, though I could be generalizing because I have never seen them in person. Someone said that many of them have university degrees so my research leads me to believe that none of them have any psychological issues and would make a low-maintenance wife. That's not interpretation, because people that subscribe to playboy tell me this all the time. I never actually dated one, but what's the difference? I have the knowledge of people who have dated them, so it's the same as if I went on a date.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-04-2009 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I've built many sets of drums from scratch. Not screw some lugs onto a shell, but steem bend and glue layer after layer, day after day, plane, cut the edge, drill, sand, and assemble. All with varying results. Not kits out of a box. So because I didn't state that I had built any YOU ASSUMED I havn't. Anyone can say "I've done this and that" but your take on the outcome is still an opinion, especially in regards to sound. If the opinion matches the general collective thinking in that area then it can be said "It's common knowledge that.......", however, if it goes against the general consensus and is being stated as fact, an opinion is being given too much credit. I like going by the opinions that are written and accepted like Craviotto, Dunnet and Maroevich(if I have to namedrop), not mine, so I don't throw my few experiences around like concrete fact. I havn't built a set in 5 or so years, because it's more expensive now and i guess you'd say the thrill is gone in it for me. But I spent close to ten doing it and hanging out with many cats into the same thing. I'm stating what I know. Way to take it personal AL. And not very tastefully. Not nice to insult people with sarcasm.

Coulda started it with: "Well have you ever built a drum set?Here's five pics of my "some assembly required" kit...." Nope you went off in a childish sarcastic manner...PRETTY SAD DUDE! That is the same kit as stated by you in an earlier thread. Just before and after rewrap. I hope your not representing them as two different kits now.

User Info Menu

I've built many sets of drums from scratch. Not screw some lugs onto a shell, but steem bend and glue layer after layer, day after day, plane, cut the edge, drill, sand, and assemble. All with varying results. Not kits out of a box. So because I didn't state that I had built any YOU ASSUMED I havn't. Anyone can say "I've done this and that" but your take on the outcome is still an opinion, especially in regards to sound. If the opinion matches the general collective thinking in that area then it can be said "It's common knowledge that.......", however, if it goes against the general consensus and is being stated as fact, an opinion is being given too much credit. I like going by the opinions that are written and accepted like Craviotto, Dunnet and Maroevich(if I have to namedrop), not mine, so I don't throw my few experiences around like concrete fact. I havn't built a set in 5 or so years, because it's more expensive now and i guess you'd say the thrill is gone in it for me. But I spent close to ten doing it and hanging out with many cats into the same thing. I'm stating what I know. Way to take it personal AL. And not very tastefully. Not nice to insult people with sarcasm.

Coulda started it with: "Well have you ever built a drum set?Here's five pics of my "some assembly required" kit...." Nope you went off in a childish sarcastic manner...PRETTY SAD DUDE! That is the same kit as stated by you in an earlier thread. Just before and after rewrap. I hope your not representing them as two different kits now.
    I agree, you are childish and an ego driven forum fleeb. That is common knowledge. I could have done many things, except I confronted your erroneous and arrogant statements and (deleted )declarations like "I know these master drum makers" crap. I suppose that makes you a drum jedi now. Big deal, they all have opinions and biases. Dunnett is a master internet troll and ghostnote busted him on it. I could care less what that northern elf has to say.

It's paint, not a wrap you.... (deleted due to language and intense flaming. This will not be tolerated here. - Drummer)

Pretty sad dude. Now cry me a river.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-05-2009 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Way to help the site's community guys; a public thread from someone asking for an opinion on kits is the perfect place to start a flame war.
    zerOrings are bad people.